Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UM Fiction Writers

schizoidwoman

I have been here for a fair while and I think some people already know that I am like to think of myself as a bit of a writer (albeit one who daren't submit work for fear of rejection!), but I have decided that it is time to actually do something serious about my dreams of seeing my name in print. I've recently begun to realise the value in having contacts who are striving for the same goals or just share that same need to write.

UM is a community full of creative people so I wonder if there are any other writers here who would be interested in forming a sort of mutual support group to swap experiences, challenges, critques (if that way inclined) or just provide a friendly shoulder to lean on.

I have written contemporary works in the past but I am now firmly settled in 18th century Europe, however, I would be more than happy to hear from anybody, regardless of genre or experience as this can be a lonely business!

• Like 5

A wonderful idea, schizzy. :tu:

As everyone here knows, I can't write my own name, let alone an interesting story*, but I am working on having my latest novel published, as well as an anthology of my short stories (I was published twice, but that was in the distant past of the early 80's).

I agree with having a thread where one can pass on relevant info or just offer advice/opinions. And though this isn't specifically a writer's site, if it goes well, then perhaps this thread could be pinned for future reference.

*A shameless attempt at gaining a kudos or two.

I'm in!!

Can't say I'll have much to add though.. I have been a prolific writer in the past, but, I'm 100% un-published and I have a nice collection of rejection letters to proove it..

Writing is easy, fun, sometimes exciting... Getting published, impossible imo..

Sure hope we've got some "How to get published" aces here in the community..

Maybe even an Agent or two would be great!!!

A wonderful idea, schizzy. :tu:

As everyone here knows, I can't write my own name, let alone an interesting story*, but I am working on having my latest novel published, as well as an anthology of my short stories (I was published twice, but that was in the distant past of the early 80's).

I agree with having a thread where one can pass on relevant info or just offer advice/opinions. And though this isn't specifically a writer's site, if it goes well, then perhaps this thread could be pinned for future reference.

*A shameless attempt at gaining a kudos or two.

:nw: Offers kudos :nw:

Sadly my publishing success stories are all work-related (ie, lots of thinks about studying Engineering and Computing) and since I write publicity materials, I am pretty much guaranteed that audience!

You write short stories? I am a bit envious of that as it's a craft that has always passed me by, I lack the discipline.

Are you happy to say more about your novel (I shall understand if not!)?

I'm in!!

Can't say I'll have much to add though.. I have been a prolific writer in the past, but, I'm 100% un-published and I have a nice collection of rejection letters to proove it..

Writing is easy, fun, sometimes exciting... Getting published, impossible imo..

Sure hope we've got some "How to get published" aces here in the community..

Maybe even an Agent or two would be great!!!

Fantastic to read your input and I agree, getting published is certainly a *bit* of a trial!

What kind of thing do you write?

:nw: Offers kudos :nw:

Aww shucks. :blush:

Sadly my publishing success stories are all work-related (ie, lots of thinks about studying Engineering and Computing) and since I write publicity materials, I am pretty much guaranteed that audience!

This may sound odd, but experience is experience. Even though it's not fiction, it is your composition in the sense that you are applying the techniques you've learned.

You write short stories? I am a bit envious of that as it's a craft that has always passed me by, I lack the discipline.

:o

You mean you've never read any of the hundreds (Thousands? Millions?) of stories I've posted throughout the years?

Actually, it has been some time since I posted any stories here on UM. Maybe I should make a thread and re-post some of them (whaddaya say SW? ;) )

Are you happy to say more about your novel (I shall understand if not!)?

The word sluggish is what first comes to mind. What I mean is, when I used to write continuing stories on other sites I would type out a chapter in just a couple hours every other day. Now that I'm working on something that I want to publish, I've only made it to a little over 10,000 words, and I started this last July! The problem is that I keep going back and re-writing everything.

As for what it's about, well, let's just say it's a horror story with elements of my life thrown in for good measure. :blink:

Edit: see, I told you I couldn't write good well. :P

Edited by theSOURCE

[/size]

Actually, it has been some time since I posted any stories here on UM. Maybe I should make a thread and re-post some of them (whaddaya say SW? ;) )

The word sluggish is what first that comes to mind. What I mean is, when I used to write continuing stories on other sites I would type out a chapter in just a couple hours every other day. Now that I'm working on something that I want to publish, I've only made it to a little over 10,000 words, and I started this last July! The problem is that I keep going back and re-writing everything.

As for what it's about, well, let's just say it's a horror story with elements of my life thrown in for good measure. :blink:

Agh, I have probably read some of your stories here and didn't connect you with them, so sorry... blame this cold weather we're having. :yes: Would be happy to read some though, if you woul dlike to share.

I used to go back and rewrite as I went along but, essentially, I never finished anything so now I force myself to do a full first draft (no matter how bad) then rest it whilst I go to something new.I'm just coming to the end of one WIP, with two more at the planning stage but when this is done, I shall be heading off to 18th century Covent Garden brothel novel to do the first edit!

