Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What exactly is Jesus Christ's message here?

Ultima Weapon

My reading of it is this, taken from the ongoing context of christ's teachings on this. Jesus said he did not come to do away with the law but to fulfil it. Or, he came as man, as fulfilment of the law.

He also said that, he who even thinks a sin in his mind commits that sin as much as anyone who physically commits it. But, to take the sting from this, he pointed out that the laws were made for man from love and that, while they had to be obeyed, they should be obeyed from love not legalism or fear.

In other words god gave us the laws out of his love, to show us right from wrong and to keep us from harming ourselves and others. Christ said that is how we should apply and obey the laws. For example, if we can help a person on the sabbath, then love comes first, before the legal interpretation of doing nothing wordly on the sabbath.

This is the message of all christ's teachings. The law comes from love and must be intepreted and obeyed out of love. If we love god, we will desire to obey his laws. But love comes before the law, and the laws were made for man. Man was not created to fit the laws. So, if obeying a law does harm to one we love (or to any human being) then we must weigh our actions, and act from love not legalism.Thus a nurse or a doctor can help people on the sabbath without breaking the sabbath laws, and so can anyone else put in a similar situation.

On the other hand we obey the laws in our hearts our minds and in practice, UNTIL they hurt another, or ourselves, because generally, the laws show us the way to the safest forms of conduct.

• Like 1

Well that's just my problem is that Jesus has different depictions in the four gospels themselves. Kinda makes it difficult for a believer to know exactly what to believe... :wacko:

Sometimes I think the bible was not meant to teach one "what to believe" but rather to reveal "what one does believe"

When I ask myself why I am so drawn to this book and the stories in it the only answer I can come up with is that it does not guide me or force me into believing something, it shows me what I am already believing...it reveals my blindness to me.

For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

I like the "Matthew" version of the gospel, well truth is I like the whole book (bible) but Matthew hides great treasure in "plain statements" that are seemingly over looked by most, his verses contradict their self as that some will state TWO opposite things instead of conveying one message...

ex: For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Is there going to be great tribulation or not?

What does the book of Rev. say about a beast that was and is not....

The gospel of Matthew gives the reader an exercise in "reconciling all things" it is saying... It is not cherry picking one over the other it is reconciling all things...

"On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

All the law and the prophets < not just the law, but the prophets also

For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.