Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Men Commit More Scientific Fraud Than Women

Hasina

Men Commit More Scientific Fraud Than Women

Men are more likely than women to commit scientific fraud, a new analysis of misconduct convictions reveals. And the urge to cheat spans the entire range of academic careers, from students to seasoned professors.

For the new study, published today (Jan. 22) in the journal mBio, scientists examined 228 cases of misconduct in the records of the United States Office of Research Integrity (ORI), a government agency that oversees research funded by federal, public health-related agencies. Part of the ORI's mission is to monitor investigations of charges such as fabrication of data and plagiarism.

"The big picture is not that most scientists are dishonest, it's the opposite," said study researcher Ferric Fang, a microbiologist at the University of Washington School of Medicine. "But on the other hand, a few scientists being dishonest is a very bad thing, because it casts doubt on the whole enterprise."

Source: http://www.livescience.com/26464-men-commit-more-scientific-fraud.html

We always have to be right,even if it means tarnishing a whole field of study its just a small price to pay for being RIGHT! Hahahaha jk

Men are more likely than women to commit scientific fraud,

Only because men vastly outnumber women in the upper echelons of science.

'Among research staff, 43 percent of those committing misconduct were male. Among students, men made up 58 percent of transgressors. That number rose to 69 percent among postdoctoral researchers and to 88 percent of faculty.

Among the 72 faculty members who committed fraud, only nine were female, the researchers found. That's one-third of what would be expected if the genders were committing fraud at the same rates.

It's not clear why the gender gap exists, Casadevall said. Men are generally known to take more risks than women, which could play a role. Additionally, the researchers can't rule out the possibility that women commit misconduct as frequently as men, but don't get caught.

The researchers did find, however, that the proportion of men and women investigated for fraud was similar to the proportion found guilty, Fang said. So the investigation process itself does not appear gender-biased.'

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

As Fang also wrote (which, for some reason, was not included in the opening post):

"We cannot exclude the possibility that females commit research misconduct as frequently as males but are less likely to be detected."

Fang also said it’s unclear whether these trends would be the same in other countries, given that the U.S. is the only one with an ORI.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

And lack nice boobies. If you have nice (female) boobies, lies are forgiven far quicker or just ignored completely.

• Like 1

And lack nice boobies. If you have nice (female) boobies, lies are forgiven far quicker or just ignored completely.

Or she can just flutter her eyelashes.

• Like 1

This thread is on the verge of going downhill very fast.

Just keep in mind it's a US study using a very small sample size from a specific field.

• Like 1

Not likely if it's a scientific review panel.

Oh, and having a 'nice rack' can get you a free drink but they're certainly not a trump card for success (can work quite the opposite sometimes). Trust me, this I know.

• Like 1

As Fang also wrote (which, for some reason, was not included in the opening post):

"We cannot exclude the possibility that females commit research misconduct as frequently as males but are less likely to be detected."

Fang also said it’s unclear whether these trends would be the same in other countries, given that the U.S. is the only one with an ORI.

Exactly one of the quotes I pointed out in my second post.

As Timothy said, small sample size, only in one country in one profession, I wouldn't give this study much credence other then the fact that there's just too much fraud in the scientific field (would be HILARIOUS if this study was fraudulent).

• Like 1

Not likely if it's a scientific review panel.

Oh, and having a 'nice rack' can get you a free drink but they're certainly not a trump card for success (can work quite the opposite sometimes). Trust me, this I know.

I was only joking, ma'am. Trying to raise a few smiles, that's all.

Sincere apologies.

So women are better at not getting caught :yes:

Because they are smarter?

this just in, men suffer more injuries while lifting wieghts than women...

Kinda hard to pull a muscle making sandwiches.

• Like 1

Kinda hard to pull a muscle making sandwiches.

Put more effort into it then lol You men are meant to be better in the kitchen.. :P

I was only joking, ma'am. Trying to raise a few smiles, that's all.

Sincere apologies.

I'm not offended at all. I actually find it amusing...kind of wish having a nice set of 'girls' would offer a real advantage!