Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bright flash of light went up from ground...

George Ford

Hi,

My mother just text me about 5 mins ago. She said she saw what looked like lightening but it went up from the ground to the sky and there was no thunder. Any ideas?

Ground to cloud lightning is the usual type of lightning that most people see. Lightning discharges from the ground to the cloud or vice versa. The ground acts as a pool of electrical charge, and when the clouds gain charge, the ground attempts to balance out the charge by gathering the opposite charge beneath the cloud system. When the difference between the charges increase to a high enough point, the break down of air occurs and lightning between the cloud and the ground occurs. Normally the lightning starts from the ground and flows upward toward the clouds, but the opposite may also occur.

it seems its not unusual, a few bits of it around net.

• Like 1

Ah, cool. She also said it was white, so probably just lightening. Weird that there was no thunder though. Although not unheard of apparently.

Ah, cool. She also said it was white, so probably just lightening. Weird that there was no thunder though. Although not unheard of apparently.

You can have lightning without thunder, but it seems you can not have thunder without lightning. But have just read somewhere someone say you can not have lighting without thunder, but most say you can.

Hi,

My mother just text me about 5 mins ago. She said she saw what looked like lightening but it went up from the ground to the sky and there was no thunder. Any ideas?

I have a similar story here Lizard Man and Missing Time
This incident happened when I was around the age of 19 years old; I am currently 26, and this all happened in Norton, Massachusetts. Have you ever had the feeling that you've seen something that you weren't supposed to see? I have, and I've read stories of people searching there whole lives to witness something like that. Trust me, it's not worth it, for what I saw has changed my life and the way I look at everything, including religion.

I was working in a summer job. I worked late, though I usually didn't get off until 11:30 at night. One night as I was closing up the store and started to walk home, which was only about a mile away, I decided to take a short cut, one I have taken hundreds of times through the woods at all hours of the night and day. I never thought twice about it since I've been around them basically my whole life.

But this night was different. What I witnessed that night has been burning in my mind for almost eight years now. While I was going through the woods, the street lights from outside the woods illuminated a small path. As soon as I let out a yawn, I heard an earth-shaking roar. I froze in my steps, almost literally soiling myself I was so scared. The cigarette I had just recently lit only about 45 seconds - 1 minute before the roar burnt my fingers because it was already burnt down to he butt!

As I stood there, what I saw still scares me and gives me goose bumps to this day. I saw this 7- 8-foot-tall creature poke its head out from behind a tree. It just looked at me. It looked like a lizard with a man's face! It was only about 10 feet away from me. This thing was HUGE! It looked like it could have ripped me from limb to limb if it wanted to. The next thing I know, I saw a huge flash of light out of the corner of my eye in the sky! Next thing I know, the thing is gone.

I looked at my watch and it was 1:45 in the morning. I ran home as fast as I could! My lungs were burning by the time I reached my front door. My mother burst through the screen storm door, demanding to know where I was, and my father followed. I burst into tears and never really told them what happened. I just said something along the lines of, "I just want to go to bed. I'm so tired." I was 19. There was not much they could do or say, as you could imagine. I never went through those woods again. I don't know why I let it haunt me the way I do. I mean, out of all the people in the world, why did it have to be me? What did I ever do so wrong that I had to witness something that makes me sleep with lights on and look behind my shoulder at night?

It's not known if lighting goes from the sky to ground or from the ground to the sky. Like A/C electricity, it may alternate from one to the other. You can not have lightening without thunder. When lightening strikes, it splits the air and when the air slams back together, the thunder occurs. She may not have heard the thunder.

Edited by notforgotten

I have a similar story here Lizard Man and Missing Time

Damn! I'd be afraid to go out alone ever again if I experienced that! But I suppose if it wanted you dead it could have easily have killed you so what you have to ask yourself is why it let you live?

Also my mother did not mention anything about strange creatures and she lives in an urban area in a housing estate.

Damn! I'd be afraid to go out alone ever again if I experienced that! But I suppose if it wanted you dead it could have easily have killed you so what you have to ask yourself is why it let you live?

Also my mother did not mention anything about strange creatures and she lives in an urban area in a housing estate.

It's cryptid survival strategy has evolved from it's early ability to scarper out of harms way. That's why the lizardman/silverdisk/ufolights are still a mystery to the mainstream. They are all connected if one allows oneself to believe the eyewitness testimonies.

It's cryptid survival strategy has evolved from it's early ability to scarper out of harms way. That's why the lizardman/silverdisk/ufolights are still a mystery to the mainstream. They are all connected if one allows oneself to believe the eyewitness testimonies.

If the creature was that tall, it would have left traces on the ground, like footprints.

One can be too scared to go back during the dark and alone, but you could return during daytime and in the company of several of your friends, family or neighbours.

That never happened, of course....

Hi,

This is the first time I read something really weird on this forum that's actually familiar.

Years ago I had a similar experience with a friend of mine and it has been the only unexplainable thing that I have ever seen.

I've been thinking of getting it to people's attention again somehow and since it's related I'll put the link here:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172406&st=0&p=3228786entry3228786

I hope someone can shed some light on what the hell this can be.

Greetings.