Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can number of rapes be decreased?

ouija ouija

Cultural perspectives need a paradigm shift where this is crystal clear in the minds of society when dealing with rapists and other criminals

I very much like those words.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Re the video above: is it even possible to p!** or vomit at will? I know I couldn't do that.

• Like 1

This topic is a second try at a similar one that was closed a little while ago because posters were becoming disrespectful of each other. PLEEEASE people, keep it nice this time around. Rape is a terrible crime with immediate and long term effects. It needs to be discussed, and males and females need to work together for a better understanding of how the opposite gender to their own, views the situation. Then we need to act in accordance with that understanding.

Please bear with me as I make 3 or 4 posts that relate to aspects brought up in the previous thread.

The most important point IMO that came out of the previous thread was : 'Ideals vs Reality'. Of course we need ideals and our minds need to be constantly turned back to them, BUT, at one and the same time we must be realistic in telling women and children what the pitfalls are and teach them how to stay safe. Encourage youngsters to have ideals and to speak out about them, but remind them that they have to live in the real world in the mean time.

Ideals and reality have to co-exist. As 'eightbits' said in another thread recently: 'The ideal cannot be the enemy of the necessary'. Or, as 'Yamato' said: 'Admitting something exists does not mean advocating it'. I really don't think that this can be emphasised enough. Whilst holding tight to our ideals and promoting them whenever we can, we must not lose sight of the fact that we may be in danger from those who do not hold the same ideals as us. We may believe very strongly in our ideals, but we must never forget that others often view the world and life very differently.

be realistic in telling women and children what the pitfalls are and teach them how to stay safe

This is why male rape, while not as frequent, is not taken seriously because for many it doesn't even exist or could ever be a problem.

How to avoid rape:

[media=]

[/media]

How annoying.

• 1 year later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2592675/I-dont-deserve-raped-Viral-photo-response-shocking-research-revealed-65-1-Brazilians-think-women-provocatively-dressed-ask-attacked.html

In a study by the country's Institute for Applied Economic Research, 65.1% of Brazilians think women who are provocatively dressed ask to be attacked.

http://www.dailymail...k-attacked.html

In a study by the country's Institute for Applied Economic Research, 65.1% of Brazilians think women who are provocatively dressed ask to be attacked.

Which is indicative of how much we still need to learn about the true nature of rape. In my mind that equates to 65.1% of the population are acting as "enablers" for the rapist mentality. It is an issue of education and correct evolution of morality.

Of course different societies are at different levels of comprehension about the matter of morality. What is the percentage of USA or Australian citizens who believe the same thing? I'll bet they are different.

• Like 2

They could be worse or better, I am hoping they are better as my own life experience is aligned to those cultures more closely than others so it affects me, but I realize that could be wishful thinking.

I was thinking more along the lines of the aggressive nature of rape being more a part of the male psyche than culture. It may well be that it isn't rape culture that gets men to rape, but rather that men raping creates a rape culture.

Not that it makes much of a difference in pragmatic terms. It's mostly a mental exercise.

Stiffer and swift punishments will decrease rapes. I had 2 students who were Persian girls from Iran. They used to go back to Iran periodically with their parents. They told me that in Iran they are allowed to go wherever they want. Even at 10 and 12 they could walk to the store or shopping centers by themselves etc etc. here inThe US their parents were much more careful about what they were allowed to do. I was perplexed because in my head I would think Iran would be a more dangerous place, but it simply isn't for girls.. Back then anyway. It was about 10 years ago.

The answer was simple. If you sexually assault a woman in Iran they chopped your head off without little more than a thought. Now I know their are tons of problems with this and the way traditionally religions treat women is deplorable , but it does say something. The simple fact is that while walking down the street those girls were safer than even here in the us by simple virtue of what the punishment was.

Personally I think the punishment for rape should be castration. But even this is dicey... When you play with economic choices unintended consequences will emerge.

Edited by White Crane Feather

I was thinking more along the lines of the aggressive nature of rape being more a part of the male psyche than culture. It may well be that it isn't rape culture that gets men to rape, but rather that men raping creates a rape culture.

Not that it makes much of a difference in pragmatic terms. It's mostly a mental exercise.

And what about Lesbian rape? yes there are also lesbians who rape other lesbians....ya know?

you said

Well if rape is part of the male psyche then how come that women also commit rape?

Because one doesn't need a rape culture to rape?

More like rape comes from a human sense of entitlement that goes beyond gender and culture. In other words a brief moment of psychopathy where one either for power lust or social pressure impose their will in sexual form on another person, regardless the gender or the status? no need of specific male psyche or rape culture. The last one is just the symptom of this behavior than the cause. Always IMO naturally.

Yeah, my argument is that it would be interesting if it were and if the cause was actually the symptom.