Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brazil Nightclub Fire Kills at Least 245

rashore

The following link has pictures of those who perished on this tragedy.

http://noticias.uol....ta-maria-rs.htm

One army soldier went to Santa Maria to visit his wife they went to the night club to relax a bit before he had to return to his duties. When the fire started, he managed to save his wife. After she was safe, he came back and helped fire fighters save 4 more and then he died trying to help more ppl. I wonder how the musicians that started the fire managed to escape considering they were far away from the exit door while others not so far died. Probably the 2 chickens ran away instead of trying to help...

Edited by Feanor
  • Like 1

The following link has pictures of those who perished on this tragedy.

http://noticias.uol....ta-maria-rs.htm

One army soldier went to Santa Maria to visit his wife they went to the night club to relax a bit before he had to return to his duties. When the fire started, he managed to save his wife. After she was safe, he came back and helped fire fighters save 4 more and then he died trying to help more ppl. I wonder how the musicians that started the fire managed to escape considering they were far away from the exit door while others not so far died. Probably the 2 chickens ran away instead of trying to help...

Oh my... those photos of those beautiful, beautiful young people :cry: So sorry for them all :innocent:

Brazilian police have arrested three people in connection with a fire at a nightclub that killed 231 people in the southern city of Santa Maria on Sunday.

An owner of the Kiss nightclub, a member of the band Gurizada Fandangueira, and its security chief were being questioned, police said.

A fourth person, reported to be a co-owner of the club, is being sought

http://www.bbc.co.uk...merica-21232740

I honestly had the impression it was an insurance jobbie before I clicked on that link.

No! He got arrested because his general health and safety procedures in regard to fire prevention were not up to spec.

So it's natural that the boss and his colleagues should have the book thrown at them.

Tbh if somebody tried to show a clubber where the fire exits where they would think you were some kind of killjoy.

Though when your clubbing the major,big things seem to slip your mind.

So as somebody just said you need to discern where the fire exits are but alas some need some prompting.

And why the eck was one of the entertainers letting a flare off.

All they wanted to do was samba and they ended on a slab instead.

Very,very tragic news and a needless waste of life.

I always check out my orientation to fire exits in hotels and auditoriums. So few people take the time and it can be the difference between your child living and dying. A huge crowd of people becomes an animal in conditions like this and the outcome of that is too often lethal.

Too true, here is a prime example of people acting like animals and there was not even a fire!! Whether it was over crowded or not, the crowd stampeded and everyone was in it for themselves. I daren`t not even thing how many lives could have been lost if a fire had broken out here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-15377833

Both this disaster and Crogmañon Club in Argentina were caused by the same things: use of phirotecnics inside the club, plastic sound insulation material in the roof that caught fire and created a deadly gas, and bad distribution/managment of the fire exits. Its truly a shame.

• Like 1

Too true, here is a prime example of people acting like animals and there was not even a fire!! Whether it was over crowded or not, the crowd stampeded and everyone was in it for themselves. I daren`t not even thing how many lives could have been lost if a fire had broken out here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-15377833

Where I used to work me and my colleagues were always doing fire drill routines.

They were always drumming into us how important it was to walk to the nearest fire exit in a neat and orderly fashion.

They also emphasised that any kind of clutter shouldn't be blocking them either and all valuables should be left behind regardless.

When we were undergoing those fire drills we were told to stand in this farmers field to account for any missing people.

Most of our health and safety inductions were based around this and lifting techniques.

Tbh all this preparation counts for nothing when it comes to the real thing.

There's no way you can keep a cool head in a crisis like this unless your a professional.

So alas your still going to get blind panic and every man for himself.

It might sound like a cliche but it's true and something I can't see being rectified.

• Like 1

Where I used to work me and my colleagues were always doing fire drill routines.

They were always drumming into us how important it was to walk to the nearest fire exit in a neat and orderly fashion.

They also emphasised that any kind of clutter shouldn't be blocking them either and all valuables should be left behind regardless.

When we were undergoing those fire drills we were told to stand in this farmers field to account for any missing people.

Most of our health and safety inductions were based around this and lifting techniques.

Tbh all this preparation counts for nothing when it comes to the real thing.

There's no way you can keep a cool head in a crisis like this unless your a professional.

So alas your still going to get blind panic and every man for himself.

It might sound like a cliche but it's true and something I can't see being rectified.

True, all the training in the world will not stop the mad rush of blind panic from the crowd. Unless there are well lit signs and enough staff to guide people to the exits, in places like nightclubs which are generally underground and very large spaces, its always going to be a difficult situation when the place is packed out.

What about this piece of PC nonsense to beat a hasty retreat from a fire.

In my IT publishing class one of the rules is not to wrap your coat around the back of your chair.

So you either wear it or hang it up on the hooks provided.

They feel that in her infinite wisdom that when your evacuating your coat will get tangled up in the wheels and prevent your escape.

That's absolute poppycock because it only takes a second to untangle it from the back.

Besides you can hold it in your hands while you plan your exit in a neat and orderly fashion.

Even my tutor openly criticised the decision.

However it dosn't really apply to nightclubs what with the cloakrooms and besides people do everything apart from sitting.

But it's worth mentioning to highlight how fire health and safety can swing the other way.