Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Bar wants patrons to drink not debate

Indiogene

One bar in this Arkansas town is causing controversy on what's proper to debate on their property, and concerns on debates don't mix with alcohol sure challenges the notion of informality in bars, even when talking straight about hot button issues.

http://www.aol.com/v...nk2&pLid=262491

Bartenders can't legally stop nor ban patrons' personal discussions, but they expressed concern on political talk can lead to bar fights (and so can the topic of religion) and can disturb the peace. It comes to show we have to use the fullest common courtesy...in fact, I tend to discuss controversies with people I know of, but I knew not to at work and the general public. Message boards are excellent places to share opinions together for an intellectual conversation, but in the discretion of ourselves say things without offending others nor getting offended.

Controversy is a part of our everyday lives, but should we be told to close our mouths and minds in the name of etiquette consideration? Ms. Manners vs. the First Amendment: let's see who wins the argument.

Edited by Tsa-La-Gie Oyate
  • Like 2

Drunken debating is not a great thing so I guess I kinda get it. Its probably due to some specific things happening at THAT bar and not a general attitude.

• Like 1

Politics, religion, booze....nah..... wouldn't be prudent :w00t: ESPECIALLY in the south!

• Like 1

Just let me sit here sipping my scotch. I don't really care what you thing LOL.

• Like 1

I've actually found that people won't normally debate these topics when they are sober, so alcohol is the perfect "lubrication" to get the ball rolling :-)

• Like 2

I've actually found that people won't normally debate these topics when they are sober, so alcohol is the perfect "lubrication" to get the ball rolling :-)

You don't know me.

Nowt wrong with a wee debate and some fisticuffs to brighten up a dull day/night... imo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You don't know me.

So it doesnt take much to get you debating?....my kind of guy:-)

• Like 1

They need a boxing ring. More entertainment and more sales in drinks, because it's fun to watch two drunks duke it out over a argument.

Drunk1: I say it is! *swish-smack*

Drunk2: And I say it's not! *swish-smack*

Spectators: Hey look at that! They both just knocked out the referee!

• Like 3

Nowt wrong with a wee debate and some fisticuffs to brighten up a dull day/night... imo.

Some of the best friendships ever made started in just such a dust up :w00t:
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the best friendships ever made started in just such a dust up :w00t:

True words my brutha

• Like 1