Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bali drugs: Death sentence for Briton

ExpandMyMind

The use to run adverts at cinema's telling people if you get caught smuggling drugs abroad you will be subjected to that countries laws. They also explain the British embassies could find you a solicitor, deliver mail, get translators and arrange visitation, but they can't get you out.

Maybe they should re-run these on airport TV's.

Tbh the death penalty is just plain wrong regardless of what crime has been committed.

The fact that they are enforcing it in Indonesia just goes to show how barbaric and inhumane they are.

It dosn't matter what the amount and quality of the drug are but any self-aware drug smugglers should serve hard time.

I'll even go as far to say a life sentence with no possibility of parole.

If this little incident happened in a more civilised country like the UK and the USA some campaigning lawyer should get her off.

The little fact that their mental health issues got exploited would sway any jury into making the right decision.

But alas she to had to face the music in front of a kangaroo court without any hope of clemency.

That's so unfair when your an unwilling patsy but something still bugs me...

If this was a genuine drug smuggling operation what would be the point if they knew the drugs were going to get seized.

It could be more than mental health issues being exploited and actually a full- blown vendetta.

But she could putting on a show and making us look like monkies.

Edited by Medium Brown

Tbh the death penalty is just plain wrong regardless of what crime has been committed.

The fact that they are enforcing it in Indonesia just goes to show how barbaric and inhumane they are.

It dosn't matter what the amount and quality of the drug are but any self-aware drug smugglers should serve hard time.

If this little incident happened in a more civilised country like the UK and the USA some campaigning lawyer should get her off.

The little fact that their mental health issues got exploited would sway any jury into making the right decision.

But alas she to had to face the music in front of a kangaroo court without any hope of clemency.

If this was a genuine drug smuggling operation what would be the point if they knew the drugs were going to get seized.

It could be more than mental health issues being exploited and actually a full- blown vendetta.

Nothing "LITTLE" about this. Illicit drugs RUIN lives. Nothing 3rd world about Indonesia. No Kangaroo Court here either.

Why do you think that living where you do makes you so superior when it comes to Judicature. Look at your own System before judging Indonesia, and tell me how "Wonderfully" perfect your own system is.

Of course this was a "Genuine drug smuggling operation" and she could always have informed the authorities who have very discrete methods of helping those who are "forced" into these situations.

Wow, 10 lbs is a lot! It's a lot of drug, and that would be pretty bulky to try smuggling. I dunno how much it is after it's cut, but I bet a lot more than 10 pounds.

And I think death is a bit much. Especially since it's way over what the prosecution was asking for, 15 years.

Man oh man. I'm not going to comment any more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21137649

Barbaric. I mean if a country has tough drugs laws, that's their business, but the death penalty? By firing squad? Though with it being Indonesia, this is hardly surprising considering their numerous acts of genocide and ethnic cleansing.

Should have given her 15 years - life. I mean it was only 5kg - they go through more than that on a Friday night in Glasgow.

I hope the Foreign Office fight for her, idiot that she is.

She might be one of my countries people but if she's smugged drugs they shoot execute the scumbag.

What you think about her statement that she was only smuggling drugs because her children were in danger?

If that was true she would have gone straight to the police.

Wether you agree with the Death Penalty or not,I don't believe for one minute she is innocent and she knew the risks and therefore I have no sympathy for her.If her sentence is commuted to a prison term on appeal,then time in an Indonesian prison would be horrific and quite frankly she wouldn't survive that long.

kerobokan-prisoners.jpg

She might be one of my countries people but if she's smugged drugs they shoot execute the scumbag.

If she was your mother? Or someone very close to you?

• Like 1

My guess she only done it for the money. The children in danger is not good excuse

To think that drug criminals will not threaten your family, you would be sadly mistaken...It was reported that there is real evidence that she also has mental problems too.. She was perfect for these drug criminals..

To think that drug criminals will not threaten your family, you would be sadly mistaken...It was reported that there is real evidence that she also has mental problems too.. She was perfect for these drug criminals..

Poor excuse,she should have informed the authorities that her family had been threatened.She obviously does have mental problems if she thought she could smuggle drugs into Indonesia and get away with it.The situation is of her own making unfortunately.

Nothing "LITTLE" about this. Illicit drugs RUIN lives. Nothing 3rd world about Indonesia. No Kangaroo Court here either.

Why do you think that living where you do makes you so superior when it comes to Judicature. Look at your own System before judging Indonesia, and tell me how "Wonderfully" perfect your own system is.

Of course this was a "Genuine drug smuggling operation" and she could always have informed the authorities who have very discrete methods of helping those who are "forced" into these situations.

Well it does seem like small fry compared to recent events in a certain Brazillian nightclub.

Dosn't excuse the fact that my terminology was a little bit off by calling it little.

I fully realise the full extent of international drug smuggling but getting the death penalty is a little bit draconian.

