Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Afterlife

ReaperS_ParadoX

Im just posting this wondering how many people believe that there is an afterlife, and also do you believe that there is a Hell like place that people go to when they die If they've done unspeakable things when they were living. For instance your Hitlers and say serial killers.

I know a lot of what people believe is based on ideas that were ingrained in them when they were young children and If you've changed your thinking as you have gotten older in regards to what happens when someone dies.

• Like 1

idk to be honest, just being alive is weird enough for me so i wont throw anything out but i have a feeling there is not.

I sometimes wonder if Im not in hell already. Luckily it doesnt feel like an eternal damnation. :tu:

• Like 1

I do not believe in afterlife. In order for Life to exist...Life must eat Death. Very interesting ain't it? Consider our bodies and our brain. What is the point exactly of all of that if Life really doesn't need the body and brain to exist?

I think the vast majority of people are incapable of fathoming the idea that when they die...they are just dead...forever...and that's it. But that is what I think. You live, you die. The 'eternal life' many seek is only found through the pro-creation of the species...and many have that idea twisted as well that if you are male and have no children then you...die. Wrong. As long as their is Life...then Life exists eternally.

I wasn't here 200,000 years ago...but wallah...here I am now...and who is to say that I am not the same Life that put forth the sperm which eventually procreated me? Of couse I am. All Life is related and all life feeds on the death of itself. Therefore, the idea of Life without death is preposterous, IMHO.

• Like 1

The thought of non-existence seems scary at times...to most people anyway.

Many people build up a life where they're close to loved ones and couldn't possibly live without them. Eternity is a dark and scary place because it's forever and most people don't like the thought of vanishing into blackness and so this notion of an afterlife appears and comes hand in hand with gods and judgement and ties in nicely with all of our myths despite the fact that we have no proof of it. I think the afterlife is held onto because people see us an important species in one way or the other and keep themselves wishful that they'll see their loved ones again and that makes life and death less scary for them which is fine, but it just seems childish to me. I'm not holding out for some big payoff for all my deeds and pious actions, I've no reason to believe that this life is some test or that I have to accept this prophet or that one as my savior or teacher in order to go to a celestial theme park because all I've go to go on is someones word, whether it be 2000 years old or 50'000 years old and that isn't good enough for me personally, I require a bit more rationality and less conflicting information (and preferably info from a civilized period and society).

As for Hell/Punishment..again that ties into wanting justice for deeds and wishing that there was some ultimate justice that rewards the good and punishes the bad. Well that happens already in life, I mean sure some get away with it but most don't and that's life, suck it up and move on. I refuse to acknowledge the idea that a non-believer is as accountable to hell as a mass murdering child rapist or a war monger but who knows? Maybe that's the way it is and life is really that dark I just have no reason to believe it as such and won't subscribe to any authority that advocates it if it is real.

• Like 1

The thought of non-existence seems scary at times...to most people anyway.

Many people build up a life where they're close to loved ones and couldn't possibly live without them. Eternity is a dark and scary place because it's forever and most people don't like the thought of vanishing into blackness and so this notion of an afterlife appears and comes hand in hand with gods and judgement and ties in nicely with all of our myths despite the fact that we have no proof of it. I think the afterlife is held onto because people see us an important species in one way or the other and keep themselves wishful that they'll see their loved ones again and that makes life and death less scary for them which is fine, but it just seems childish to me. I'm not holding out for some big payoff for all my deeds and pious actions, I've no reason to believe that this life is some test or that I have to accept this prophet or that one as my savior or teacher in order to go to a celestial theme park because all I've go to go on is someones word, whether it be 2000 years old or 50'000 years old and that isn't good enough for me personally, I require a bit more rationality and less conflicting information (and preferably info from a civilized period and society).

As for Hell/Punishment..again that ties into wanting justice for deeds and wishing that there was some ultimate justice that rewards the good and punishes the bad. Well that happens already in life, I mean sure some get away with it but most don't and that's life, suck it up and move on. I refuse to acknowledge the idea that a non-believer is as accountable to hell as a mass murdering child rapist or a war monger but who knows? Maybe that's the way it is and life is really that dark I just have no reason to believe it as such and won't subscribe to any authority that advocates it if it is real.

You pretty much word for word described my mindset.

I think one thing a lot of people get hung up on is 'awareness'. Or 'soul'. Both are words that are virtually impossible to define in any meaningful way. Awareness? What of the person who suffers from dementia? Soul? Seek out the Do Animals Go To Heaven thread for a description of how ambiguous that definition is.

Ever since I saw a ghost I absolutely believe in the afterlife. As far as hell I don't know. Sometimes I feel like I'm already living in hell so it has to get better.

