Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Superstitions

Keel M.

http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/a-guide-for-the-anxious-11-japanese-superstitions-for-bad-luck/

Here are some Japanese ones . As for their numbers.I've never heard of number 9 being bad luck .

Only number four and number seven.That's because they both have Shi . In them .

There are alternate words for both number four and seven ,for this reason .

Shi also means death,but despite the kanji for it being very different for the numbers four and death,it freaks them out .

Four is shi ,seven is shichi .

Their alternates are yon and nana .

If you put any of your clothes on inside out, you should leave them that way for good luck. It's bad luck to take them off, put them the right way out and put them back on.

Yeah we done this and came to conclusion that its best to just put them back the right way as to looking like a p ** t for a day.

When you have boiled eggs, you must always put a hole in the bottom or smash the eggshell so that witches can't use them as boats. :w00t:

how big are your witches?

Tbh I'm not really superstitious.

You can tell I'm not when I don't actually know any.

But I'm aware of walking under ladders and the number 13.

However the number 13 is suspiciously missing on quite a few things.

From hotel rooms and footie squad numbers to levels on a skyscraper.

Tbh my sister does have a thing about me passing her on the stairs.

That's only because it's a tight squeeze.

If you drop a utensil on the floor,someone is coming to visit. The type of utensil indicates the sex.A spoon is a woman ,knife or fork is a man

If you don't want the visitor to come,you're supposed to step on the utensil before you pick it up .

I've heard of this, but here, fork=woman, knife=man, spoin=child. When I was younger, I was a waitress. One night I dropped a whole tray of silverware- we were swamped! My boss told me to never drop silverware again! Lol

Whenever you blow out a candle you wish for something, not just on birthday cakes. I always wish that my family and friends are safe.

Killing a spider will make it rain. Things come in threes- good and bad.

I've heard of this, but here, fork=woman, knife=man, spoin=child. When I was younger, I was a waitress. One night I dropped a whole tray of silverware- we were swamped! My boss told me to never drop silverware again! Lol

Whenever you blow out a candle you wish for something, not just on birthday cakes. I always wish that my family and friends are safe.

Killing a spider will make it rain. Things come in threes- good and bad.

And killing money spiders will make you lose money, and is bad luck.

well in my country of birth wich is Lithuania we have alp like creature called "aitvaras" who lives in people's attics and if you leave some milk for them they bring wealth to homes.

well if you beleve in alp creatures :tu:

Edited by modas
  • Like 1

I forgot ,the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter,will have second sight and supernatural gift .

Also being born with a caul over your face,gives second sight . Usually more of a girl thing than a boy ,but anyone can be born with a caul .

• 2 weeks later...

Today I was denied spaghetti because It was Ash Wednesday...I tried to protest that it does not apply to me but my superstitious mother said otherwise.

I just went to a burger shop instead.

b930ce9d_1cd234e6_half-trollface.jpeg

Also being born with a caul over your face,gives second sight . Usually more of a girl thing than a boy ,but anyone can be born with a caul .

Medieval midwives used to sell cauls to sailors as a talisman against drowning.

You cannot accept a knife for free or as a gift, it is bad luck. You must pay for it, even if it is with a penny.

Three people using one match is bad luck: Supposedly, this comes from World War I and trench warfare. A soldier might light his cigarette, and a buddy's quickly, but a third light supposedly gave an enemy sniper enough time to shoot at the light. That's the story ... who knows if it's true?

Kissing the bullet: Done at rifle ranges during target competition. The shooter kisses the bullet (projectile, not entire cartridge) before loading it into his rifle, for good luck. This actually comes from an old practice of licking or spitting on a lead bullet propelled by the old gunpowder (called "black powder" today). This old propellant creates a lot of sooty fouling, but the fouling is water-soluble. Adding a bit of moisture (saliva) to the exterior of the projectile softened the fouling in the rifle barrel. Softened, it was more easily pushed out by the bullet. Without this moisture, fouling built up and became hard and caked, filling the grooves of the rifling and affecting accuracy.

That's the story, but who knows if it's true. Modern day rifle shooters in competition may still "kiss the bullet" for good luck today, though modern smokeless powder doesn't create nearly as much fouling as the old gunpowder. It probably had no effect on the old propellant years ago, but lt became an accepted practice.

A cat washing behind its ears means rain is coming.

If the Sun shines while it's raining, it means the Devil is happy. An old, Flemish tale, but the Flemish have a seldom-heard flip side to this superstition: The Devil is happy because sunshine and rain means a whore is dying, and that's why He's happy. Yeah, makes no sense but few superstitions do.

If you give a knife to someone as a gift, they MUST give you a coin or something of value in return, or it's bad luck to get it. Some superstitions say that it's luckiest to give the knife-giver a penny. Somehow a free knife is bad luck.

Silver bullets can kill werewolves or vampires or whatever. The truth is, I don't know. But I DO know that it's a major pain in the patoot to create a silver bullet! Decades ago, a friend and I tried to cast one in a .45-caliber pistol mould. It took us hours to get one that was fully filled out. The problem lies in silver melting at a much higher temperature than lead. For molten silver to completely fill out in the mould, the mould must be a dull cherry red color (iron mould, that is).

I later loaded that silver bullet over gunpowder (black powder) in a .45 Long Colt case. Accuracy was terrible. at 30 feet the bullet missed the apple box I was using for a target. When I dug it out of the sandy hillside, the bullet was nearly unchanged, and bore only a few traces of the bore's rifling. Rifling is spiral grooves that "bite" into a lead bullet and cause it to spin point-on, giving it gyroscopic stability. This greatly increases accuracy.

But silver, being so much harder than lead, resisted this "biting" in. This accounts for the inaccuracy.

I have to chuckle when I see horror movies that show someone casting a bunch of silver bullets quickly and easily. Took me and a buddy about 4 hours of tinkering to get one good .45-caliber bullet.

And then, it was terribly inaccurate.

The Lone Ranger must be fibbing when he says he uses silver bullets.

• 2 weeks later...

If a cockrel crows in the hours of darkness it foretells of a death about to occur

If you leave a west facing window open over night it allows spirits into the house to wreak havoc

Witches cannot cross running water

I'm sure I know more but can't remember them for the life of me lol

Edited by Eilidh Enigma