Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

GPs to prescribe self-help books

Still Waters

People suffering from anxiety, depression or relationship problems will be offered self-help books on prescription from their GPs, it was announced today.

Those suffering mental health issues will be given written prescriptions to visit their local library to read a selection of 30 approved texts.

http://www.telegraph...p-problems.html

• Like 2

I have the feeling that this is the worst idea since the construction of the tower of Babylon...

• Like 5

What if one of the prescribed books is already checked out?

'I -need- this book! My doctor said I -needed- it.'

"I'm sorry it's already checked out."

I'm not sure how this would actually work, considering that libraries will offer different books based on the location. Some villages are remote to where they don't even have a library and only have a mobile library come round every so often.

I would find it frustrating to be given a 'prescription' for a book. I'd feel passed over and not important. If I did have mental health issues, being prescribed a book would perhaps, make me even more unhealthy.

What if it was an illiterate person who was unable to read and yet was prescribed one of these books?

Good ole fashion talking and actively listening is far more productive unfortunately most GPs do not have enough time to invest into this sensible treatment.

But... it is a free service, so it is better than nothing I suppose.

Kind Regards.

• Like 3

It also pre-supposes that said patients would be able to recognise a library if they tripped over it, let alone actually read a book!

Considering 'depression' in its various forms is (second only to 'dodgy back'), probably the commonest reason given for the work-shy not to get off their backsides, then I don't really see this method of treatment amounting to much.

"I'm sorry Doctor, I read all those books you prescribed but they only seem to have given me a headache and sore eyes! Can I have a free pair of spectacles, Paracetamol, and another 'unfit for work' certificate, please?"

The minority of the (depressed) populace who are genuine, won't, I suspect, be helped by mere reading. IMO, that's too much of a positive action for the truly depressed to take, and I agree with Asadora, that good old-fashioned 'chin-wagging' in a convivial setting would be much more beneficial.

• Like 6

Doctor , I've broken my arm in 2 places....Doc "Well dont go to those places".

Doctor , How do I stand ?...... Doc "Its a miracle to me".

Doctor...I have a back ache..."take a Paracetamol"....I have a headache..."take a Paracetamol",....I have a heavy cold..."take a Paracetamol", I have Dengue Fever..."take a Paracetamol",....I'm Dying....."take 2 Paracetamol...

I trust Doctors are far a I can "P" against the wind, and what do you call a Phobia against Hospitals because I have that as well.

• Like 1

Doctor , I've broken my arm in 2 places....Doc "Well dont go to those places".

Doctor , How do I stand ?...... Doc "Its a miracle to me".

Doctor...I have a back ache..."take a Paracetamol"....I have a headache..."take a Paracetamol",....I have a heavy cold..."take a Paracetamol", I have Dengue Fever..."take a Paracetamol",....I'm Dying....."take 2 Paracetamol...

I trust Doctors are far a I can "P" against the wind, and what do you call a Phobia against Hospitals because I have that as well.

Phobia against hospitals would be called: Nosocomephobia

My husband had went to the GP (though it was a locum, so not his regular GP). Anyway, he goes because he is having back pain from the car accident of which he was involved. My husband didn't even get told to take paracetamol. All he was told was, 'Well, don't move that way if it hurts.' The action that my husband had demonstrated was -just- sitting in a chair.

I think in this instance, being told to read a book, could be productive, at least it could help to take the mind off the back pain... I suppose?

Thankfully the Husband is over that now.

• Like 1

It also pre-supposes that said patients would be able to recognise a library if they tripped over it, let alone actually read a book!

Considering 'depression' in its various forms is (second only to 'dodgy back'), probably the commonest reason given for the work-shy not to get off their backsides, then I don't really see this method of treatment amounting to much.

"I'm sorry Doctor, I read all those books you prescribed but they only seem to have given me a headache and sore eyes! Can I have a free pair of spectacles, Paracetamol, and another 'unfit for work' certificate, please?"