I have thought the most likely outcome as other in this thread. Death is the ultimate level of fairness. No matter what you've done, good or bad. No matter how you've lived your life, to the fullest or in your mothers basement. No matter how much you had or who you were, a loaded celebrity or some hobo on the street. Death eliminates everything. You die, you're gone. It is that simple.

Now that being said, I said what I believe to be the most likely. I am not advocating anarchy or anything of the like. All I can say is live your life the way you are as long as you don't hurt anyone (unless you have to for example protect someone against some drunken goon of course). You do that and that's the most important part to happiness, help people out and try to be as understanding as you can. To have this level of awareness us humans have been lucky to inherit should be stripped if we fell into chaos if this were ever proven to be true (nothing after death). To live as we have done (minus all the unnecessary evil in the world) regardless is our just deserves.

In all, I can't say anything for sure, no one can. But really who knows.

In regards to the heaven and hell argument. Do we really need to be tied down by going to a good place or a bad place to try and ensure we do good things (end up in heaven) as opposed to bad things (go to hell)? It is quite a low point in humanity if you really think about it. If some people are simply being good to go to heaven, does that inside hold some hidden agenda in which they will then be banished to hell?

In all we shouldn't base our lives around what happens afterwards. I have listened to accounts people have made of their experiences on dmt such as joe rogan. Quite frankly there is a lot of this whole thing we don't know and I can't comment on such as I have not experienced it. I do encourage people to check them out and see what they think about it all.

• Like 1

As much i wish to live on after death in some wonderful place along side family and friends, i think joc and Sean93 pretty much summed up how i feel about the topic.

• Like 1

Yes there is an afterlife. I'm trying to figure out how to end it. Because it is completely redicoulous, it's just never ending, if you know what i mean??

Ever since I saw a ghost I absolutely believe in the afterlife. As far as hell I don't know. Sometimes I feel like I'm already living in hell so it has to get better.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the last sentence! But as to the first...please, don't misunderstand...I KNOW you saw a ghost. But, how do you know that it wasn't a memory imprint of the planet? I read something very interesting once about how actions create memories..not in our minds but in the 'magnetic force' of the planet. I'll see what I can find about that if you are interested.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the last sentence! But as to the first...please, don't misunderstand...I KNOW you saw a ghost. But, how do you know that it wasn't a memory imprint of the planet? I read something very interesting once about how actions create memories..not in our minds but in the 'magnetic force' of the planet. I'll see what I can find about that if you are interested.

Ooh, I'm interested! Post some linkes. Sounds fascinating!

Ooh, I'm interested! Post some linkes. Sounds fascinating!

Magnetic fields surround us...they are invisible, we cannot feel them, or see them, or smell them...or see them, or see them, or see them...really? The following video is something that NASA created...it is a visualization of magnetic fields and is very interesting.

But that isn't really what I am talking about. We all know magnetic fields surround us. But what if we create 'memory fields' that is, magnetic impressions as we go through our days....and what if...what if, depending on the Frequencies of our brains, some of those MMIs (Magnetic Memory Impressions [a phrase I just now coined]) were so strong that they lasted for many years...centuries even...and that depending on the temperture, air pressure, etc....they from time to time became visible for short periods of time?

I cannot find what I was looking for but I'll continue looking....in the meantime...

LINK to youtube video posted below

Is there an afterlife ? As an agnostic, I don't know, nor do I spend much time thinking about it. I'll be happy to accept whatever the ultimate fate decides for me, or not. :)

Is there a hell type place, where the Hitlers and serial killers go? In my opinion I don't think so. Their lives just end.

• Like 2

I'm a beliefer in an afterlife..

& in a before-life..

Life, the way I see it, does end.. But imo there is a new beginning or new cycle after this one.. play nicely, and perhaps you get to choose a nice next cycle..

Play like adolph hitler, and perhaps you get to relive the lives of all those who you made suffer

Dunno..

• Like 1

I'm a beliefer in an afterlife..

& in a before-life..

Life, the way I see it, does end.. But imo there is a new beginning or new cycle after this one.. play nicely, and perhaps you get to choose a nice next cycle..

Play like adolph hitler, and perhaps you get to relive the lives of all those who you made suffer

Dunno..

T, I'm kinda curious as to how you can say that you believe in an afterlife yet next offer two 'perhaps' and one, I 'dunno'?

Correct me if I'm wrong. You believe in an afterlife and a beforelife, but you're still a bit shady about the particulars?

Hey, no theory is accurate, neither is mine. I'm just asking for clarification. :)

Those who have actually experienced ghostly behaviour absolutely know that there is an afterlife. I am one of them.

