Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia plans domed city in Siberian mine

ExpandMyMind

A Russian construction company called AB Elise hopes to build a gigantic domed city in an abandoned diamond mine in Siberia, powered by the sun. The project is more of a concept than a reality so far, but the plans show accomodation for 100,000 people over three main levels.

The mine in question is the Mir mine in the Mirniy industrial zone in Eastern Siberia. You might have probably seen photos of it before, labelled "the largest man-made hole on earth" or something similar. It's long been used to mine diamonds, but the mining stopped in June 2001, replaced with a network of underground tunnels below. Presumably this activity would have to cease if the structure is ever built.

The project, which is described in a series of slides on AB Elise's site, is split between three levels, penetrated in the centre by a vertical farm and forests. Around the exterior are residences and recreational areas, and there's also a research centre in the plans.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-11/17/russia-domed-city-siberia

• Like 1

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aztek

• ExpandMyMind

• Coffey

• freetoroam

Popular Days

That's really cool.

• Like 1

Would be cool if they get the foundations stable. Would move there as long as the likes of MacDonalds and KFC so not take up the main walkway.