The minority of the (depressed) populace who are genuine, won't, I suspect, be helped by mere reading. IMO, that's too much of a positive action for the truly depressed to take, and I agree with Asadora, that good old-fashioned 'chin-wagging' in a convivial setting would be much more beneficial.

Ergasiophobia would be the 'work-shy' ones.

By the way, Ealdwita... that was a very kind how you put that, 'work-shy'. Also very true.

I'd also say that it's very true in regard to the doctors themselves. I do not believe I have ever witness my GP to have ever stood up. She is always sitting down when I see her.

• Like 1

Iatrophobia - fear of going to the doctor.

I've had to see the doctor every day for the past three weeks with all the medical problems I have - bad back, dizzyness, sore throat - the list is endless. Yesterday, the doctor said to me "I'm afraid you are a Hypochondriac." I thought, "Bloody hell-fire, on top of everything else - now this!"

• Like 3

Iatrophobia - fear of going to the doctor.

I've had to see the doctor every day for the past three weeks with all the medical problems I have - bad back, dizzyness, sore throat - the list is endless. Yesterday, the doctor said to me "I'm afraid you are a Hypochondriac." I thought, "Bloody hell-fire, on top of everything else - now this!"

I was drinking my coffee when I read this and now most of it is on my desk. Funny funny, Ealdwita! (The latter, not the former. Regarding the former, I would suggest a nice fire, a drinkable spirit and Mrs. Ealdwita giving you a shoulder rub. Remember, you have in-house health care!

• Like 1

I met a pal of mine who was emerging from the doctor's surgery the other day in floods of tears. "Whatever's the matter?" I asked him. He gulped and replied "The doctor's just told me I've got to take a tablet every day for the rest of my life!" I put a reassuring hand on his shoulder, "That's not too much of a problem, surely" I commiserated. Bert burst into tears again, "But he's only given me two bloody tablets!" he wailed.....

• Like 3

I was drinking my coffee when I read this and now most of it is on my desk. Funny funny, Ealdwita! (The latter, not the former. Regarding the former, I would suggest a nice fire, a drinkable spirit and Mrs. Ealdwita giving you a shoulder rub. Remember, you have in-house health care!

*Shudders while imagining being held in a Half-Nelson with Mrs.E's knee between his shoulder-blades!*

I love the aroma of horse liniment though!

• Like 1

Old guy comes to the doctor for a checkup. "You seem to be 20 years younger than your age" seez the doctor.

"Well", seez the guy,"that is because I never drank, never smoked never ate any sweets and never had anything with women, now I will celebrate my 80th next week"

The doctor scratches his head and seez "Interesting, may I ask with what you will celebrate?"

• Like 3

I met a pal of mine who was emerging from the doctor's surgery the other day in floods of tears. "Whatever's the matter?" I asked him. He gulped and replied "The doctor's just told me I've got to take a tablet every day for the rest of my life!" I put a reassuring hand on his shoulder, "That's not too much of a problem, surely" I commiserated. Bert burst into tears again, "But he's only given me two bloody tablets!" he wailed.....

That's... just wrong, but oh so gloriously funny!

*Shudders while imagining being held in a Half-Nelson with Mrs.E's knee between his shoulder-blades!*

I love the aroma of horse liniment though!

There is just so much one could say. Oh! So much!

However, I will just say that I will make sure that there is no drink within my hand when I come across your posts, Ealdwita. :tu:

• Like 1

Somebody stop this thread degenerating into a "When I went to the doctor's......" debacle!

Old guy comes to the doctor for a checkup. "You seem to be 20 years younger than your age" seez the doctor.

"Well", seez the guy,"that is because I never drank, never smoked never ate any sweets and never had anything with women, now I will celebrate my 80th next week"

The doctor scratches his head and seez "Interesting, may I ask with what you will celebrate?"

I..have read this five times now and I still can not seem to grasp this. The guy only 'seemed' to be 20 years younger than his age. Was his age actually 80 years? He never drank. Never smoked. Never ate any sweets, nor never had anything with women. I'm trying to figure out what else he could do. How would an assumed 80 year old man celebrate his birthday?

