Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lady in the water

MissJatti

A few years ago, I went to India for holiday/vacation. Travelling up the country, I stayed in a small town in Uttar Pardesh for a few days.

One day in U.P, I managed to stumble and over hear a person saying something "underwater comes up and drown men", to a group of people.

Quite intrigued I integrated myself into the group. Puzzled to what I heard, I ask them.... " Something under water??? Drowning men???

One of the guys, with what seems to be a serious looking face and a serious tone of voice says.

"There is a pond in the north-east in the hills. Surrounding the pond is a very narrow footpath. Sometimes a lady in the water, head and shoulders comes out, her arm stretches to grab any man by the ankle that is passing by. Her strength so powerful, that how hard you struggle, she will drag you underwater, and that man is never seen again, and the lady just disappears, only to come out again later"

Another person in the group explained what lady in the water is. "Long ago, nobody knows when exactly. A husband murdered his wife, and dumped the body in that pond. She has her revenge by drowning any man walking by that has problems/arguments with his wife"

As I looked around at the group, I sensed they know the lady in the water, and the atmosphere was serious about the matter.

I asked questions such as, "How do you know this lady in the water? Who is it? What is it?"

I got multiple responses from multiple people. "Its a lady, a woman" "Mid 20's" "Seems late 1800s time" "By the way shes dressed" "Seems to be a ghost/spirit, but looks so real"

The guys said the lady in the water events reached to these group of people from word of mouth to word of mouth to word of mouth. But 2 of the guys said they have witnessed the lady in the water and never want to go back anywhere near that pond.

One of the guy in the group was about to tell that the lady in the water took another victim before I rudely intervened. But the guys seemed sincere.

Afraid and did not want to invade their privacy I did not ask who they were, where they are from etc etc.

That was the only time I heard about this lady in the water, but I never pursued this any further

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissJatti

• Still Waters

• Ealdwita

• freetoroam

whats this got to do with the title?

I believe this story is a myth.

• Like 1

ops ignore the title, I was planning a trip to the highlands and was searching the net on the matter before posting this post.. But how did them words get on the title of the post??? I dont bloody know lol

*Topic title changed*

how do i change the title??

how do i change the title??

You can't. Topic titles can only be changed by a Moderator but I've already done it. See my post above, or did you want it changed to something else?

800px-Ophelia_john_everett_millais.jpg

And by the moon, the reaper weary,

Piling sheaves in uplands airy,

Listening, whispers, " 'Tis the faery,

Lady of Shalott."

300px-La_Dame_du_Lac.jpg

The lady of the lake taking the infant Lancelot.

I have heard of the lady of the lake from the Arthurian stories but I havent heard of a lady/female drowning men in a pond sounds like a local story to keep young men away from ?, maybe a local farmer started the story you know the one where they have only daughters to keep the rif-raf away etc etc.

There was a movie called "Lady in the Water" and I thought that this is what the post was about but now I can see it clearly is not.

Isn't that what sirens do? Lure men out to the oceans and all?

You can't. Topic titles can only be changed by a Moderator but I've already done it. See my post above, or did you want it changed to something else?

Ohhhh ok, thank you Moderator ^^

its fine as it is lol

Edited by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart