Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How wasps and fungi can save crops

Still Waters

Blinking in the blazing Brazilian sun, a farmer looks up at the sound of an aeroplane, flying low over his sugarcane plantation in Sao Paulo.

A hatch suddenly opens, and a white cloud emerges.

It may look like pesticide, but these are live eggs falling down - from wasps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-21043896

• Like 1

While I can certainly see the use of one bug to get rid of another bug, I think it's important that bugs which are native to the area are used, just in abundance. Otherwise you have a major problem with an invasive species.

• Like 1

While I can certainly see the use of one bug to get rid of another bug, I think it's important that bugs which are native to the area are used, just in abundance. Otherwise you have a major problem with an invasive species.

And what happens when these wasps in their turn become pests that need eradicating?

"Blinking in the blazing Brazilian sun, a farmer looks up at the sound of an aeroplane, flying low over his sugarcane plantation in Sao Paulo.

A hatch suddenly opens, and a white cloud emerges.

It may look like pesticide, but these are jars of strawberry jam."

• Like 1

I hope they aren't sorry they did this and it doesn't start destroying beneficial bugs.