Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Superstitions

Keel M.

I am looking to collect a lot of superstitions from people around the world. Anything and everything you know of, whether you believe them or not, please share. I'm trying to collect a bunch for a blog series I'm hoping to put together for one of my blogs.

And when you post, please let me know what country you live in, if it's not apparent by your location on the side.

Toss salt over the shoulder- I do both just to keep everyone happy, lol.

Don't walk under ladders

Crossing over water can keep you safe from all sorts of paranormal things

Don't bring a single daffodil into the house, it brings sorrow with it if you do.

Cover the mirrors in a house in mourning, otherwise the deceased my be able to come back or haunt you.

Crows..

One for sorrow

Two for mirth

Three for wedding

Four for birth

Five for silver

Six for gold

And seven for a secret that must never be told.

And hehe I have a murder of 7 in my yard, wonder what secrets I'm supposed to be keeping.

I know of several people that have lucky pieces they carry around. Or have lucky clothes they wear, like a particular tie for business, or skirt for dates, that sort of thing. A lot of people seem to have things dangling from the rear view mirrors for luck, to avoid accidents, to feel like someone is watching over them in their travels...

I have a Cloisonne bee and a ceramic peapod with two happy peas and a nyan nyanko charm that watches over my car :)

I'm in the UK.

Keep a sprig of holly from one Christmas to the next to gain good luck.

If you put an item of clothing on inside-out by mistake, don't change it because that would bring bad luck.

Always tip your hat to a magpie, for good luck.

Rashore's rhyme for crows is the same as ours for magpies.

A black cat crossing your path is good luck.

If an owl lands on your roof there's going to be a death in the family very soon.

If you stand on an insect you'll make the rain start.

Nail a horseshoe to your front door to bring good luck to the household.

Never sit thirteen at a table ...... v.bad luck.

• Like 1

You live is the city with the most superstitions in the world.

My uncles used to hunt rabbits for dinner, when it was time for the dreaded cutting the rabbit up, my gran would turn the bread unside down and close all the windows. She was very superstitious.

You live is the city with the most superstitions in the world.

Me?

My uncles used to hunt rabbits for dinner, when it was time for the dreaded cutting the rabbit up, my gran would turn the bread unside down and close all the windows. She was very superstitious.

What did she say or feel would happen if she didn't turn over the bread or close the windows?

If you put an item of clothing on inside-out by mistake, don't change it because that would bring bad luck.

Haha, not sure about doing this one, but maybe this explains why some people do. I always thought they did not realise.

So next time I do it and spend the first hour walking about like a p ** t, I can tell people its because I am superstitious. :tu:

• Like 1

What did she say or feel would happen if she didn't turn over the bread or close the windows?

She just said it would bring her bad luck.

There are still stories about the witches covens in the woods around the area.

I once went to one place which was supposed to be a coven years ago, I can tell you now, it was very spooky, the stone altars are still there.

Haha, not sure about doing this one, but maybe this explains why some people do. I always thought they did not realise.

So next time I do it and spend the first hour walking about like a p ** t, I can tell people its because I am superstitious. :tu:

When I was typing that, it crossed my mind that it was a superstition made up to make people look foolish! I've since remembered that it was only bad luck for 'the rest of that day'.

• Like 1

Don't cross knives at the dinner table... It could bring a clash or fight in the home

Tripping up the stairs means someone in the household is going to get married soon

Opals are bad luck for those not born in October

An itching nose means you will soon kiss a fool

A itchy palm means you will soon gain or lose money

Ringing ears means someones speaking of you

When walking with a loved one, if you are separated by an object or person and forced to walk apart, you are supposed to say a mated pair of foods, like salt and pepper or bread and butter... If you don't say it, you could be facing a more permanent separation from that loved one.

Edited by rashore

Never walk past another(coming in the opposite direction), on a staircase ....... bad luck for both of you.

• Like 1

I once went to one place which was supposed to be a coven years ago, I can tell you now, it was very spooky, the stone altars are still there.

Where?

Where?

Center rural France, French on my mothers side.

• Like 1

Never walk past another(coming in the opposite direction), on a staircase ....... bad luck for both of you.

What? where? how? whyyyyyy? haha, how did this one come about?

Could become tricky this one.

When you have boiled eggs, you must always put a hole in the bottom or smash the eggshell so that witches can't use them as boats. :w00t:

Edited by Queen in the North
  • Like 2

What? where? how? whyyyyyy? haha, how did this one come about?

Could become tricky this one.

I don't know ..... I can just remember, as a very small child, being yelled at by my sister to go back up the stairs, not pass her on any account. I was young enough not to question it ..... just accepted what anyone bigger than me said! :lol:

• Like 1

I don't know ..... I can just remember, as a very small child, being yelled at by my sister to go back up the stairs, not pass her on any account. I was young enough not to question it ..... just accepted what anyone bigger than me said! :lol:

Yeah I've heard this one too.

• Like 1

Oh aye, another couple.

If you put any of your clothes on inside out, you should leave them that way for good luck. It's bad luck to take them off, put them the right way out and put them back on.

And also, it's bad luck to put new shoes on the table.

If you drop a utensil on the floor,someone is coming to visit. The type of utensil indicates the sex.A spoon is a woman ,knife or fork is a man

If you don't want the visitor to come,you're supposed to step on the utensil before you pick it up .

I just heard this Chinese one . If a pregnant woman looks at a rabbit for too long,the child will be born with a harelip .

In Japan ,you never write someone's name in red ,or stick chopsticks upright into a bowl of rice .Both can mean death .

Whatever you do on New years eve,is what you will do all year long .For example,if you cry on new years ever,your coming year will be full of tears .

If you sleep with a piece of wedding cake under your pillow ,you will dream of your future spouse .

There are tons and tons of Japanese ones ,and I can't think of any .It's annoying me ..

Mostly to do with the dead ,or spirits...argh .

There's one here about crows. If you see crows sitting on a telephone wire.The number of them each mean something . Like seeing one means you will be alone all day .

Also for us,a black cat crossing your path .If its crosses right to left,it means bad luck ,left to right is good luck .

A bird tapping on a window means someone in the house will die .

Seeing an owl means a coming death of a loved one.

A clock stopping means someone in the house dies .

I want to say there's one about death if you hear a certain animal screech ,but I forget which animal it is .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

If you can peel an entire apple without the peel breaking.. If you toss it over your shoulder, it will land in the form of the initial of your future spouse.

And of course for brides... Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. And it's bad luck for the groom to see the bride on the wedding day before the ceremony.