Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Toys

MissJatti

has anyone knows or experienced a toy or appliance or gadget (anything really) that runs on battery/mains, that was turned off, BUT still was working.

I had a spooky experience, where in the middle of the night my daughters laptop started saying A, moments later A again moments later A again moments later T. And the "moments" differ

As some of you readers may know, I always had a very eerie going ons with me. So I got my wife to check it out. I went along too, and saw the toy laptop.

The laptop switch was turned off and one of the battery was missing, (which my daughter put into one of her other toy) and there was nothing placed upon the keypads of the laptop...

If that thing is working on its own it time to go.

fire alarms do this....unplugged, no batteries, yet will still beep.

Electonics, stored energy, etc.....

• Like 1

has anyone knows or experienced a toy or appliance or gadget (anything really) that runs on battery/mains, that was turned off, BUT still was working.

I had a spooky experience, where in the middle of the night my daughters laptop started saying A, moments later A again moments later A again moments later T. And the "moments" differ

As some of you readers may know, I always had a very eerie going ons with me. So I got my wife to check it out. I went along too, and saw the toy laptop.

The laptop switch was turned off and one of the battery was missing, (which my daughter put into one of her other toy) and there was nothing placed upon the keypads of the laptop...

Maybe twice. Once is was a big boom box . I moved it upstairs after that . Totally creeped me out . It's still up there.

I tried to use it recently ,and it was broken .No idea how. Just thinking to out it out with the trash next collection day .

What do you do,when the litter bin lid keeps flipping off,when no one is near ?

fire alarms do this....unplugged, no batteries, yet will still beep.

I can vouch for this. Our fire alarm drove us nuts once.

• Like 2

I build electronic devices as a hobby and vouch for the fact that it isn't uncommon for electronic devices to remain charged after the battery is removed. As several people have pointed out here smoke alarms are notorious for this. Additionally devices that work with radio frequencies can sometimes build up parasitic energy through their antennas that can in rare cases be used to run the device. Basically any device with large capacitors, which work like very small batteries to temporarily store or filter power, can and will come to life on occassion. It's more rare these days as electronics get smaller, but it happens.

In the case of this toy I'm sure I could solder a bleeder resistor between one leg of the large capacitor causing the problem and the ground and you'd never hear from the toy in the middle of the night again.

Edited by chazrich
  • Like 1

I build electronic devices as a hobby and vouch for the fact that it isn't uncommon for electronic devices to remain charged after the battery is removed. As several people have pointed out here smoke alarms are notorious for this. Additionally devices that work with radio frequencies can sometimes build up parasitic energy through their antennas that can in rare cases be used to run the device. Basically any device with large capacitors, which work like very small batteries to temporarily store or filter power, can and will come to life on occassion. It's more rare these days as electronics get smaller, but it happens.

In the case of this toy I'm sure I could solder a bleeder resistor between one leg of the large capacitor causing the problem and the ground and you'd never hear from the toy in the middle of the night again.

Awesome post.......Welcome to UM

Capacitors store electricity and my be an answer to your mystery.