Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Photography Challenge

orangepeaceful79

Blue..or is it purple? I'm going with blue because in the daylight they are definitely blue. This was taken in a shady spot in the evening a few nights ago.

8672869611_0e16fd7cb4_z.jpg

• Like 4

Sarah, in case you aren't aware, digital cameras often have sensitivity to the spectrum just above violet - normally not visible to our eyes. So blue/cyan/purple flowers often appear 'wrong' in the captured image. Flowers often are very bright in frequencies just beyond our vision (but visible to insects like bees), and those 'colours' may be visible to the camera sensor and cause the 'strange' colours ..

Continuing 'Blue'... This isn't photoshopped - I just used a polariser (polarizer to you yanks) to enhance the colours. It's a fishing boat with lots of rigging reflecting in glassy water on a very sunny day.. er.. obviously! I took about 5 shots of the reflections and liked this one the best - can you see the little dolphin leaping up?

gallery_95887_13_75412.jpg

• Like 5

Dark blue,

Im a beginner with nightscapes, its fun and I love the spooky aura of the photos..any advice appreciated

Picture6747rs_zps7440321d.jpg

Edited by jules99
  • Like 5

Sarah, in case you aren't aware, digital cameras often have sensitivity to the spectrum just above violet - normally not visible to our eyes. So blue/cyan/purple flowers often appear 'wrong' in the captured image. Flowers often are very bright in frequencies just beyond our vision (but visible to insects like bees), and those 'colours' may be visible to the camera sensor and cause the 'strange' colours ..

Continuing 'Blue'... This isn't photoshopped - I just used a polariser (polarizer to you yanks) to enhance the colours. It's a fishing boat with lots of rigging reflecting in glassy water on a very sunny day.. er.. obviously! I took about 5 shots of the reflections and liked this one the best - can you see the little dolphin leaping up?

gallery_95887_13_75412.jpg

No, I actually wasn't aware of that. It could definitely be an explanation for those flowers for sure. Thanks!

I love the water photo. It looks like a very abstract painting. I bet it would really look great enlarged and hanging on someone's wall.

Dark blue,

Im a beginner with nightscapes, its fun and I love the spooky aura of the photos..any advice appreciated

This is great! I just recently bought a tripod since my last one broke a couple of years ago. I can't wait to get out of the city and experiment with the night sky a bit more.

Dark blue,

I love, love, love this

• Like 3

Dark blue,

Very nice. I love good night-time photographs.

Thanks, Sarah (and the other likers..) :D

Jules, that's a fine effort for a first night exposure - well done. I've only got a few to date (mainly because good astro-photography is *hard* and I'm terminally lazy..) but am just about to get a very capable low light camera. So I better get off my backside and use it..! Like Sarah I'm looking forward to getting away from city lights and capturing some Milky Way wideangle/panorama shots, maybe even some timelapse imagery...

I find this sort of thing absolutely captivating and extraordinarily beautiful:

Timescapes, Tom Low

[media=]

The Unseen Sea - Simon Christen

Obviously those are not mine, but I can dream! That type of photography just needs a capable (*see below) camera that either has an 'intervalometer' or a remote shutter release (you can buy cheap intervalometers on Ebay for $30 or less), or a Canon that has 'CHDK', and a good tripod. If you want the moving ones you'll either need some sort of dolly/rail system or it can also be done by mounting the camera to, say, your car window - then drive very slowly on a smooth road as the interval thingy is taking the shots...!

* Capable..? For daytime, pretty much any camera that can take shots at intervals will do fine. If you want the night shots with stars and milky way.. you'll want a camera with a larger sensor than a normal compact, eg Micro 4/3, APS-C, 35mm full frame.. The bigger the sensor, the better.

• Like 2

Thanks, Sarah (and the other likers..) :D

Hi Chrizs;

It will be a week or so here before the moon wanes enough to get good star photos. Im guilty of not attaching camera to telescope also but as you say its difficult, I just bought a focus aid for my refractor and single axis tracking for my mount so Ive got no excuses either :innocent: I would like to try the Orion nebula soon though, maybe next week.

cheers

Edited by jules99
  • Like 1

Yep, the Moon is a bit of an issue, but it does light up the landscape very nicely.. Like all of photography, it's a balancing act! Look forward to seeing your next shots - I'm still waiting on the new camera, may be a few weeks away (out of stock at the places who have the best price..).

Speaking of Blues and the Moon*...

gallery_95887_13_42388.jpg

but.. I havta admit that it isn't the Moon. I deliberately underexposed a misty morning fog shot for a spooky effect - that's actually the *Sun*. Ah, the deceptions we camera nuts use...

• Like 8

Chrlzs, have you seen the Death Vally Dreamlapse video? It's one of my favourites.

Okay, it's not working. I can never post Vimeo without a fight so I put the YouTube one up. There's a new one just posted yesterday as well. It's called Death Valley Dreamlapse 2. Amazing stuff.

Edited by sarah_444

Speaking of Blues and the Moon*...

gallery_95887_13_42388.jpg

but.. I havta admit that it isn't the Moon. I deliberately underexposed a misty morning fog shot for a spooky effect - that's actually the *Sun*. Ah, the deceptions we camera nuts use...

Beautiful

Chrlzs, have you seen the Death Vally Dreamlapse video? It's one of my favourites.

No, I hadn't - thanks!! I just love timelapses, especially when there's a moonlit landscape thrown in.. I am absolutely itching to get my new camera.. while my current workhorse is pretty capable, it's got a smallish sensor and hasn't really got enough low-light performance to do the sort of things I want.. Hopefully I'll be able to post some amateurish initial attempts soon..

BTW, for anyone who is photography/camera-obsessed like me, I've started a chat/discussion thread here...

I'm flying out to Singapore and Phuket tomorrow night. Will try and get some photos.

• Like 1

New Topic.. Angel hair..

(ok, that's cobwebs)

Angelhair is one of those known but once unknown phenomena that occurs occasionally in some parts of the world but is rarely noticed or observed..

This morning we started getting lot's of angel hair falling from the sky.. Here's some that accumulated on the clothesline.. It's Damn hard to photograph, had to pull out my Olympus for this shot.. It's a very fine web, very delicate, it melts in your hand..

These webs (been watching them all morning) are 1-5 meters long. It's quite a remarkable thing to see. But so damn hard to photograph happening.

333zijd.jpg

• Like 5

Not angel hair, but close.. just a few days ago, misty morning, trying out a new lens..

gallery_95887_13_42227.jpg

• Like 7

Nice shots, Fstop. And on the theme/s of Blue (and backlit leaves) here's an old one of mine, taken back in the days of film (hence those strange little round spots - ironically the slide has water damage..)

gallery_95887_13_30857.jpg

Fujichrome, Pentax 50mm f1.7.

• Like 2

And after FStop's tree silhouette, this is one of my favorites, again playing with exposures. It was taken near midday on a sunny day...

gallery_95887_13_26740.jpg

Kodachrome 64, Tamron 28-50, polariser+ND

• Like 6