Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking for a First-person Shooter on Xbox360

Paranoid Android

So I've started playing my Xbox again recently. I bought Halo 4 (big Halo fan) and really loved the story Arc. But alas, it ended too quickly. Even replaying it on Legendary only made the same story a little longer so I sent it back for a refund.

These days much of the Xbox gamer community is focused on Xbox Live, unfortunately I don't have a Live account. First, I don't want to pay 100 bucks a year to sign up. Second, I don't want to end up spending all my time on the console (which would happen if I paid for Xbox Live). Unfortunately, this also means that much of the content of games is unavailable to me. I can't engage in endless multiplayer skirmishes. The fun of my gaming must be enjoyed in the storyline arcs and gameplay of Single player combat.

So with that in mind, I am looking for a First-person shooter to hold my interest. Halo 4 (already played) was good (great storyline, actually), but because it was so short it left me wanting more. The obvious choice is between Black Ops and Modern Warfare, but I thought I'd ask the UM community about which game they think has the best Single Player experience. Is it COD, MW, or something else?

Any help is appreciate :tu:

~ Regards, PA

Are you looking for a straight-forward FPS or something like Gears of War etc?

Bioshock. It'll take you quite a bit longer than Halo. At least it has taken me a lot longer. Then there is the second one and then third, Infinite, which is due out in the next couple of months. A good chance you've played them though; maybe you could list the ones you've played?

It's not a first person shooter, but the Mass Effect trilogy is epic and should last you a while. Crysis has a new game coming out in Feb as well I think.

Unfortunately you'll not find a massive amount of single-player content when it comes to the better games like Halo and CoD, because they seem to ignore the part of the game that doesn't make them as much money, as I'm sure you already know.

Doom 3 has recently been re-released on 360 and PS3. It includes all expansions AND Doom 1 and 2. So loads to do and honestly Doom 1 and 2 beats any COD game.

Mass Effect trilogy has one of the best story arcs...ever.

As for first person Dishonoured was a suprising success last year combining stealth, swordplay and magic. Well worth a look!

Not first person....but a game that is challenging I'd reccomend Demon Souls, Dark Souls. Check em out on youtube.

If you fancy strategy pie then I'd go for X-Com: Enemy Unknown. Turn based RTS type thingy.

The Gears of war series is one of the best on the Xbox.

Really would advise getting Live though, it only costs 1 game a year and you would save the money on mostly playing 1 or 2 games for a lot longer.

I mean take Halo or Gears for example. Probably a couple of days to a week to complete depending on how much you play each day. Then you need a new game. With Live you pretty much add a year or 2 to the games life expectancy.. lol

I played Gears 1 from release until Gears 2. (I think it was 2 years)

Already played Mass Effect and loved it, thanks for the Heads Up. I haven't gotten into Bioshock yet - not 1 or 2 or any game. Should I start at part 1 or dive in at the most recent version of the game?

And yeah - ExpandMyMind, I've noticed that Multiplayer seems to be the way of the future, and the way of making Microsoft a lot of money.

And coffey - I do see your point, I just feel that I have a very addictive personality, and if I do this I'll end up devoting large parts of my life to Xbox Live, something I'm not really sure i want to do at this stage.

• Like 1

Already played Mass Effect and loved it, thanks for the Heads Up. I haven't gotten into Bioshock yet - not 1 or 2 or any game. Should I start at part 1 or dive in at the most recent version of the game?

And yeah - ExpandMyMind, I've noticed that Multiplayer seems to be the way of the future, and the way of making Microsoft a lot of money.

And coffey - I do see your point, I just feel that I have a very addictive personality, and if I do this I'll end up devoting large parts of my life to Xbox Live, something I'm not really sure i want to do at this stage.

Bit of discipline and you'll be fine. All things in moderation.

I'd start on the first Bioshock (I got both last week and started this way, though my GF got me Mass Effect 3 for my birthday yesterday so that has taken over :)). Its storyline is truly unique and based on morality and human nature. Graphics may be a bit dated at times, but grabbing a gas canister with telekinesis and throwing it at a group of mobs never gets old. So, yeah, gameplay is still great.

Bioshock is the best single-player game I've played since Mass Effect 1 and 2 and has got to be up there with the all time best games ever.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Battlefield 3 all the way. I have some gameplay vids if you wanna check it out at http://youtube.com/sktm06

EDIT: Just re-read and noticed you don't have a Live account, in which I wouldn't go for Battlefield because it is made around its multiplayer. But look out because sometimes M$ offers free Live weekends. If you're going for singleplayer, I'd look at Farcry 3 and the new Tomb Raider is coming out, which looks awesome. Not to mention Crysis 3 is coming out early next month.