• Like 1

Those who have actually experienced ghostly behaviour absolutely know that there is an afterlife. I am one of them.

I don't think we should "absolutely know" anything. All we can know is what we see and hear and feel, and we know from experience that all our senses can err.

That said, we can and do have a high degree of confidence that certain things are true. As far as it comes to ghosts and other such experiences, we have all had them. What they tell us is largely up to us to decide.

For example, for myself, I am confident that my parents exist somewhere, as when I pray at the shrine I have for them (I am Vietnamese and practice what is in the West called "ancestor worship" -- although it is not "worship" but more "veneration") I sense their presence more strongly than other times.

Now a skeptical person can explain this in all sorts of ways -- my wishful thinking seems the most obvious. I know better, but it is not something I can expect someone else to accept on such testimony. So I respect their skepticism, and don't express myself in absolute terms.

T, I'm kinda curious as to how you can say that you believe in an afterlife yet next offer two 'perhaps' and one, I 'dunno'?

Correct me if I'm wrong. You believe in an afterlife and a beforelife, but you're still a bit shady about the particulars?

Hey, no theory is accurate, neither is mine. I'm just asking for clarification. :)

The particulars are something none of us are privy to, and speculation is pointless and counter productive i think..

There are as many theories of the afterlife as there are people in the world.

Er I am going to get flack for this, but people who claim they know, and make such outragious claims as "i am they way, the truth and the light, no man cometh unto the Father, but by me" need to have their heads read imo..

*Dodging bullets*

The Afterlife belongs in the afterlife..

If people worried more about making their Currentlife better and worried less about the Afterlife then perhaps life would be more barable for all.

• Like 1

I have been searching for this answer for a very long time..when you have a lot of health problems you really want to know. Right now I believe again but not sure if I will feel this way later even though I have had some experiences that could be paranormal and have a family member who actually sees spirits.

Edited by knoga
  • Like 1

I have been searching for this answer for a very long time..when you have a lot of health problems you really want to know. Right now I believe again but not sure if I will feel this way later even though I have had some experiences that could be paranormal and have a family member who actually sees spirits.

I had a lot of pain when I was younger myself and was in and out of the hospitals very frequently, I cant say I was really focused on whether or not there was an afterlife, I was more trying to deal with the pain which took a significant amount of my concentration. I once read that Harry Houdini was really in search of whether there was an afterlife and he and his wife made an agreement that whichever one of them died first would do everything possible to try and contact the other from the otherside.

I dont believe that there is an afterlife, once you die thats it your not aware of anything anymore and that thought doesnt scare me I see it more as the ultimate peace.

I dont believe in hell either I think the people that did rotten things with there life after they die there just dead.

Reminds me of this saying: At the end of the game, pawns and kings go back into the same box.

Im just posting this wondering how many people believe that there is an afterlife, and also do you believe that there is a Hell like place that people go to when they die If they've done unspeakable things when they were living. For instance your Hitlers and say serial killers.

I know a lot of what people believe is based on ideas that were ingrained in them when they were young children and If you've changed your thinking as you have gotten older in regards to what happens when someone dies.

I certainly do. As to hell... Well I believe it is a state not a place. a state of being completely consumed by fear. I think in time spirits work their way out of this state possibly with help, and I think nearly everyone experiences a bit of it as they adjust. Being a state, I don't think one has to be dead to experience it.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

I certainly do. As to hell... Well I believe it is a state not a place. a state of being completely consumed by fear. I think in time spirits work their way out of this state possibly with help, and I think nearly everyone experiences a bit of it as they adjust. Being a state, I don't think one has to be dead to experience it.

I see what your saying, Im alive and theres times that Iv felt I was in hell, I see how it can be a pyschological thing, like you said a state of mind. I just dont believe that when a person dies based on the deeds they did in life they would go to a place like hell. I mean death is enough in my opinion, theres no need to suffer beyond death. But thats just my opinion

I see what your saying, Im alive and theres times that Iv felt I was in hell, I see how it can be a pyschological thing, like you said a state of mind. I just dont believe that when a person dies based on the deeds they did in life they would go to a place like hell. I mean death is enough in my opinion, theres no need to suffer beyond death. But thats just my opinion

No I don't see the point in it either. My question would then be who made that rule. Isn't it more compassionate to find a way to rehabilitate rather than torture. If a being is really advanced enough to make that kind of decision for you, then why can't it be creative enough to find a better way. Even just death. Why capital punishment? Why not let the soul duke it out with its own ego until it finaly figures it out... Reincarnation... 100 things make more sense.

Edited by Seeker79

What is behind door #2?