Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Did Men Stop Wearing High Heels?

Hasina

For generations they have signified femininity and glamour - but a pair of high heels was once an essential accessory for men.

Beautiful, provocative, sexy - high heels may be all these things and more, but even their most ardent fans wouldn't claim they were practical.

They're no good for hiking or driving. They get stuck in things. Women in heels are advised to stay off the grass - and also ice, cobbled streets and posh floors.

And high heels don't tend to be very comfortable. It is almost as though they just weren't designed for walking in.

Originally, they weren't.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21151350

• Like 1

BBC tosh.....men are still wearing high heels, in fact some are even into stilettos. The fashion has changed, but the stigma of men in high heels is becoming much more acceptable. Many a men out there who are wearing heels to make them look taller.

There are many men out there wearing high heels to make them look sexier, whether they are straight is another story, but I do believe many men in the past were up for back door antics, it just was not as acceptable then.

ps: will not let me post pics of men in high heels today, but there are loads on google.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Yes, at one time fashion was the domain of men only. Well we are reclaiming it but willing to share this time.

Heels are a bad idea for any sex, they will ruin your feet.

But I love my new boots, they have a normal heel but a heel they have and it makes that noise when I step. Just for the days I want to be noticed before I come into view.

Yes, at one time fashion was the domain of men only. Well we are reclaiming it but willing to share this time.

But I love my new boots, they have a normal heel but a heel they have and it makes that noise when I step. Just for the days I want to be noticed before I come into view.

I can't stand heels that make noise... I much prefer 'stealth'... The quieter I am while walking the better!... and if a pair of shoes squeak - it drives me nuts...

• Like 2

I can't stand heels that make noise... I much prefer 'stealth'... The quieter I am while walking the better!... and if a pair of shoes squeak - it drives me nuts...

years back I had a pair of shoes where 1 heel squeaked, it drove me mad and one day while walking home I threw them away, yes, i walked the rest of the way barefoot, but ARRRHHHH, the relief.

• Like 2

I spend most of my time in riding boots and wellies, so opportunities to go 'glam' are somewhat limited (I'm glad to say!)

I think cowboy boots, combat boots, etc. have a bit of a heel for men. Maybe Air Jordan sneakers as well? They used to have "Elevator" shoes for men to discreetly increase a man's height by 2 inches or so.

Because they had enough commonsense to stop wearing such potentially dangerous footwear which also damage the Achilles tendon and shorten calf muscles, causing long-lasting damage.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

Because they had enough commonsense to stop wearing such potentially dangerous footwear which also damage the Achilles tendon and shorten calf muscles, causing long-lasting damage.

Or because they stopped riding horses?

Men wear heels... They are usually much more sensible than the pins some women walk on. I know quite a few men that wear heels for fashion sake, but that may be because I know a lot of men who are into costuming.

So they took up football instead.

Did we read the article~?

• Like 1

Did we read the article~?

I don't know about you, but I did.

And the article states that high heels are dangerous. Men suddenly developed the commonsense to stop wearing them.

So they took up football instead.

All of them?

I don't know about you, but I did.

And the article states that high heels are dangerous. Men suddenly developed the commonsense to stop wearing them.

:tsu:

yup, must be common sense won out over Fashion. I'm surprised Neck Ties are still around.

Are you old enough to remember having "taps" put on your shoes ? When I was in junior high, the first thing I did with a new pair of shoes was to have taps put on them. Slick as all git out in the winter-time, but I loved the sound.

they stopped wearing them? D: ,some one could of told me lol

*puts on some trainers

These ones?

Nike-Dunk-High-Heels.jpg

Edited by freetoroam

yup, must be common sense won out over Fashion. I'm surprised Neck Ties are still around.

Man is the only animal that will put a noose around their own neck.

• Like 2

Easy because it makes it harder to go after(Physically) the things I want. Hard to chase your goals down when you can easily break you ankle because of footwear. (Seriously ever play that game with high heels and passing the egg to somebody from spoon to spoon... yeah screw that game lol)

Women (generally speaking) had to draw in what they wanted to get what they want. An Illusion of weakness to draw in their prey.