Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

300 Million Year Old Machinery Found

Still Waters

how would anyone know that its 300 million years old? we all know that carbon dating is flawed because it has dated 50 year old objects as several million years old. although i do believe in ufos and extraterrestrial life, i think a lot of times people are just looking way too hard

Age, in this case, would be determined (probably) by the context in which it was found. Finding it in a Carboniferous seam of coal would place it between 360 - 286 Million years old.

I think this is some kind of hoax, or has not been investigated with any rigour... saying that, there are lots of interesting OOPArts in the world (Out Of Place Artefacts) which are sometimes difficult to fully explain.

Interesting, I've read other accounts of odd items being found in coal before. It doesn't seem to be faked to me. As for how old these items are, carbon dating very well could be wrong but I didn't do the testing haven't seen the items up close, so, I don't know.

Same goes for the origin of these artifacts, I just would like fact separated from opinion. Can't say something is extraterrestrial in origin because how the heck would we know that?

Aluminium is something that would take last that long. Who makes gears out of it anyway?

You MIGHT find aluminium gears where required (lightweight - minimal use) but ordinarily it does not have sufficient mechanical strength to be used continuously, or under heavy load conditions.

• Like 1

You MIGHT find aluminium gears where required (lightweight - minimal use) but ordinarily it does not have sufficient mechanical strength to be used continuously, or under heavy load conditions.

That's assuming it's even a gear. They're going entirely by it's superficial resemblance to the rack half of a rack and pinion. Could be almost anything.

If you look really closely to it you can see the Sony trademark on the bottom,next to the old price tag,and part number!

Welll Its a start ! :clap:

300 million year old piece of aluminum machinery..... Would someone be shocked if this turned out to be BS? :lol:

Not one bit, considering the source of the article.

...snip

That established, the first question we should ask is where did the coal come from? An underground mine, a strip mine or reclaimed salvage, like mudlarks used to do with bits of coal lost in the Thames during offloading? The item wasn't found until the consumer had got ahold of it so the coal could've come from anywhere and the item imbedded at any step of way who knows when. A strip mine for instance makes a huge difference as that's all surface mining.

The specimen itself may be questionable in that while most of it has the characteristic glassy sheen of solid coal, the area immediately around the contact point with the imbedded metal appears almost powdery and unconsolidated. The corrosion apparent on the object is meaningless, as aluminum is known to weather rather quickly when exposed to mercury, which destroys it's protective oxide layer. The fact that the inner surface appears almost undamaged suggests it wasn't sitting in any bog for millions of years waiting for coalification to set in.

I was thinking the same. It's the consumer that found the object, just before firing it up. Seems to me that there is plenty of time for an object to be accidentally wedged into a piece of coal, between the mine and the man.

Aluminium is used in transportation as sheet, tube, castings, in construction, in many things really. There are numerous ways it could have ended up in the coal

Edited by TheSearcher
  • Like 1

coooooool you cant trust those scientist guys ! i bet they are wrong with the date ! i only hope its ufo origin :D

That article just doesn't ring true to me especially with all the other outlandish claims in it, why have we not heard of them before?

Never heard of OOPART (out of place artifacts) before? google it.

hey, the Hopi Indians have always said that there have been other "worlds" on planet earth before us. maybe they're right

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

Age, in this case, would be determined (probably) by the context in which it was found. Finding it in a Carboniferous seam of coal would place it between 360 - 286 Million years old.

I think this is some kind of hoax, or has not been investigated with any rigour... saying that, there are lots of interesting OOPArts in the world (Out Of Place Artefacts) which are sometimes difficult to fully explain.

uh huh. like the 100 million year old fossilized finger of a man.

http://thebiggestsecretsoftheworld.blogspot.com/2011/02/fossilized-human-finger-oopart.html

lots of stuff like htat has been found over the years.

Another question that interests Russian scientists is whether the aluminum alloy is of Earthly origin. It is known from the study of meteorites that there exists extra-terrestrial aluminum-26 which subsequently breaks down to magnesium-26. The presence of 2 percent of magnesium in the alloy might well point to the alien origin of the aluminum detail. It could also be evidence of some past, unknown civilization on Earth. Nonetheless, further testing is needed to confirm this hypothesis.

Uhhhhh.... Magnesium is one of the most commonly alloyed metal with aluminum. Along with Silicon, Iron, Copper and ZInc. 2% is not unusual. Not even right here on Earth.

http://www.luskmetals.com/chemalum.html

I'm going to go with the theory that it came from the processing of the coal. Looks to me like it could be teeth from some kind of roller on a conveyor belt.

Is aluminm ever in pure form in nature, like gold can be?

First one with the right answer will win an All expenses paid trip for two on the Mars wackin-bush Imaginary Space Hotel Ship ! All aboard !!

Edited by DONTEATUS

I once found a glass marble on a conveyor belt coming from a coal crusher. I never could figure out how it got there. It had to come from inside the coal.

I do not get how this is not possibly natural formation to be quite honest.

12786750.jpg

• Like 1

Is aluminm ever in pure form in nature, like gold can be?

I believe aluminum is almost exclusively found in its oxide form in nature.

Because of its strong affinity to oxygen, it is not found in the elemental state but only in combined forms such as oxides or silicates.

http://nautilus.fis.uc.pt/st2.5/scenes-e/elem/e01300.html

I've yet to see a believable ancient aluminum artifact. Most appear to be crude fakes done by heating the aluminum to make it appear old.

• Like 2

I do not get how this is not possibly natural formation to be quite honest.

12786750.jpg

Yeah. I am not even considering that pic. It appears to be a rock that got into the coal bed.

• Like 1

I believe aluminum is almost exclusively found in its oxide form in nature.

http://nautilus.fis....lem/e01300.html

I've yet to see a believable ancient aluminum artifact. Most appear to be crude fakes done by heating the aluminum to make it appear old.

Indeed, as far as I know, the only place that it is found as a metal is inside a volcanoe, although native aluminium has been reported in cold seeps in the northeastern continental slope of the South China Sea. Bacteria seems to be the likely culprit for the catalyst.

Yeah. I am not even considering that pic. It appears to be a rock that got into the coal bed.

I thought that was supposed to be the original find, the "tooth" in the lump of coal.

I thought that was supposed to be the original find, the "tooth" in the lump of coal.

I thought that the thing still in the coal was supposed to be the Wheel part of the device.

I thought that the thing still in the coal was supposed to be the Wheel part of the device.

Could be, it is very ambiguous, above that picture it says

The metal detail which was recently found by Vladivostok resident is yet another discovery which perplexed the scientists. The coal in which the metal object was pressed was delivered to Primorye from Chernogorodskiy mines of Khakasia region. Knowing that the coal deposits of this region date 300 million years back, Russian experts inferred that the metal detail found in these deposits must be an age-mate of the coal.

Either way, I do not see evidence of manufacture here.

Okay, I'm going to rewrite the thread's headline, from;

"300 Million Year Old Machinery Found, Experts Say May Be Extraterrestrial".

To:

"Unsubstantiated Chunk of Coal (That 'May' Be 300 Million Years Old, No One's Really Checked) Contains So Far Guessed at Piece of Undetermined Aluminum, So-called 'Experts' (Smartest Guys That We Could Find Right Now) Say That, 'They Don't Know. Sure... It Could Have Fallen From The Sky'!"

Nope, too much ink. They'll go with the first headline. :)

• Like 4