Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

lake Champlain monster theory

the dalek killer

my theory is that the creature is a mosasaur or a zeuglodon

my evidence is in the famous mansi photograph

i-43f490b6d1be12eed835c51e73ffd529-Mansi%20photo%20detail.jpg

if you look at the area between the hump and the neck/flipper are connected underwater which means its body curves down before going up and if you look closely at what many people have called the neck you'll that its quite flat

these are just my thoughts please comment

my theory is that the creature is a mosasaur or a zeuglodon

my evidence is in the famous mansi photograph

i-43f490b6d1be12eed835c51e73ffd529-Mansi%20photo%20detail.jpg

if you look at the area between the hump and the neck/flipper are connected underwater which means its body curves down before going up and if you look closely at what many people have called the neck you'll that its quite flat

these are just my thoughts please comment

My theory is that the picture is a piece of drift wood , nothing more .....

TiP.

• Like 4

I could see how this might be a flipper bending over. However, it is a flipper, what sets it out and not belong to a cetacean of sorts? Many of them will swim about with their flippers out of the water, and a few at least will bend or curve in a similar manner.

Everything suggested so far is an air-breather which makes them unlikely candidates. I mean, in addition to being extinct of course.

• Like 1

Mosasaur and basilosaurus fossils have not been noted to have been found in the region.

And record breaking big fish from Lake Champlain can get up into the 40 pound range, which might be a tasty snack for a huge fish, but also probably indicates a lack of large predator in the water. The sizes, variety, and amounts of fish also kind of indicate that a large herbivore probably isn't lurking around either.

And hehe.. the pic.. American Eel up to 6 pounds has been caught in the lake.. Could it be that the photographer caught an eel on camera, but in perspective it looks like a possible much larger critter?

they found fossils in Alabama and in Egypt meaning it had a wide range so it could of easily lived in that area and it is seen quite often

Edited by the dalek killer

I'm convinced that it was nothing but the misidentification of some common animal or, as stated above, a piece of wood.

Good analysis here.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/measure_of_a_monster_investigating_the_champ_photo

If a breeding population of lake monsters lived in Lake Champlain, they'd be fairly well known and sighted often given that there are millions of people in and around the lake on an annual basis.

• Like 4

Having given this some more thought, I'm curious to the OPs thoughts on how air breathing creatures survive in the lake on the years that it freezes completely.

• Like 6

Looks like a whale breaching to me, with the left or right flipper held high and slightly bent giving the appearance of a head.

post-98285-0-68204200-1359483087_thumb.j

• Like 1

Looks like a whale breaching to me, with the left or right flipper held high and slightly bent giving the appearance of a head.

my thoughts exactly

Having given this some more thought, I'm curious to the OPs thoughts on how air breathing creatures survive in the lake on the years that it freezes completely.

Good point , OP ?

TiP

Always thought this one to be Driftwood,if you look where the supposed neck goes into the water,you can see more mass to the object going to the left.

• Like 1

they found fossils in Alabama and in Egypt meaning it had a wide range so it could of easily lived in that area and it is seen quite often

Alabama and Egypt, not Lake Champlain. Just because fossil evidence has been found elsewhere does not mean it has been seen in Lake Champlain. I could say fossil evidence of catfish in the Mississippi and China means that there are catfish in Brazil, but that would not necessarily be accurate unless there was also catfish fossils in Brazil.

• Like 3

seems a bit to smooth to be drift wood

Drift wood can be extremely smooth, especially when considering an unfocused photo from a distance. Much more likely than an ancient creature.

As for horses being gobbled up - where did you get that idea? And is it not more likely the horse got into trouble and drowned? Or is there video/photo of the moment one met its fate in the jaws of a dino?

• Like 3

Excellent point Rafterman.

I'm going to do the usual rundown of these things.

An animal like this would need a large breeding population, especially if they have survived millions of years. Someone would see these fairly often popping up for air. (when it's not frozen)

There is no way to tell how big it is in the photo.

Standard blurry photo, could be anything really, but to jump to a plesiosaur is unbelievable in my opinion. It does have a similar appearance to a long necked animal but also looks like driftwood or anything we put our minds to.

• Like 1

None of these supposed sea creatures exist, there is no solid evidence at all & none stand up to scientific theory, it's a nice thought that they may be out there having survived all this time but in reality they are all myths.

Male blue whales have a 12 foot long prehensile penis. I'm not sure how impressively-endowed smaller species of whale are, but it could be possible that it is nothing more than two whales mating? Or one incredibly hopeful, and one not so enthusiastic p'raps?

• Like 2

Wales might be out too... Keep in mind that Lake Champlain is a landlocked freshwater lake and though it is a big lake, it isn't huge like the Great Lakes.

But we don't have anything other than popular acceptance that it actually IS lake Champlain. If it is said lake then yes whales will be out of the question. But I tend to be just as sceptical about the locations of photos just as much as what is featured in them nowadays.

That's the thing about photos. People say it's from "such-a-place" and we always just say "OK". How can you tell without any defining landmarks? I recall the original picture did have some land in the background, but it could easily have been taken in a lagoon?

• Like 1