Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking for... opinions

Keel M.

I was going to type this out as a blog post, but I know that not everyone here reads blog posts. To be honest, I'm sure there are a lot who don't read anything in the GOTD, but it's all I got. :P I'm mainly wanting to vent frustrations about work here and also, I guess, looking for opinions on whether or not I should feel the way I do.

I work for a small architect firm. There are nine of us all total, two licensed architects, six drafters (for lack of knowledge of a better word), one guy who does field work and me, the secretary. I have become friends with one of the girls here and sometimes I think she takes advantage of our friendship, insofar as work is concerned. Whenever she's late or not coming in, she texts rather than calls the office. Two other people here have my cell number, but they both call the office when they are running late or not coming in. That this "friend" texts my phone rather than calling the office drives me nuts. Ninety-nine percent of the time I am here before her and lately I've taken to turning my ringer off as soon as I get here. That's even when she remembers that she should communicate with us somehow in the event she's late or not coming in. Most of the time I have to call her and find out.

The biggest thing that ticks me off (and what I'm not sure about) is how often she sloughs work off on me. Everyone here has access to the one main email account we have. Some of us, myself included, have our own separate email address, but we all have access to the main one. With the exception of one of the architects (who is a Luddite), everyone sends their own emails. When she has to send one, she suddenly gets amnesia can't remember how to do this or that. When the Luddite asks her to do something that's even remotely clerical, she immediately asks if he wants her to ask me to do it. Other times she will just take it upon herself to ask me to do it so she doesn't have to do it. If it's outside the realm of architecture, she doesn't want to do it, even though she's perfectly capable of doing so. I did feel a little avenged yesterday when she asked the other architect if he wanted her to pass something onto me and he said, "No."

I have no problem answering the phones or doing anything that either of my bosses ask me to do, but I hate it when she asks me to do something. I feel more often than not, she is asking purely out of laziness. I know I'm the secretary for the whole office, but I feel like a lot of the time she takes way more advantage than the others, excluding my bosses. On the odd occasion that someone else on the production staff asks me for help, it's out of genuine need. They are either swamped with work or don't know how to do something.

Yesterday I thought she was going to gripe at me because she forgot about a meeting that she had set up. She told me about it last week and I wrote it down on my calendar, mostly to avoid creating a conflict with the schedule of either of my bosses. I feel if you set up a meeting, you should remember it on your own. We have calendars that we get at the beginning of every year, but she never uses one. At any rate, she said nothing about the meeting she forgot, thankfully.

Sounds like she's frustrating Lady K... I suppose you could speak with one of the bosses about it, but I'm not sure how much good or harm that would do.

I would tell her flat out to stop using your personal phone for business information. That is indeed what the office line is for. If you are turning off her phone, tell her that, so she knows trying to contact your personal phone is pointless.

Perhaps with the email forgetter, writing up a very basic one page primer for her use would be helpful. And yeah, I mean to be snarky with that, but it's something I've done in the past when people conveniently forget what to do. I couch it nicely though, just trying to be nice and helpful :)

A lot of the time if she asks me to do something she's "not quite sure" how to do, clearly hoping that I will do it for her, I explain how to do it instead.

• Like 1

I would tell her ONCE that I turn my phone off when I arrive at work, and that she needs to notify her supervisor/boss about any tardiness... Then later when she's late and hasn't called in - let the boss handle it...

I wouldn't go to the boss about her dumping everything on me, until after i have talked to her about it... and the first thing I would tell her is that the work she dumps on me is the lowest priority I have - and will be done after all other OFFICIAL work is completed IF I HAVE TIME.. and that she is still responsible for the work that was assigned to her...

As rashore said, a single page "how to" on email would be a good idea (also for future hires after she gets her butt canned!)... give it to her, explain it to her (as you would to a not too bright child) and then leave her to her own devices... Future pleas for help in this would result in comments similar to "I'm swamped right now, use the instruction sheet I gave you."...

She will continue to abuse your friendship until you lay down the boundaries...

but then I use to be a Drill Sgt so I tend to be a bit blunt at times...

Edited by Taun

Purple.

Rat poison.

Sometimes you really come out with some clinkers lol That gave me a laugh :P

• Like 1

A lot of the time if she asks me to do something she's "not quite sure" how to do, clearly hoping that I will do it for her, I explain how to do it instead.

Managing work colleagues and bosses is easy -

1. Next time she asks you to do something say - 'I would really like to help you out but I'm going to have to say no as I'm quite busy'

2. If the boss tries to give you her work say - 'I'm quite busy at the moment and whilst I dont mind doing these extra tasks it will mean other more important things wont get done. What should be my priority?' - You should find you'll get left to do your job.

I'm not so nice I'd tell her 'No I wont do that you checky git. Get up off your **** and do your jobs yourself'. If she moans let her.

Edited by Mr Right Wing