BTW, love that you can slot your life into a horror novel!

Edited by schizoidwoman

Did you say 18th century Covent Garden brothel?

Oh dear. If only I had the courage to send you my unfinished story of the Candle Reborn.

And as for slotting my life into a horror novel, I only wish some of it weren't actual experience. :cry:

Did you say 18th century Covent Garden brothel?

Oh dear. If only I had the courage to send you my unfinished story of the Candle Reborn.

And as for slotting my life into a horror novel, I only wish some of it weren't actual experience. :cry:

I did say 18th century Covent Garden brothel; sadly it's purely fictional! :whistle:

Courage is what I lack at the moment; I'm doing a bit of an online writing exercise with a friend and it is nerve-shredding as you literally exchange a paragraph on Messenger and keep the story going that way. We know roughly what we want the plot to be, each bring 4 characters and let the story tell itself.

It's working for me though as it forces me to just write something and send it off to her without even a second to think "erk"!

Schizzy, I'm sending you a PM. Bear with me since I have to rely on text reader.

Fantastic to read your input and I agree, getting published is certainly a *bit* of a trial!

What kind of thing do you write?

Fiction.. A bit of Sci Fi, but my last was a modern post apocoliptic tolkien styled mish-mash.. lol.

Fiction.. A bit of Sci Fi, but my last was a modern post apocoliptic tolkien styled mish-mash.. lol.

I think you'd get on very well with a friend of mine, he's doing something similar right now!

I used to freeform play-by-post RP back in the day. That's similar to writing though not really.

I always aspired to be writer and admire those that have mastered the craft.

Great idea SW! :tu:

• Like 1

I used to freeform play-by-post RP back in the day. That's similar to writing though not really.

I always aspired to be writer and admire those that have mastered the craft.

Great idea SW! :tu:

Ta! My very good friend freeform RPs via Messenger, she has literally just finished telling me about it!

Do you write now?

Edited by schizoidwoman

Ta! My very good friend freeform RPs via Messenger, she has literally just finished telling me about it!

Do you write now?

Alittle but mostly freeform RPs.

If you guys settle or know of any freeform RPs that are open let me know, I'd be in.

If you guys settle or know of any freeform RPs that are open let me know, I'd be in.

Ditto. I haven't participated in one in a long time but always enjoyed the writing exercises and experimentation they provided me.

I don't, I'm afraid; I shall ask my bud though!

As a writer I recognize communication with other writers is beneficial.

I just don't post my stories on the internet in fear someone will steal them. :P

I've written a lot of stories in my blog here, but I'm not interested in publication. I just write for fun and to satisfy myself. I'm surprised I get as many views (not very many) as I get. I've decided there's quite a few UM members and guests who must have a lot of idle time on their hands and are not very critical about how they spend their leisure hours. :)

But, it's a great idea for writers to communicate and help each other. Probably best for me to sit on the sidelines, though.

As a writer I recognize communication with other writers is beneficial.

I just don't post my stories on the internet in fear someone will steal them. :P

A very wise decision!

I've written a lot of stories in my blog here, but I'm not interested in publication. I just write for fun and to satisfy myself. I'm surprised I get as many views (not very many) as I get. I've decided there's quite a few UM members and guests who must have a lot of idle time on their hands and are not very critical about how they spend their leisure hours. :)

But, it's a great idea for writers to communicate and help each other. Probably best for me to sit on the sidelines, though.

I write primarily to tell the stories that swirl in my head (and to shut the characters up) and as you say, it's a lot of fun! Publication is increasingly becoming an ambition of mine but I need to grow a thicker skin for that, I know!

I mainly write short stories and have yet to tackle the novel.

My stories are primarily written for my enjoyment but also for practice. I have no issue sharing them online as others should enjoy them too.

Far too many writers want to make it a profession or at least be published so there are likely millions of unseen and unshared stories. How sad.

I mainly write short stories and have yet to tackle the novel.

My stories are primarily written for my enjoyment but also for practice. I have no issue sharing them online as others should enjoy them too.

Far too many writers want to make it a profession or at least be published so there are likely millions of unseen and unshared stories. How sad.

I have a small group of people who read and critique my writing and their feedback is invaluable - it's breaking the fear of showing it to somebody that can be tough though!

I'm always envious of short story writers as it's something I've never been able to successfully tackle, I think I lack the discipline!

Edited by schizoidwoman

I have a small group of people who read and critique my writing and their feedback is invaluable - it's breaking the fear of showing it to somebody that can be tough though!

I'm always envious of short story writers as it's something I've never been able to successfully tackle, I think I lack the discipline!

Short stories are difficult in a sense that some times it is hard to find a good resolution.

Every thing can flow well, the language can be good, the plot can be good - every thing can be good.

But some times it's harder to fit a puzzle piece into a smaller puzzle, if that makes sense?