I am not taking the p**s. I sincerely do not get the joke. Maybe my Virgo is thinking too much on this... or my INTJ.

What is the pun?

(The above was stated with no intention to offend or to cause ill-Will. I simply stated the above in all honesty.)

Kindest Regards.

I..have read this five times now and I still can not seem to grasp this. The guy only 'seemed' to be 20 years younger than his age. Was his age actually 80 years? He never drank. Never smoked. Never ate any sweets, nor never had anything with women. I'm trying to figure out what else he could do. How would an assumed 80 year old man celebrate his birthday?

I am not taking the p**s. I sincerely do not get the joke. Maybe my Virgo is thinking too much on this... or my INTJ.

What is the pun?

(The above was stated with no intention to offend or to cause ill-Will. I simply stated the above in all honesty.)

Kindest Regards.

Ok, maybe you get it in the other version:

Guy comes to the doctor and seez he is sick.

"Well, do you smoke"?

"No, never did"

"Do you drink?"

"No, I am a teetotaler"

"Do you have much sex?"

"No, I am a monk and I take my vows very seriously"

The doctor scratches his head, reaches for a book on a shelf behind him and says "Don't worry, I will find something to forbid you".

• Like 1

Ok, maybe you get it in the other version:

Guy comes to the doctor and seez he is sick.

"Well, do you smoke"?

"No, never did"

"Do you drink?"

"No, I am a teetotaler"

"Do you have much sex?"

"No, I am a monk and I take my vows very seriously"

The doctor scratches his head, reaches for a book on a shelf behind him and says "Don't worry, I will find something to forbid you".

OH!!!!! I get it now!!! The second version was better (for me). Thank you for giving your time in order for me to understand and get the pun second time around.

:clap:

Many questions about the practicality of this. What if, as has already been mentioned, there is no library nearby, as could be the case these days, or the patient is only served by a mobile library, which isn't very frequent? What if the patient cannot get to the library? What if the library does not have the particular book that was recommended? Can libraries be sued by loved ones of a family member who self harmed or worse because they could not provide the prescribed material?

Side note: I didn't know people went to their GP with relationship problems. Maybe a self help book could work with that kind of issue.

However (and importantly), I'm not convinced that self help books will actually do anything to help people who are genuinely depressed and are reaching out for help. I would be deeply offended if I worked myself up to going to the GP to ask for help, thinking I have depression, and to be essentially told to go read a book.

• Like 2

Somebody stop this thread degenerating into a "When I went to the doctor's......" debacle!

Yep you are correct, but if you were being chased by a Lion, who or what would you rely on to get away, a doctor or your Horse ? Sadly G.P's are well overpaid for giving out pills, or passing you on to a Hospital "for futher tests", I was at the the Docs last week,I got a prescription for pills,took 2 ,then got a frantic phone call saying come to the surgery immediately ,dont take any pills, we have given you the wrong ones.Ah well you gotta "pop" off sometime.

So instead of being sent to one those NHS shrinks who are fighting for their own jobs while many mental health patients are being forced back onto the streets, you can just pop over to the local library....oh wait, its not so local anymore because many libraries have been closed down:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/8827267/As-libraries-close-is-that-the-end-of-the-stories.html

But for all those who are illiterate, its ok because you can always go and see the NHS shrink because soon they will be able to fit you in as they have turfed out all the mental cases back onto the streets:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9592407/Geriatric-and-mental-health-wards-threatened-by-NHS-cuts.html

It seems quite obvious why the doctors are sending people with depression to the libraries, they have no where else to send them and they are not trained to deal with these patients and getting away with prescribing some pharmaceuticals tablets is not helping, as well as costing to NHS too much when the money.

• Like 1

And what is this supposed to do for them ?

What if they don't like to read. Reading and taking a pill,are two very different things .

It has no placebo affect either .

• Like 1

How to fashion a noose from almost anything is a great Government Publication. Sadly... it's only available by prescription to the terminally ill.

• Like 1