Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Min Min Lights

Zeta Reticulum

I saw the Min Min lights on the Aramac track back in the late 70's.

We were in a 4x4 at night coming back after a fishing trip. catching yellow bellies in dried up creek beds waterholes.

It was black soil country, and it started to rain heavily. 4x4 tryes eventually became caked with sticky blacksoil, and just started to spin.

We were stuck. Just couldnt move. We waited it out, till it dried.

While we were stuck, it was still raining, suddenly 3 dancing lights appeared up the track a bit. they were getting closer.

They got closer and finally stopped, then they went out. We figured it was another car, who also got stuck.

After quite a few hours, we were able to get going again, and we headed towards the other "car" or where it had stopped.

Nothing, no car, no tracks, and we didnt see them leave.

We had seen the enigmatic Min Min lights. The area is called the "Boulia Triangle"

• Like 2

Here's some sort of explanation as to why they happen , all to do with the weather so it claims ....

http://www.uq.edu.au...s/?article=4265

I am familiar with the lights but I don't think it's any type of mystery !

TiP.

No worries...... but many have thought them mysteries for many years, and still do " a bizarre Australian Outback phenomenon that has baffled observers and scientists for centuries."

TIiP

• Like 1

I'd love to see an explanation for the lights. I think there should be a natural reason but no one has proven it yet....that's a mystery cooler than most. The ones that are persistent but aren't "front page" material. :)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 25/01/2013 at 1:41 PM, Zeta Reticulum said:

I saw the Min Min lights on the Aramac track back in the late 70's.

We were in a 4x4 at night coming back after a fishing trip. catching yellow bellies in dried up creek beds waterholes.

It was black soil country, and it started to rain heavily. 4x4 tryes eventually became caked with sticky blacksoil, and just started to spin.

We were stuck. Just couldnt move. We waited it out, till it dried.

While we were stuck, it was still raining, suddenly 3 dancing lights appeared up the track a bit. they were getting closer.

They got closer and finally stopped, then they went out. We figured it was another car, who also got stuck.

After quite a few hours, we were able to get going again, and we headed towards the other "car" or where it had stopped.

Nothing, no car, no tracks, and we didnt see them leave.

We had seen the enigmatic Min Min lights. The area is called the "Boulia Triangle"

that is a bit of australian magic right there, I hope I see them one day . they have inspired me since I first heard of them in grade 3 in a little golden book that had the aboriginal beliefs in it . I love your description of 3 dancing lights suddenly appearing up the track , it would be something I would treasure . thank you for sharing your story Zeta x

• Like 2

We were out Barcaldine way and travelling back to town from a station we saw Min Min. Eerie green and dancing between the trees in the distance, the gist of the conversation in our car was "drive faster", we were glad we were staying in an upstairs hotel.

• Like 1

Sounds interesting. Tipotep's link is the probable, but really unproven cause, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it wasn't?

Edited by South Alabam