Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does sea flood hold key to new medications ?

Saru

Creatures living at the bottom of the sea could provide powerful new ways to fight infection and disease.

Sea life studies aid researchers in several ways, including the development of new medications and biofuels. Because many of these ocean animal species have existed in harmony with their bacteria for millions of years, these benign bacteria have devised molecules that can affect body function without side effects and therefore better fight disease.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

and we take away. The taking is definitely disproportionate to the giving.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

I remember they found living sea sponges that would break bacteria's super resistence to modern antibiotic drugs. No one ever talks about that anymore though.

• Like 2

Wolverine , I agree . It will be stowed away by military/government to be used when they think fit . That means you and me have no chance .

• Like 1

You know, I saw something on TV recently(sorry, can't remember where) which said that it can take 10-15 years before a new therapeutic drug can hit the market be it derived from nature or man-made entirely.

This was respect to the US and FDA approval, I think, whereas the "active ingredients(s)" are isolated, tested, re-tested, multi-year human trials, side-effect characterizations, etc... Yes, it was in relationship to how the "Big Pharms" do things under US Law.

Don't hit me for mentioning Big Pharm !! I know most of us hate them.

I'm just relaying a TV story I heard...

You know, I saw something on TV recently(sorry, can't remember where) which said that it can take 10-15 years before a new therapeutic drug can hit the market be it derived from nature or man-made entirely.

This was respect to the US and FDA approval, I think, whereas the "active ingredients(s)" are isolated, tested, re-tested, multi-year human trials, side-effect characterizations, etc... Yes, it was in relationship to how the "Big Pharms" do things under US Law.

Don't hit me for mentioning Big Pharm !! I know most of us hate them.

I'm just relaying a TV story I heard...

It wouldn't surprise me. I don't remember which agency it was, but I read that getting new electronics to market is a process as there's testing for radioactivity, and other miscellaneous things as well. I mean...really, we need to test a nintendo for radioactivity? This wasn't the wifi enabled nintendos either. lol

Edited by WoIverine

Perhaps the sponges' abilities could not be easily mimiced or only worked if you would filter the person's blood through the sponge. Interesting concept though.

It wouldn't surprise me. I don't remember which agency it was, but I read that getting new electronics to market is a process as there's testing for radioactivity, and other miscellaneous things as well. I mean...really, we need to test a nintendo for radioactivity? This wasn't the wifi enabled nintendos either. lol

Funny you should mention that!

It's the "planar boards" in question. Planar boards are the multi-layered substrate for the electronics... the "board" itself without any electronics.

For consumer electronics it's now 2-3 layers when it use to be 5. Not sure what the military does. I think 5 or 7(for strength)

Anyway, it is true that some planar boards emit radioactivity from ingredients in construction.. Not harmful to humans at all, I do know that.

However, radioactivity can be very harmful to the functional integrity of the semiconductor electronics placed on-top, especially memory chips.

In other words, potential data corruption, as the radioactivity switches a "0" to a "1" or the other way around.

Anyway, sorry for off-topic...

• Like 1

We should probably test everything coming out of Japan for radioactivity.

We should probably test everything coming out of Japan for radioactivity.

Agreed, we should definitely test now, more than ever.