Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kids with Fewer Vaccines

Big Bad Voodoo

Anti-vaccinatination rant by some anti-vaxxers. Who would have see that coming?

• Like 2

So what now science isnt good anymore? LOL

Read your own link. It doesn't say unvaccinated children are healthier, it says they have fewer visits to the doctor. The explanation is right there in the link - parents who distrust doctors don't get their children vaccinated and they don't take their children to the doctor for other causes either.

• Like 5

Perhaps you'd do well to read this:

http://www.scienceba...ccine-movement/

Incidentally, notice how the article "forgot" to mention this:

"In contrast, undervaccinated children had increased inpatient admission rates compared with age-appropriately vaccinated children (IRR, 1.21; 95% CI, 1.18-1.23)."

Funny about that, hey. Wouldn't want to muddy the waters with facts you don't like.

Edited by Obviousman
  • Like 2

The explanation is right there in the link - parents who distrust doctors don't get their children vaccinated and they don't take their children to the doctor for other causes either.

you didn't read the link did you.

• Like 1

I asked my 10 year old tonight if he thought he got too many vaccines. He answered yes. Ill take his word on it. Ill stand up for his right to have safe vaccinations only.

Disclaimer: this is my own opinion.

Personally, I'd worry more about having the diseases children are vaccinated against. In high school, I chose to take part in the catch up scheme for the HPV vaccine, I'll take the risk and have some protection against cervical cancer, thank you. And I'm fine. I mean, I'm weird, but I'm fine. Maybe my weirdness is a result of my parents responsibly choosing to have me vaccinated against all manner of horrible things when I was a child.

• Like 1

I respect your opinion and choice to become fully vaccinated. There is it least 100 things your not vaccinated for that vaccines are available for and they are some of the more dangerous diseases around the world. Unless you REALLY got major vaccinated. Which Id say caused your pseudo weirdness with some certainty :whistle: . Wouldn't it be nice if some of those vaccines were optional. I don't say someone shouldn't get vaccinated. And I agree some need to be mandatory.

But I don't expect my son to get around HPV. Why does he need vaccinated.. I was never vaccinated against chicken pox. Back then we just got it and we all lived. So why vaccinate against it ?

Theres some weird stuff coming out of the UK over recent vaccines as well causing narcolepsy:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checkup/2011/02/why_flu_vaccine_may_cause_narc.html

I wasn't vaccinated against chicken pox either, I had that when I was a child and I did live just fine. I believe that vaccine is currently only recommended for the immunocompromised and health workers with no history of the disease (at least, that is in the UK), as it's much more serious in adults than children.

I will no doubt eventually be vaccinated against more things, as I pursue a career in healthcare I will be in hospitals and the like and require some of the more 'exotic' vaccinations. I don't want to get more than necessary as it increases the risk for a reduced benefit, but if I see the benefit of a particular vaccine, then sure. I may also be in the position to give vaccinations myself, and if I should be in that position I intend to make sure my patients are well informed.

• Like 1

Im almost certain chicken pox is a mandatory vaccine in America now.

You are spot on. I did a 20 year stint in healthcare. But most of it was before the flu vaccines and it was never really bad in the places I worked. Something has changed over the past 30 years.

You sound very educated about the vaccines you get which is good. Understanding that multiple vaccinations some of which are very new may have unknown risks is important as well.

As a health care worker you will be on the "front lines" of new and old communicable diseases. So education education prevention is the way to go.

• Like 1

I was never vaccinated against chicken pox. Back then we just got it and we all lived. So why vaccinate against it ?

Because not everyone reacts the same and because you can cause damage to others. A lot people - as children - would have some uncomfortable but non-life threatening symptoms, and that would be that. Some people have it worse and get left with permanent scarring.

The worst though, is the effect on others. Chickenpox is highly contagious. If you got it as an adult, the symptoms and scarring are likely to be far more severe and you run an increased risk of developing varicella pneumonia. If you are a strong, healthy adult then you will probably live through it... but if you are not young, or are a smoker, or are immunocomprimised then your survival rate drops dramtically.

And if you were pregnant? Unless you were vaccinated and therefore immune your child runs the risk of encephalitis and other brain damage, damage to the eyes, damage to the spinal cord or a raft of other complications. Oh - and that pneumonia, too.

We get vaccinated and practise herd immunity so that those who are at risk from diseases don't have to face that risk.

I asked my 10 year old tonight if he thought he got too many vaccines. He answered yes. Ill take his word on it. Ill stand up for his right to have safe vaccinations only.

Yeah, I'm betting his answer has less to do with the medicial concerns of vaccines and more about avoiding getting jabbed with needles.

• Like 4

Yeah, I'm betting his answer has less to do with the medicial concerns of vaccines and more about avoiding getting jabbed with needles.

:) Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. We had corn on the cob for dinner the other night and one of my grand daughters complained that grandma serves to many veggies.

This is why the 9 year old doesn't get to make big decisions.

Nibs

• Like 2

You call my child a coward Corp..Of the needle..How dare You !! :whistle:

But I don't expect my son to get around HPV. Why does he need vaccinated.. I was never vaccinated against chicken pox. Back then we just got it and we all lived. So why vaccinate against it ?

So you don't expect your son to ever have sex? That's an interesting notion. Particularly when you consider that virgins until marriage who are in fully monogamous relationships can still get and pass HPV.

As far as chicken pox, yes, it is relatively harmless - unless you happen to be one of 12,000 or so who were hospitalized with severe complications or one of 100 or so who died from it annually. Not to mention the cost to families in lost time/wages/productivity/etc. from 3-4 million kids a year getting them. Particularly so when a simply injection can drop the rates by 88% or more.

http://thechart.blog...hickenpox-down/

Deaths from chickenpox down

Deaths from chickenpox (the varicella virus) have dropped 97 percent in adolescents and children since the use of the vaccine began in 1995, new analysis shows.

"I think there's certainly the potential for very little disease in the future and very few deaths if we are to fully implement and maintain that program," said Jane Seward, deputy director, Division of Viral Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The study appears in journal Pediatrics. Researchers from the CDC looked at data from 1990 to 2007.

"Every kid did get chickenpox and, in the pre-vaccine era, there were 3-4 million cases a year," Seward said. "What people may not have realized, every year, about 105 people died of chickenpox. About half of those were children and about 11,000-12,000 were hospitalized with severe complications. We started preventing the disease to really prevent those very serious complications."

Among adults younger than 50, the decline was 96 percent; overall, the decline was 88 percent. Seward pointed out that adults get more serious chickenpox than children and also need two doses of the vaccine.

"They have about twenty times higher risk of dying from chickenpox than children do. So it is really important for adults who haven't had chickenpox to get the vaccine."

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 2

Im gonna throw the increasing rate of Autism at you.

You call my child a coward Corp..Of the needle..How dare You !! :whistle:

Hey I'm right there with him. I do what I can to avoid needles as well :P

• Like 1

How do you, or anyone, know that there's actually an increase in Autism that is directly related to vaccines? It could simply be that these children are being diagnosed as being Autistic because nothing else fits and it's convenient because Autism has such broad variations.

• Like 4

Before you do, be sure to show evidence of a link between the two.

• Like 1

Ask your 10 year old if he believes he should be able to drive yet, as long as you are so sold on this "I'll take his word for it" reasoning...

• Like 1

I assume you've also asked him if he needs to continue going to school and if his pocket money should be raised?

• Like 2

Well, since the rise in autism diagnosis correlates perfectly with the rise in internet usage, what are you planning on doing about that?

• Like 2