Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yemeni Al-Qaeda commander killed

OverSword

From the article:

Washington, Jan. 23 (ANI): The second in command of Al-Qaeda's Yemen affiliate, Said al-Shihrim, was reportedly killed in an airstrike in Yemen in December, according to a news report by Arabic television network Al Arabiya.

This is the third time the former Guantanamo detainee has been reported killed since 2009. In 2010, the Yemeni government claimed it had captured him. In September 2012, Yemeni news sites reported he was killed in an American drone strike.

According to the report, al-Shihri died last month after sustaining severe injuries from a joint U.S.-Yemeni airstrike that targeted a convoy in which he was riding, reports ABC News.

The al Arabiya account, based on information from "family sources", said that the airstrike left al-Shihri in a coma. He allegedly died soon after and was buried in Yemen.

On Tuesday afternoon, hours after the initial report, a Yemeni government official denied having any information regarding the death of al-Shihri.

No photos of a body have yet surfaced and no mention of his death has appeared on jihadi forums.

Al-Shihri, a "veteran jihadist," traveled to Afghanistan shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks to fight coalition troops, only to be captured weeks later, according to West Point's Combating Terrorism Center.

He was sent to the U.S. prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where he stayed for six years before being released to Saudi Arabia. There, he entered a so-called "jihadi rehab" program that attempted to turn terrorists into art students by getting them to get "negative energy out on paper," as the program's director told ABC News in 2009.

But just months after he supposedly entered the fingerpainting camp, al-Shihri reappeared in Yemen where he was suspected to have been behind a deadly bombing at the U.S. embassy there. (ANI)

http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsdetails/2013/01/23/109-Yemeni-Al-Qaeda-commander-killed-for-third-time-.html

Another Second in Command bites the dust, then. Honestly, that's a job with a higher turnover than Katie Price's husbands.

• Like 2

Are they sure its the same man who has been killed 3 times....so far? Watched the Dictator the other week, I think his doubles got killed twice.

So the second in command of Al-Qaeda's Yemen affiliate says he was killed and everyone believed him? then the Yemeni news sites reported him killed again, did no one ask questions then? if not, maybe they should be asking questions about this miraculous 3rd death of the same man??

Edited by freetoroam

Are they sure its the same man who has been killed 3 times....so far? Watched the Dictator the other week, I think his doubles got killed twice.

So the second in command of Al-Qaeda's Yemen affiliate says he was killed and everyone believed him? then the Yemeni news sites reported him killed again, did no one ask questions then? if not, maybe they should be asking questions not about this miraculous 3rd death of the same man??

they promote everyone

"jihadi rehab" program that attempted to turn terrorists into art students by getting them to get "negative energy out on paper,"

In January 2009 the President of Yemen, Ali Abdullah Saleh announced plans to start a new Yemeni jihadist rehabilitation program similar to the Saudi jihadist rehabilitation program.[1] According to Michelle Shephard, reporting for the Toronto Star in September 2009, Yemen had been an innovator in jihadist rehabilitation, with an effort led by the judge Hamoud al-Hitar, called the "Committee for Religious Dialogue". Shephard wrote in September 2009 that she found no sign of the new program during a recent visit.

Shephard wrote that the earlier jihadist rehabilitation program had been shut down in 2005 due to a lack of funds and lack of interest

You just can not trust anything they are saying, but we have this:

http://m.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-administration-endorses-jihad-rehab-facility-yemen_533515.html

they promote everyone

One more promotion like this is he will be up there with Moham.rolleye0011.gif

I don't know about anyone else... but i am totally SHOCKED... Shocked mind you - that the whole fingerpainting thing didn't work...

I mean... if we could have only have gotten some of the mass murderers of the past 100 years or so into fingerpainting class - everything would have worked out! Then they could have all gotten together and sang kumbaya while drinking hot cocoa and eatting sugar cookies, while wearing pink fuzzy bunny slippers...

(in case you didn't notice - that was sarcasm)

• Like 2

Who cares? As long as they keep getting slotted!

Who cares? As long as they keep getting slotted!

Question is though, does it make the slightest difference? Even if it does have any effect on what we call "Al Qaeda" in Yemen, is that going to make the slightest difference to "Al Q" in Afghanistan, or Mali, or Algeria, or you name it? If taking out the Big Boss apparently didn't do very much to end the menace from Al Q, will endlessly taking out Seconds in Command make the slightest difference?

If taking out the Big Boss apparently didn't do very much to end the menace from Al Q, will endlessly taking out Seconds in Command make the slightest difference?

No, but don't arf feel good!

• Like 1

Another Second in Command bites the dust, then. Honestly, that's a job with a higher turnover than Katie Price's husbands.

