Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

experienced the unexplained

mistyfi2me

My husband and I witnessed something yesterday which is still causing us to search for answers. I have a music box which has to be wound to play It belonged to my parents and they have passed on.. The music box doesn't work on batteries, it is just a music box which normally plays when wound. It hadn't been wound in several years, then amazingly both of us witnessed the music box playing last night. It sits on a mantle up high where no one could reach it without a step ladder and no one certainly wound it. The music playing was Amazing Grace and it played through the whole song. I have never believed anything like this could happen until now, and I still do not know or understand why it happened! My husband says it was a ghost as nothing else could explain it. I never have believed in ghost, but now I am left wondering what can explain such an incident. There was nothing happening to cause any motion to jar the object into playing the tune. Does anyone have any explaination for what happened? Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening before? I am refraining from even telling anyone I know personally because they would never believe this happened unless they saw it and heard it happen with their own eyes and ears!

• Like 1

Before you go towards ghosts, I suggest you email a music box repair place, and see what they say.

I am sure even sitting for a very long time, with the springs, and gears, over time, can release some energy.

• Like 3

Most music boxes work on a spindel spring and this spring can sometimes lock if wond to tight or if humidity is high.

I have seen some music boxes sit for as much as 30 years and not play a tune until the least tremor and then all of the sudden start playing as if they have just been wond!

Sorry but I think that your ghost has just been busted!

Thank You!!

Mike L. Flickner

S.I.G.H

Southern Indiana Ghost Hunters

• Like 3

I have had a music box start playing on its on, it was one of the wind up kind. I think sometimes it doesn't hold the wind good. Let it wind down completely, shake it to get it to play that last tune and see if it does it again.

I'm not saying its not a ghost, have seen one before, but there are other reasons this could happen.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who replied! I wasn't the one who believed it was a ghost. It was my husband as he does believe in them. I'm not a believer as I have never experienced anything to cause me to believe in one. This incident was quite strange and it did cause me to wonder about it. I think your explanation is something I hadn't considered, as I didn't know what could cause a music box to do this. It is interesting to learn that other music boxes had started on their own after setting for years. I was embarrassed to ask about it, but one doesn't find answers if they don't ask questions, and I had to search for a place to find an answer. Thanks again!

Thanks to all who replied! I wasn't the one who believed it was a ghost. It was my husband as he does believe in them. I'm not a believer as I have never experienced anything to cause me to believe in one. This incident was quite strange and it did cause me to wonder about it. I think your explanation is something I hadn't considered, as I didn't know what could cause a music box to do this. It is interesting to learn that other music boxes had started on their own after setting for years. I was embarrassed to ask about it, but one doesn't find answers if they don't ask questions, and I had to search for a place to find an answer. Thanks again!

You are very welcome :)

And welcome to UM.

• Like 1

It could also be that some sort of vibration knocked it loose and let it unwind just a bit more. It could have been seismic activity, or even just a truck going by. There are many different explanations, especially if it didn't play for all that long of a period. Keep us posted, though! If it keeps happening, or if you look down all avenues and they're dead ends, let us know what you find. :)

Sakari hit it on the nail. Exactly what i thought when i read your post mistyfi2me. But who knows, maybe it was your parents sending you a msg.

• 4 years later...

Baloney to the 'logical' (?) answers above. My music box just started playing also. It was NOT WOUND UP...and fyi---it plays all the way down..There are things BEYOND our understanding..such as Ghosts ( i have seen them AND my home here IS haunted ALSO)..and warnings of future events ARE REAL..EVEN IN THE Bible..so why not a music box also?

Welcome to UM michaelangelo :st Please, take time to read the site rules, check out some threads, and enjoy your time here on UM :tu:

You may not realize this, but the thread you are responding to hasn't been active in over four years. If you are interested in this subject, it has come up more recently here, you can use the search box in the upper right corner to help you out there. There's always the option of posting your story on it's own or even starting a blog here about it.

• Like 1