Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dung Beetles Navigate Via the Milky Way

Still Waters

The tiny insects can orient themselves to the bright stripe of light generated by our galaxy, and move in a line relative to it, according to recent experiments in South Africa.

“This is a complicated navigational feat—it’s quite impressive for an animal that size,” said study co-author Eric Warrant, a biologist at the University of Lund in Sweden.

http://newswatch.nat...-kingdom-first/

• Like 2

I don't even know where the Milky Way is in the sky, so they must be some smart lil' buggers.

I always wondered why headlights and lamposts confuse me at night. :passifier:

• Like 1

That biologist better be careful. Those beetles roll up the stuff his brain is made of.

Weve erased the Milky Way from the sky with light pollution in most places. When I was young it was still bright and beautiful in the sky. Just another way we are destroying the natural beauty of our world IMO.

I don't even know where the Milky Way is in the sky, so they must be some smart lil' buggers.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry to that statement but we are in the milky-way a section of it.

Here is a Milky Way-rise. It's spiral core coming in to view.>>>

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1

is great to see the poor dung beetle getting a bit of credit..

• Like 1

"Once the beetles sniff out a steaming pile, males painstakingly craft the dung into balls and roll them as far away from the chaotic mound as possible, often toting a female that they have also picked up."

That's one heck of a first date. Wonder what his pickup line is? Actually, I don't want to know.

Bugs Rock!

Well they were special to the ancient Egyptians and some theorists say they came from the stars.............but i agree with the others,coincidence or nonsense

If you feel this to be true in your heart.. Then I suspect a good ole hearty Interogation with a dung beetle could be a large source of information for our future in spacial exploration

EVEN ASPECTRAL LOCATIONS of Beings of sorts or even CLouds Of aspectraled Degrees beyond aquatured understanding.. The Medial BrainSplasm of this Endeavor

"Once the beetles sniff out a steaming pile, males painstakingly craft the dung into balls and roll them as far away from the chaotic mound as possible, often toting a female that they have also picked up."

That's one heck of a first date. Wonder what his pickup line is? Actually, I don't want to know.

Well, one can speculate though. Maybe something long the lines of -"Hey baby, you wanna roll some s*** with me, huh? :w00t:

I imagine that, amongst dung beetles, is the only environment such a pickup line would carry any weight. ;)

• Like 2

i should be a beetle lol that's awsome though!animals and insects are a lot smarter than what people think.im not surprise to hear this but its very cool and fascinating to study and read.the beetles deserve credit!!!

just because they live in **** doesnt mean they wouldnt make excellent guides

Amazing! The more we find out about the creatures that inhabit this planet with us, the more we will realize that we are not all that special.

wow nice!!! hmmmmm maybe those bugs have ESP

or that they are just evolve to that certain hobbit of following line (invisible lines

)

It's been over 50 years since I've seen the scarab beetle or tumble bug. And that was always on a cattle trail or in a gravel road under a blue sky.

I don't believe their far out finding on how they navigate.