Did you read where this is the third time he got killed???? Can we believe he's dead now? is the war on terror a big friggin hoax and waste of tax dollars?? Tune in next time, same bat day, same bat channel.
  • Like 1

Why dont they just say they killed a martyr. Im sure hes already been replaced.

Question is though, does it make the slightest difference? Even if it does have any effect on what we call "Al Qaeda" in Yemen, is that going to make the slightest difference to "Al Q" in Afghanistan, or Mali, or Algeria, or you name it? If taking out the Big Boss apparently didn't do very much to end the menace from Al Q, will endlessly taking out Seconds in Command make the slightest difference?

Do you think that walking away and just allowing them to operate unhindered is the answer? Is it your belief that they would stop their aggressive moves if we stopped? And if so, why do you think it? What evidence of such an action by them have you seen?

Do you think that walking away and just allowing them to operate unhindered is the answer? Is it your belief that they would stop their aggressive moves if we stopped? And if so, why do you think it? What evidence of such an action by them have you seen?

Perhaps trying to work out what causes it in the first place, rather than just rushing about eveywhere trying to fix the symptons by assassinating the supposed "top men" on a regular basis. You have to ask, is this method working? is it making the slightest difference? Is there any sense to continuing it indefintely, if it doesn't seem to make any difference?

• Like 1

Perhaps trying to work out what causes it in the first place, rather than just rushing about eveywhere trying to fix the symptons by assassinating the supposed "top men" on a regular basis. You have to ask, is this method working? is it making the slightest difference? Is there any sense to continuing it indefintely, if it doesn't seem to make any difference?

As for what difference it's making, no way to know for sure. But I agree that no obvious forward progress is apparent. I argued here once that the issue was about Islam and near had my head removed from my shoulders so I'll not need to be making THAT mistake again - it was pointless. But there's no doubt this all stems from a clash of civilizations and when one of them uses a mass of mostly illiterate and highly religious human beings for fodder to push an agenda, well, I don't see a way to have a conversation that will matter. In fact, even the erudite amongst them - and there seem to be many - are just as strident and resolute that they have found "the way". And the way seems to include mass death of everything and everyone unwilling to submit to their way of life. A final point..... at this juncture it really doesn't matter any longer HOW this fire got started. At least not as far as I can see.

Well the thing is that the Taliban is in no way a super power. While they have the resources to reach out and cause random attacks, so do I or anyone else in the world. If you want to die, you can become a terrorist and make it happen. Why I mention that they are not a super power is because they are limited to how they can attack. They have to do snake in the grass type attacks to get anything done. I would imagine the majority of the Taliban do not have resources to do anything other than local terror attacks. So in my mind if we quit p***ing off the locals and making them feel that they should join the Taliban, than they would combat the Taliban on their own. If you have a small or even large terrorist group in that part of the world that is causing grief in their own communities, I guarantee they take care of it themselves. We wouldn't need a war on terror. We would then need the red cross to be sent to Afghanistan to aid the starving, homeless taliban. Hell, just look at Egypt, Syria, and Lybia.

People on that side of the globe are getting much more educated and are tired of being shat on.If we go over there and look like we are dropping the feces well they are going to go against us. If we let them see that the feces is coming from their own kinfolk, they will clean up the stinch themselves.

Well the thing is that the Taliban is in no way a super power. While they have the resources to reach out and cause random attacks, so do I or anyone else in the world. If you want to die, you can become a terrorist and make it happen. Why I mention that they are not a super power is because they are limited to how they can attack. They have to do snake in the grass type attacks to get anything done. I would imagine the majority of the Taliban do not have resources to do anything other than local terror attacks. So in my mind if we quit p***ing off the locals and making them feel that they should join the Taliban, than they would combat the Taliban on their own. If you have a small or even large terrorist group in that part of the world that is causing grief in their own communities, I guarantee they take care of it themselves. We wouldn't need a war on terror. We would then need the red cross to be sent to Afghanistan to aid the starving, homeless taliban. Hell, just look at Egypt, Syria, and Lybia.

People on that side of the globe are getting much more educated and are tired of being shat on.If we go over there and look like we are dropping the feces well they are going to go against us. If we let them see that the feces is coming from their own kinfolk, they will clean up the stinch themselves.

19 guys with box cutters, a little cash and some imagination managed to damn near wreck the economy of the US so the "snake in the grass" bit is still pretty impressive, wouldn't you say? As to what happens in their backyard, I agree with you. We should leave. I think it is awful what will happen to all those who trusted us and helped out because they'll probably be butchered. But we cannot create a free country where no overwhelming desire exists for freedom. Hell, we're barely hanging on to our own.