Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Stuff (guitar rock instrumental)

MedicTJ

http://www.reverbnation.com/tjflickinger

I've posted some of my stuff up here in past years, but thought I'd post up some of the newer stuff.

Every instrument you hear is performed by myself. Almost no drum machines this time. I bought a Yamaha DTXexpressIII drum kit a while ago and have been using that for almost all of the newer songs. One exception is "Oscuridad", where I programmed an Alesis SR-16 for that track, and mainly for the Latin-esque toms.

As it says in the title, this is mainly rock instrumental guitar.

Hope some of you enjoy.

• Like 4

Thanks for posting this. I am also trying to get into recording multi-instrument music on my own. Do you use ProTools to make these?

I really like the riff for Beneath The Ice. You seem well aware that a good guitar solo is only as good as its backing rhythm guitar riff allows it to be. And you have solid ones!

These remind me of being a teen in my room learning riffs and solos from my 'learn to play guitar solos' songbook, playing along with the accompanying CD. Thanks for the memory! It makes me wish I stil had that Sunburst Stratocaster.

Nice playing there man. You're pretty tight!

Loving the SOS. Thought it was welcome to the jungle to start then it segued nicely into Dire Strates.

Wouldn't mind knowing myself what recording setup you're using, and maybe get all geeky and tell us about your gear!

Thanks for the responses! Although I have used Pro Tools in the recent past...and almost all of my friends who are into music prefer PC based recording....I still prefer to use a standalone multitrack unit.

The console I use is the Tascam 2488neo. For the guitar, I actually use a separate multitrack unit....a ZOOM MRS-80. The neo does have some guitar effects on board, but I found them to be a bit dull. But the ZOOM 16 track has COSM built in and there are a wealth of options in regards to guitar sounds and effects. Mainly, I tried to get the guitar as close as I could to how I sound when I play live, and I think I got it pretty much right.

I could just mic up my 4 X 12 Marshall cab and head, but less mic's means less ambient noise...so lining straight in from the ZOOM to the neo works perfectly for me.

One thing I might be getting into is using Pro Tools to edit and master. The Tascam's mastering section is fairly detailed and it works for me right now, but you simply can't get better than Pro Tools.

As for the music itself, my drumming needs to get A LOT better and that's what I'll be working on in the mean time.

Are all the guitar parts you play done on that strat in the picture?

If so. How do you get that humbuckery chunky tight sound in some places?

I know what you mean about the drums, but they are much better than a drum machine, or at least better than the noises I can get from one.

Every guitar sold should come with a free drummer..and cage to keep it in!

LOL Agreed!

Yes, all of the guitar parts are played on the strat in the pic. That's my baby. I've done quite a bit of customization on it, including ripping out the stock Fender pickups and installing a DiMarzio D'Activator in the bridge position, and two DiMarzio Cruiser stacked humbuckers in the middle and neck positions.

The different tones you hear are almost exclusively pickup switches. For the bluesier "fatter" type tones, I'll use strictly the neck pickup. For most of the chord work I'll use the bridge by itself. And in a few spots where I want to almost get a country "twang" type of sound, I'll switch to the 2nd position which is bridge and middle pickups.

And I highly recommend the DiMarzio pickups. At least the Cruisers. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Hey I really like "for Mum & Dad."

Hey I really like "for Mum & Dad."

Thanks, T. I'm not completely done with that one yet. The parts I have written to add are currently beyond my abilities to play fluently. But I'm working daily on it. Hopefully will have a full version worked up iin a couple of months.

LOL Agreed!

Yes, all of the guitar parts are played on the strat in the pic. That's my baby. I've done quite a bit of customization on it, including ripping out the stock Fender pickups and installing a DiMarzio D'Activator in the bridge position, and two DiMarzio Cruiser stacked humbuckers in the middle and neck positions.

The different tones you hear are almost exclusively pickup switches. For the bluesier "fatter" type tones, I'll use strictly the neck pickup. For most of the chord work I'll use the bridge by itself. And in a few spots where I want to almost get a country "twang" type of sound, I'll switch to the 2nd position which is bridge and middle pickups.

And I highly recommend the DiMarzio pickups. At least the Cruisers. One of the best purchases I ever made.

I might have a look at them cruisers. I been wanting a humbucker for my bridge for while now. Wouldn't change the neck though. I love that pickup... Then again I love my woman, but I'd swap her for Scarlett Johansson!

Is it a big job to do yourself, or best left to a luthier?

If you can work a soldering iron, it's a snap. The pickups come with directions on how to "phase" wire them if you like, or straight up direct.

There are several Youtube videos with tips as well. On the scale of difficulty, at least in my case, I'd say it was about a 5 on a 1-10.

Excellent recordings and some great musicianship!

I particularly enjoyed the Draugr Stomp, very catchy tune.

Thanks for posting. :tu: