Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Legends of Prom Night Phantoms?

tendo

I know many, many areas (especially in the United States) have local lore centered around some prom night (or sometimes graduation night) antics gone awry, or just a mishap on the way to or from, which leads to an alleged haunted place. In my home town there is a creek, and on this creek there is a relatively clear, flat area right next to it. This spot is great for campfires, tents, etc. Mostly sheltered by trees, and not too far off from the road, but far enough that you get some privacy. The local legend says that a group of five or six seniors, after prom (or graduation, depending on who is telling the story) camped out there. One of them felt like taking a dip in the creek, but it had recently rained quite a lot so the currents were strong. He or she (again depending on who the teller is) begins to drown, and the rescue effort ensues. Sometimes one or two jump in to save them, and get knocked out by a rock due to the current, sometimes the panicked person knocks them out or pulls them under, sometimes they're just completely swept away with every person jumping in trying to save them, and the darkest one is that there were five of them, two couples and a fifth wheel. The two girls of the couples jump into the water, begin to panic, the boyfriends jump in after them, the girls pull them under, both couples drown after a few minutes of struggling, and the fifth wheel, after seeing this, drowns themselves out of shock. Now, if you go there at night, especially the night of prom or graduation, or the anniversary of their death which changes depending on who is speaking, you can hear the screams and see the bodies floating on the water.

That's my local legend, what is yours?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tendo

• keninsc

• Ultima Weapon

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The phantoms are probably all those aborted prom night babies come to seek their adorable diaper filled undead vengence.

It's either that or just the wind...

Yeah well, people often make a tragedy like a prom night accident into more, the song called "Teen Angel" was one of the first I recall. There have been others and the stories? Wow? But then, dying young with a whole life ahead of you seems somehow more......mournful(?) I recall we had two from my high school killed in terrible accidents and it was really very dramatic. Shoot they put up memorial placards in the front hallway and we came to call it "The Wall of Death". It even became a bit of a joke when a verbal dissing session began at some point you'd get wished to make it up on the wall.

Prom night things have their own special significance, much like a lot of other things do.

The phantoms are probably all those aborted prom night babies come to seek their adorable diaper filled undead vengence.

It's either that or just the wind...

Yeah, I'm not saying it's true, I don't believe it at all, just curious about other people's legends of similarity because I know it's a prevalent story.