Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tumor Found in 1,600-Year-Old Roman Corpse

Still Waters

In a necropolis in Spain, archaeologists have found the remains of a Roman woman who died in her 30s with a calcified tumor in her pelvis, a bone and four deformed teeth embedded within it.

Two of the teeth are still attached to the wall of the tumor researchers say.

http://www.livescien...man-corpse.html

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WoIverine

• wolfknight

• xYlvax

• bnnwbb

Alien. :w00t:

Seriously, though, it sounds like it might've been a fetus that somehow turned into a tumor? Sounds kinda creepy, but that's the first thing that came to mind. Other than the alien thing. :P

They are called Teratomas and they are not totally unheard of... (pretty gross though...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teratoma

A teratoma is an encapsulated tumor with tissue or organ components resembling normal derivatives of all three germ layers. The tissues of a teratoma, although normal in themselves, may be quite different from surrounding tissues and may be highly disparate; teratomas have been reported to contain hair, teeth, bone and, very rarely, more complex organs or processes such as eyes,[1][2] torso,[3][4] and hands, feet, or other limbs.[5]

Edited by Taun

Having worked in pathology i can verify they are more common than you think and they are weird to look at LOL but very cool at the same time...

Having worked in pathology i can verify they are more common than you think and they are weird to look at LOL but very cool at the same time...

I think I'll just have to take your word for that. lol :o

It is speculated that a teratoma could be a resorbed twin, in which case teeth and hair would make sense, wouldn't it?

It is speculated that a teratoma could be a resorbed twin, in which case teeth and hair would make sense, wouldn't it?

Im not sure anything makes sense when discussing this topic !

TiP.