Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

large moon halo

a vampire wears my boxers

got a call from my sister asking me if i had seen the moon. upon looking up at it, i saw the largest moon halo i have ever seen. creeped me out a lil at first. it looks awesome.

Cool, I learned about moon halos for the first time in my life a few weeks or so ago, and coincidentally saw my first just a few hours later.

The moon also has a bright planet hanging out with it tonight.

• Like 1

Cool, I learned about moon halos for the first time in my life a few weeks or so ago, and coincidentally saw my first just a few hours later.

The moon also has a bright planet hanging out with it tonight.

Jupiter... Aldebaran is close too.

Yeah, I took a shot of it, and realized after looking at it how it is a forced perspective shot on a grand scale.

I give you Jupiter (11 times the size of our planet) vs. the moon (1/4 the size of our planet):

8403853061_a73203092d_z.jpg

Like this:

forced-perspective-2.jpg

But on a truly astronomical scale (in more ways than one)!

edit: And if I'm seeing that right, and the OP's profile image is The Macho Man Randy Savage elbow dropping in on God in heaven, that is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen in my life.

Edited by _Only

Yeah, I took a shot of it, and realized after looking at it how it is a forced perspective shot on a grand scale.

I give you Jupiter (11 times the size of our planet) vs. the moon (1/4 the size of our planet):

8403853061_a73203092d_z.jpg

Brilliant shot! What kind of zoom lens are you using? Its crystal clear!

It was a 30x zoom lens, but I only used like 20x or so because anything closer was too blurry. Messing with the exposure in Picmonkey helped clear it up a lot, too.