Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

J. J. Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII,

ExpandMyMind

I dunno. John Carter was the best sci-fi film I'd seen in years.

Must admit, that film was pretty good. Watched it a couple of weeks back.

• Like 1

Considering I own most of the expanded universe I really, really hope they make the films set during the Yuuzhan Vong War.

• Like 1

As long as Jar Jar Binks doesn't make an appearance it should be good. But then, Jar Jar is pretty Disney-esque so he probably will.

Jar Jar Abrams. Just saying.

• Like 1

Personally, what I'm looking forward to most is a Yoda back-story at some point in the future. Lucas never allowed anything that happened before the time of Anakin to be written about Yoda.

Considering I own most of the expanded universe I really, really hope they make the films set during the Yuuzhan Vong War.

I'll be gutted if it doesn't follow the Expanded Universe. So much invested time, wasted.

Jar Jar Abrams. Just saying.

You don't like Abrams?

I think that sometimes people think that a new directors gonna come along and just totally F up the trilogy. They may or may not depending on your opinion but that doesnt take away from the magical quality of the first films. Not everyone can be a George Lucas

Thank goodness. :P I think the only reason there hasn't been a remake of Star Wars (a la Hallowe'en, Clash of the Titans etc) is that Georgie has went back 5 or 6 times and fiddled with the films. I do love the original trilogy, but I wish he just left them alone. They were fine! They were a moment in time, and should be left thus. Okay Ridley did the same thing with Blade Runner, but aside from the Dekker: is he isn't he? thing removing the awful monologues was a vast improvement.

It's not that it's a new director or anything (Empire..., my fave, was directed by Irvin Kershner, after all), it's just that I really am not into JJ Abrams' style. Cloverfield was, I admit, decent, but by the end of the first season of Lost i really wanted to throw something big and heavy at the telly. I dunno, there's just something about his stuff that I find a wee bit pretentious or something.

Edited by Urisk

You don't like Abrams?

In my opinion - I've yet to see an Abrams film that's even close to being in the same class as the first three Star Wars movies.

Edited by Tiggs

In my opinion - I've yet to see an Abrams film that's even close to being in the same class as the first three Star Wars movies.

Yeah I see where you're coming from, but, in my opinion, trying to compare any trilogy or film/s to the first three Star Wars films is like comparing frying steak to fillet. I thought he did really well with Star Trek and I enjoyed Cloverfield as well. If we're looking for films to match the quality of the original Star Wars films then it most likely will never happen. Star Wars was fairly original at the time; all these decades later - after thousands of sci-fi films - I doubt we'll ever see any true originality emerge and never a whole film. The most we can hope for is a cool storyline.

A way I always like to think about newer films though is that if, say, Star Trek rebooted had been seen by an audience in the 70s, it would have blown their minds. We take for granted just how cool films look and feel nowadays.