I might have been jumping to conclusions by calling it a kangaroo court but there's no way I'm acting smug and superior.

I'm not one of these guys who's perched in his ivory towers because I know the British justice system isn't foolproof.

But at least they have a sense of proportion which is what these Indonesian guys are truly lacking.

You'll have to admit I didn't truly exonerate her which is as clear as mud in my last sentence.

I kept an open mind despite her mental health problems.

Man oh man. I'm not going to comment any more.

At least your cool about everything else you didn't underline.

Poor excuse,she should have informed the authorities that her family had been threatened.She obviously does have mental problems if she thought she could smuggle drugs into Indonesia and get away with it.The situation is of her own making unfortunately.

It's so darn easy to sit back and chant - couldda wouldda shouldda

It's so darn easy to sit back and chant - couldda wouldda shouldda

Oh well sucks to be her.

Oh well sucks to be her.

It would suck even more for ANYONE else who's mother faced this.. You, me or anyone else.. I am so glad my mother isnt facing that..It would suck if she did, not just for her, but those of us that love her.. Isnt it great to be able to freely post up any old bit of carefree opinions? Marvellous... Because bad things can never happen to any one of us...Just people like her with mental problems..

• Like 2

Every time I go to Bali, I'm always paranoid going through customs. Even though I know I have nothing on me, still makes me worry for some reason. Now I couldn't imagine the stress a drug smuggler would be going through.

Also we may think the punishment is too harsh but it's their call, their country. People on here can'y say it's too rough or wrong.

The smugglers all know the risk.

Every time I go to Bali, I'm always paranoid going through customs. Even though I know I have nothing on me, still makes me worry for some reason. Now I couldn't imagine the stress a drug smuggler would be going through.

Also we may think the punishment is too harsh but it's their call, their country. People on here can'y say it's too rough or wrong.

The smugglers all know the risk.

So true,personally I hate Drugs and the damage they do to peoples lives.You wouldn't be surprised to learn that I think this woman knew what she was doing and now will pay severely for her stupidity.

Apparently two British women were caught the other day trying to smuggle drugs into the US.Hope they throw the key away.....

So true,personally I hate Drugs and the damage they do to peoples lives.You wouldn't be surprised to learn that I think this woman knew what she was doing and now will pay severely for her stupidity.

Apparently two British women were caught the other day trying to smuggle drugs into the US.Hope they throw the key away.....

Yeah I agree, there are many Australians in Bali prisons for drug smuggling, a lot of them have said they were in danger so they did it or they had no idea it was on them. Doubt any of it is true. Stupid risk to take in my opinion.

Reading some of the above posts makes me cringe as half of them haven't a clue what they are talking about,I spend over 30 years of my life catching drug smugglers,(not users who I feel sorry for as they got into a mess they cant get out of), but Smugglers deserve what comes to them. Anyone who smuggles Misery and eventual Death deserves what they get if/when they are caught. Smugglers live a fairly good life on other peoples Misery.If this person had not been caught she would have been paid and then done it again, and again.and Again.

• Like 2

Reading some of the above posts makes me cringe as half of them haven't a clue what they are talking about,I spend over 30 years of my life catching drug smugglers,(not users who I feel sorry for as they got into a mess they cant get out of), but Smugglers deserve what comes to them. Anyone who smuggles Misery and eventual Death deserves what they get if/when they are caught. Smugglers live a fairly good life on other peoples Misery.If this person had not been caught she would have been paid and then done it again, and again.and Again.

Does this mean you also advocate death for bartenders and shopkeepers with cigarette licences? I'm not saying your view is entirely wrong or anything, but I just like to highlight the double standards (considering alcohol is the worst drug of them all).

• Like 1

I don't know that I would advocate executing anyone. The temptation to a young person to make a quick buck is huge, and as they mature they will learn otherwise. Kill them and they will never have the chance.

Still, if you travel in SE Asia, and carry quantities of illegal drugs with you, it can happen. I can't imagine anyone who isn't aware of this. Usually, though, it doesn't go that far -- but, still, a stint in prison is not good either.

She'll probably have it revoked to a life sentence if the EU council step in and ask for sanctions, with an eventual deportation to cosy England.

Still, the death penalty is a bit harsh for this.

• Like 1

Still, the death penalty is a bit harsh for this.

Of course its harsh, and I can't imagine they will actually carry it out. The thing is lots of locals get executed for even less, but she has the benefit of being a foreigner and they don't want to scare off tourists. They just want to make a point to these tourists.

Does this mean you also advocate death for bartenders and shopkeepers with cigarette licences? I'm not saying your view is entirely wrong or anything, but I just like to highlight the double standards (considering alcohol is the worst drug of them all).

I didnt make the Law old son I just carried it out,but I think you are being rather pedantic about Cigs/Alchohol.