Edited by CRYSiiSx2

Bit of discipline and you'll be fine. All things in moderation.

Have you ever asked a person with an Addictive Personality to try things in Moderation? Easier said than done, lol :devil:

I'd start on the first Bioshock (I got both last week and started this way, though my GF got me Mass Effect 3 for my birthday yesterday so that has taken over :)). Its storyline is truly unique and based on morality and human nature. Graphics may be a bit dated at times, but grabbing a gas canister with telekinesis and throwing it at a group of mobs never gets old. So, yeah, gameplay is still great.

Bioshock is the best single-player game I've played since Mass Effect 1 and 2 and has got to be up there with the all time best games ever.

I guess I'll definitely try it out then. My brother has it on PC, but I think I'll try and do it on Xbox - I've never really gotten into the PC gaming side of things, lol

Battlefield 3 all the way. I have some gameplay vids if you wanna check it out at http://youtube.com/sktm06

The single player campaign is over far too quickly, which is what the poster was looking for. Battlefield single player lasts about as long as the CoDs.

Have you ever asked a person with an Addictive Personality to try things in Moderation? Easier said than done, lol :devil:

I guess I'll definitely try it out then. My brother has it on PC, but I think I'll try and do it on Xbox - I've never really gotten into the PC gaming side of things, lol

Apart from WoW, neither have I. And to be honest I'm a bit wary of playing any others and ending up like I was when on WoW again :) Though the Star Wars MMORPG seriously interests me.

I got both Bioshocks for 10 quid (5 each), second hand. Great deals you get from trade-in games shops.

Let me know if you enjoy it.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Well, to your original question, which is better, Black Ops or Modern Warfare 3, I played the heck out of MW3 before moving to BO2. They're both great, I'd start with MW3 and then move to BO2. Now, you said that you have to pay $100/year of Xbox Live?!? I only pay $50.00/year for Xbox Live Gold. If you REALLY love First person shooter games, Playing on Xbox Live opens all these games to a whole new world. They become very addicting!

Boderlands 2 Is a good one, its got a ton of side missions you can do in addition to the story, I hated COD that game is like 5 hours long I beat it in one sitting. Never again man. Also the before mentioned Bioshock and Dishonored games I had a lot of fun with.

Boarderlands 2 is pretty sweet. just got that myself and dont need to play online to get full experince,(i dont think) Gears of war 3 is pretty good. I dont do the CoD franchize. another one i recommend isnt a FPS but is pretty damn fun, darksiders 2 :rofl:

I'll recommend Borderlands 2 as well, it's a really good game.

And of course if you haven't played the first one then you can probably pick that up cheap as well. :tu:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Far Cry 3. It's one of the best FPS games I've ever played and it has an amazing, gripping story. The characters, gameplay, setting, just everything about the game is great. Highly recommend it! Also, like everyone else, I suggest you get BioShock. Both are great, but BioShock 1 is better IMO, 2 is still good though. Plus, BioShock Infinite is coming out in a few months, so it might be a good idea to play the first two now so you can be familiar with the franchise and how it all works.

There's a lot of awesome games other than COD, however the OP was asking which was preferred: Modern Warfare 3 or Black Ops 2.

There's a lot of awesome games other than COD, however the OP was asking which was preferred: Modern Warfare 3 or Black Ops 2.

Actually he said that the obvious choices were between those two, but wanted our opinion on others.

"The obvious choice is between Black Ops and Modern Warfare, but I thought I'd ask the UM community about which game they think has the best Single Player experience. Is it COD, MW, or something else?"

• 2 weeks later...

There are multiple accounts on youtube that uploaded walkthrough on Aliens: Colonial Marines... I think I'll pass on this game.

The gameplay doesnt appear to be all that unique or original. It actually looks kinda crappy CoD-like with all these nonplayer characters constantly barking orders and warnings all the time.

Call of duty are great fps.gears of war is a thrid person game.try geting call of duty 2 it launched with the 360 great games and under 10 dollars

Call of duty are great fps.gears of war is a thrid person game.try geting call of duty 2 it launched with the 360 great games and under 10 dollars

COD2 was awesome for a launch title! I might go back and play that again actually.