Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Causes of ancient technology failure

Pssst

I was thinking about this concept the other day. Ancient Egypt and the Mayans (among other ancient civilizations) had a very advanced technology that to this day we are still discovering. What happened? Where did these societies lose their capabilities and knowledge to perpetuate the information about this technology to later generations? There is that great space between the advancement of those civilizations verses modern technology (within the last 150 years.)

I scan the internet looking for answers and only come up with several theories such as:

1) Failure to adapt after exhausting all resources available (mining, etc.)

2) High level of political corruption

3) Catastrophic disaster, warfare, famine, civil strife (which I group together to depict reasons under rise and fall of society)

Do you have a theory as to why or how this information was lost? (I'm looking for more than: "because the technology was no longer relevant" type of answers ... if this is what you want to answer, then why was technology no longer relevant?) Do you think today's society could benefit from this information and why?

• Like 1

I look at a video like this:

and think it is so interesting to see how history repeats itself. You could almost substitute the word America with Ancient Egypt. lol

I think the reason such technological knowledge was lost was due to the fact that once a civilization fell into ruin (due to war, political corruption, natural disasters which led to famine, etc.), whoever conquered them destroyed any records of their technology. It has happened countless times during the course of history.

• Like 1