Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NM bill criminalizes abortion after rape

Simbi Laveau

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/24/16681099-bill-criminalizing-abortions-after-rape-causes-an-uproar-in-new-mexico?lite

A New Mexico law maker,a woman no less ,wants to pass a bill criminalizing abortion ,after rape or incest ,claiming the baby is evidence of the rape ,ergo ,its destruction of evidence .

She works with pro lifers ,and doesn't say what to do with the unwanted child after its born .

Can we say ,MORON .

• Like 5

http://usnews.nbcnew...new-mexico?lite

A New Mexico law maker,a woman no less ,wants to pass a bill criminalizing abortion ,after rape or incest ,claiming the baby is evidence of the rape ,ergo ,its destruction of evidence .

She works with pro lifers ,and doesn't say what to do with the unwanted child after its born .

Can we say ,MORON .

I don't think "moron" here but "lawyer."

The world is insane.

not the world, just the majority of people in it.
  • Like 3

She's labelling a baby 'evidence'!!!! :hmm:

And what happens to the 'evidence' after a trial?

I believe her explanation behind the bill was to deter forced abortions on the part of the perpetrators of rape or incest - forcing the daughter you raped to get an abortion to destroy evidence for example.

Does that change anyone's mind about this? Is this a veiled attack on abortion rights or simply a very poorly conceived piece of legislation?

UPDATE: 12:25 p.m. -- Brown said in a statement Thursday that she introduced the bill with the goal of punishing the person who commits incest or rape and then procures or facilitates an abortion to destroy the evidence of the crime.

“New Mexico needs to strengthen its laws to deter sex offenders,” said Brown. “By adding this law in New Mexico, we can help to protect women across our state.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/new-mexico-abortion-bill_n_2541894.html

Leave it to a lawyer to focus on one tiny detail of a case, ignoring all other implications.

• Like 1

And folk accuse the NRA of an all-or-nothing approach to guns - the same can be said about the pro-abortion folks.

http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

A New Mexico state legislator is under fire for a proposal critics say could lead to felony charges against rape victims seeking an abortion, but the legislator maintains the measure is being misrepresented.

Rep. Cathrynn Brown, a Republican from Carlsbad, said Thursday she will revise the bill, which she said was intended to target perpetrators of rape or incest who try to cover their tracks by forcing their victims to have abortions.

The bill's language states that the crime "shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime."

Although the clause regarding intent would seem to preclude rape victims from being charged, several critics read the bill as possibly including them. Brown said she will clarify the language to remove any ambiguity.

New Mexico's Democratic Party chairman calls it an "atrocious piece of legislation."

Brown is an attorney who sits on the state Legislature's Judiciary Committee. She was not immediately available when contacted Thursday by FoxNews.com.

Edited by Rafterman

I don't get it. Can't they run DNA testing on the aborted fetus as evidence of the crime?

It seems having the victim of a sexual assault carry an unwanted and unplanned baby to term, then give birth is ,IMO, just down right cruel. It seems once again the victim is the one being punished.

With idiots like lawyer Brown in power, its no wonder our judicial system is so screwed up.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about this, but aren't medical personnel supposed to report violence crimes to the police? Like if they are supposed to report when they suspect dad is smacking the crap out of a kid or starving them, wouldn't rape and forced abortion count like that?

I don't think "moron" here but "lawyer."

Synonymous then

• Like 1

I'm not sure about this, but aren't medical personnel supposed to report violence crimes to the police? Like if they are supposed to report when they suspect dad is smacking the crap out of a kid or starving them, wouldn't rape and forced abortion count like that?

Violence against minors is supposed to be reported, .Rape of an adult ,which would be covered under this ,not necessarily .

I don't get it. Can't they run DNA testing on the aborted fetus as evidence of the crime?

It seems having the victim of a sexual assault carry an unwanted and unplanned baby to term, then give birth is ,IMO, just down right cruel. It seems once again the victim is the one being punished.

With idiots like lawyer Brown in power, its no wonder our judicial system is so screwed up.

Funny you should mention that,because yyeesss .DNA of a fetus can be run just as easily ,which shows how messed up this,woman's,agenda is .

And folk accuse the NRA of an all-or-nothing approach to guns - the same can be said about the pro-abortion folks.

http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

A New Mexico state legislator is under fire for a proposal critics say could lead to felony charges against rape victims seeking an abortion, but the legislator maintains the measure is being misrepresented.

Rep. Cathrynn Brown, a Republican from Carlsbad, said Thursday she will revise the bill, which she said was intended to target perpetrators of rape or incest who try to cover their tracks by forcing their victims to have abortions.

The bill's language states that the crime "shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime."

Although the clause regarding intent would seem to preclude rape victims from being charged, several critics read the bill as possibly including them. Brown said she will clarify the language to remove any ambiguity.

New Mexico's Democratic Party chairman calls it an "atrocious piece of legislation."

Brown is an attorney who sits on the state Legislature's Judiciary Committee. She was not immediately available when contacted Thursday by FoxNews.com.

Uh huh....

Let's see how she ratifies it.

Lets just say i would guess she knew exactly what she was doing,but didn't expect it to make the news.

Here,the news called it a backdoor attempt to make abortion illegal ,and it absolutely implied the victim was the one breaking the law if they got an abortion .

She's labelling a baby 'evidence'!!!! :hmm:

And what happens to the 'evidence' after a trial?

No one knows...maybe she can,take it home and raise it .

wow, what a pasionate fighter for womens rights, lol.

what is next? women will not have a right to say NO.

Edited by aztek

These are the infringements of the Constitution that us 2nd Amendment nuts are talking about. Put the pieces together and its being shredded. Now we are losing the right to have a say how are own bodies work. In several instances now. Big Soda ban in New York and the big one GMO in food.

http://usnews.nbcnew...new-mexico?lite

Can we say ,MORON .

One has to wonder if she'd think the same way if SHE was one of the women this bill would affect. This is disgusting.

cormac

I still can't wrap my head around it even after reading it several times.. Can't they get evidence from things like DNA, Amino Fluids and things like that.. Why would they need the Baby unless they think the woman is; telling a lie and thus wants to see if the baby has his features. Also, what would happen to the baby after the trial....

• Like 1

I still can't wrap my head around it even after reading it several times.. Can't they get evidence from things like DNA, Amino Fluids and things like that.. Why would they need the Baby unless they think the woman is; telling a lie and thus wants to see if the baby has his features. Also, what would happen to the baby after the trial....

Sounds pretty obvious to me. This is an attempt to circumvent a woman's rights, after having been raped, and forcing her to have the child. Whether she wants it or not. And yes, DNA would be perfect evidence.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 1

IMO the only motivation there is an attempt to circumvent Roe vs Wade. The anti-abortion people are looking for any method to make any abortion illegal.

• Like 1

A women has a right to do what she wants with an unwanted pregnancy regardless. I understand theres an opposing view to this and I get it. But I think legislation like this supports why we need to keep abortion legal. Period.