Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bethesda

MedicTJ

I admit it. I'm an Elder Scrolls junkie. I can't stop. As many bugs as there are in Skyrim, I still can't stop.

What I can't figure out...and someone help me out here...is WHY they continually release buggy products.

Is it just bad code? Bad quality control? Both? Hearthfire itself can completely crash the game. I should point out that I'm on a 360. I noticed far fewer bugs in Dragonborn than there are in Dawnguard, but where they show up...they're bad ones.

And why in the world can't they just release bug fixes via patches?

• Like 2

You know, I have always thought that with Bethesda, they just use this engine that makes this massive game, with so many intertwined game play mechanics and setup that it just makes the perfect setting for bugs that would be hard to find and fix. I mean there is just sooo much going on behind the scenes in these games I think.

Speaking as a long time player of the Fallout 3 and New Vegas games.

• Like 2

I think they come upwith good game ideas but they are lazy developers and dont know how to make a good game engine.

Have to agree with _only just way to much going on,maybe the next gen can clean them up.

Its been the same with oblivion. They're just plain lazy when it comes to ironing out the bugs. People end up making mods for the game itself that patch the bugs...

Dawnguard is terrible with bugs, though I've had a few problems with Hearthfire, as well (naked children alllll over the place until they fixed it). But I'm inclined to agree with _Only. You have to realize that the game engine and mechanics allow for sandbox free roaming, and there are ten million ways things can interact. Nine times out of ten, they catch the majority of them with the updates (well, with the PC version, I dunno about Xbox or PS3), and if not...Well, there are unofficial patches for that, since I've modded the crap out of my game, anyway.

I don't think it's so much lazy programmers as it is the type of games they make. Free roamers like that are going to have issues. And with each DLC, there will be more found (which is why I'm both hilariously excited about and dreading the Dragonborn DLC). Add something, and something will break.

I guess I just look at it as everything has glitches, even the most stringently linear games. And you have to admit, some of the TES bugs can be hilarious. My Farkas refused to wear any sort of clothes or armor for the longest time, and just wandered around the house in his loincloth. :|

I don't know why people are complaining about bugs. Games will always have them. I've found a good few in Mass Effect 3 and it in no way decreases my enjoyment of the game because I know that perfection with computer code is a near impossibility.

Not only this, but Rockstar just set back the date for GTAV by almost 6 months so they could work out kinks, and they abuse they've received has been horrible. The pressure most developers are under to produce a product as fast as possible can almost be overwhelming.

• Like 1

As a person who spent 150+ hours Skyrim, the bugs were sort of annoying at first.

But with every Bethesda game, including Oblivion, there were always glitches; the guards having the same voice, etc.

I guess the scope of the game and never ending quests make up for it, though.

I don't know why people are complaining about bugs. Games will always have them. I've found a good few in Mass Effect 3 and it in no way decreases my enjoyment of the game because I know that perfection with computer code is a near impossibility.

Not only this, but Rockstar just set back the date for GTAV by almost 6 months so they could work out kinks, and they abuse they've received has been horrible. The pressure most developers are under to produce a product as fast as possible can almost be overwhelming.

You are aware of how almost impossible it is to release a bugles game nowadays? Even down to some slight differences in hardware or background software can a new bug arise. The fact I outlined before that in Oblivion how users actually put a patch together to fix bugs is kinda pathetic.

You are aware of how almost impossible it is to release a bugles game nowadays? Even down to some slight differences in hardware or background software can a new bug arise. The fact I outlined before that in Oblivion how users actually put a patch together to fix bugs is kinda pathetic.

What is pathetic?

What is pathetic?

Completely abandoning a very successful title because of the bug load to the point that users have to fix it for them.

i've tried and tried and tried to force my self to like the elder scroll or any RPG from bethesda and could not bring my self to it

i don''t know why but as soon as i kick off playing the game seems meaningless

i admire the graphics though especially those from knights of the nine they did great nature graphic

which is why i probably played the game :D

Completely abandoning a very successful title because of the bug load to the point that users have to fix it for them.

They don't have to. They do so because they enjoy doing it. You're being a bit dramatic.

Ive played pretty much every Bethesda title i have ever came across, There notorious for bugs and issues but never the less there games are always engaging and addictive. I have spent hours in the Elder scrolls universe and fallout universes alike and i have had to put up with bugs (After 130+ hours on ps3 skyrim became pretty much unplayable). As already stated they have great ideas make amazing story's and rich worlds to create there QA simply leaves much to be desired.

Fallout 3 being my favorite game produced by them, saying this the obsidian developed New vegas was bug ridden too so it could all be due to faulty software (game engine maybe)

• Like 1

It's mainly bad code but also bad quality control. I love the ES games despite that, though just like any other game there's lots of room for improvement. I do think it's sad that the modding community seems to do a better job of fixing Bethesda games than Bethesda does.

They don't have to. They do so because they enjoy doing it. You're being a bit dramatic.

They don't. But being a hugely successful game with a huge loyal fan base it would make sense to continue support for the game. Unless you are unaware they made over a million sales of the horse armour dlc which sold for $0.99 each. So over a million dollars on one dlc and more of an incentive to release more patches. Not to mention all the other dlcs they've released afterwards as well as another expansion.

Despite all of that, anyone sign up for the beta of Elder Scrolls Online? I wasn't too into the idea until they actually released more info on it, so when I heard sign ups for beta were open I jumped on it.

Despite all of that, anyone sign up for the beta of Elder Scrolls Online? I wasn't too into the idea until they actually released more info on it, so when I heard sign ups for beta were open I jumped on it.

I was seriously thinking about it,though if i did i might not ever get anything done at work haha

I was seriously thinking about it,though if i did i might not ever get anything done at work haha

That's me, lol. I'm going to just have to kiss whatever social life I have goodbye if I get picked.

• Like 1

That's me, lol. I'm going to just have to kiss whatever social life I have goodbye if I get picked.

You know if they are still letting people sign up?Guess i can check it out and see,i almost forgot about it was a while back when i had heard they were going to do this

You know if they are still letting people sign up?Guess i can check it out and see,i almost forgot about it was a while back when i had heard they were going to do this

Yeah, it's still open: Sign ups

Yeah, it's still open: Sign ups

Thanks,just signed up

I really love Skyrim but i am one of those people that when walking from point A to Point B cant help but stop and enter the cave on the side of the road.

After killing everything in side you realize that later in the game you are stuck with a quest you cant complete because you already killed someone you needed.

I wish they would find a way to NOT load quest items in the locations until you receive the quest.

This way i can kill everything in sight and go back later and still complete the quest as its intended.

As a warning, stay away from Might and Magic Heroes 6.

Ubisoft absolutely refuses to fix the problem with NVIDIA video card driver incompatibility and the game is completely unplayable.

I purchased it back in Sept 2012 and have not had 5 minutes of game time.

Read the forums on it before you buy.

Theres Bugs, then theres incompetence.

Ubisoft is the latter.

Fallout and Skyrim kept my interest big time until I beat both games and found they had very little replayable value to me.

I am going to pick up Elder Scrolls: Oblivion GOTY Edition tomorrow and hope it maintains replay value but expect it will give me alot of hours of play that Fallout and Skyrim did.