Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cannabis Farming In Kentucky

questionmark

Kentucky Republicans and business leaders are promoting an unlikely way to boost the state’s economic development: Grow cannabis.

Kentucky leaders want their state to become the king of hemp, a plant that comes from the same species as marijuana, though doesn’t contain enough of the intoxicating ingredient to cause a high.

They want to help state farmers overcome the federal government’s treatment of hemp as an illegal drug, and produce it on an industrial scale, for use in items such as soap, horse bedding, building materials and auto body parts. Kentucky is one of at least five states, including Indiana and Vermont, where lawmakers have introduced measures allowing hemp farming.

Read more

• Like 1

I live in Kentucky I think it is a great idea. The soil is perfect for growing it. Grow the good stuff too

I live in Kentucky I think it is a great idea. The soil is perfect for growing it. Grow the good stuff too

Don't worry, once the other stuff is there in a large enough amount there will be some contraband in there. The main reason why hemp growing is either outlawed or very controlled in most states.

Great, that should slow down some of the gun toting criminals.

Am I asking to get shot by putting that?

1623610735_smiley_emoticon_scared_sticker_answer_1_small.jpeg

Edited by freetoroam

Great, that should slow down some of the gun toting criminals.

Am I asking to get shot by putting that?

1623610735_smiley_emoticon_scared_sticker_answer_1_small.jpeg

Nope, just proves you are a troll.

• Like 2

Don't worry, once the other stuff is there in a large enough amount there will be some contraband in there. The main reason why hemp growing is either outlawed or very controlled in most states.

The main reason isn't because of the potential of sneaking in the good stuff. The main reason is because most things formerly made from hemp are now made from nylon produced by Dupont, the evil corporation responsible for making hemp ilegal for that reason.

edit, as I understand it pot has been the #1 cash crop in TN for decades anyway.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

Good, it is stupid not to grow it. It is too useful to waste such a renewable resource. As well as the stuff they said there is paper, cloth and oil.

• Like 4

Good, it is stupid not to grow it. It is too useful to waste such a renewable resource. As well as the stuff they said there is paper, cloth and oil.

But what about refer madness?!?!?!? Think of the kidz man!!!!
  • Like 5

It is one of the most usable useful renewable resources we have.

• Like 2

It's as Oversword said, the corporations came in with a profit to make and they lobbied against the Demon Weed that any American can grow outside in dirt to make sure it didn't have a chance in hell of being accepted again. Now with the drug culture of pill poppers we've become, it's no wonder the flower is still illegal in the 21st century. The toxic plastic conjured up in the laboratory is too important to sacrifice for a non-toxic product of nature that achieves far superior results. Marijuana is good medicine for anybody, and you don't even need to be suffering from a health condition to benefit from it.

Kentucky aside, I want to give mega kudos to Colorado and Washington. I'm still waiting for those mass crime wave in Washington and Colorado that "conservative" Bill O' Reilly has made tens of millions of dollars parroting about in his books and TV show.

"So many wars have been fought over the substance called cannabis or marijuana, billions and billions of dollars expended, millions of American citizens incarcerated and stripped of their liberty, too many lives destroyed. Few ask the pregnant questions: Where did marijuana come from? How long has it been around? When did marijuana become illegal? Why did the United States Federal Government criminalize it in 1937?"

After a two-hour committee hearing and a 92-second debate on the house floor, marijuana was de facto criminalized by Congress with passage of The Marihuana Tax Stamp Act of 1937, signed into law by President Roosevelt. A violation of the Tax Stamp Act was a felony with a maximum fine of $2,000 and/or 5 years in prison.

Like the Harrison Act passed twenty-three years earlier, the 1937 Act did not make possession or use of marihuana illegal (as this would run afoul of the Constitution's limitations on the power of the federal government), but instead required that the person possessing it have a "tax stamp." In a classic Catch-22 situation, it was a legal impossibility to obtain a marijuana tax stamp. In order to obtain a tax stamp, you had to have the marijuana in hand – which was a five year felony (this same tactic was used during Prohibition to ban machine guns). Not surprisingly, there was not a single recreational marihuana stamp tax ever issued.

http://brucealanblock.com/why-marijuana-became-legal/

• Like 1

I thought the title said : Cannibals farming in Kentucky ...and I thought ,gosh,are they using body parts they don't eat to fertilize ...

:P

I thought the title said : Cannibals farming in Kentucky ...and I thought ,gosh,are they using body parts they don't eat to fertilize ...

:P

It might as well be cannibals the way the govt wants you to think about that plant.

It might as well be cannibals the way the govt wants you to think about that plant.

I'm the herbalist ,remember . I know all about the smear campaign from decades ago,that our govt still perpetuates .

They're such hypocrits .

Naahh ,I think looking at my small cellphone screen is making my eyes tired . Or I'm nuts .Take your pick .

I do not smoke the stuff myself,but i see no problem with it.Much safer than cigarettes,doesnt cause people to act violent or go around stealing to buy some more,Helps cancer patients have a appetite,helps some with chronic pains and many other purposes.Industrial hemp being banned is absolutely one of the stupidest things on the books the uses are almost unlimited!

• Like 2

herbalist...Im gonna go with

Or I'm nuts
just because out of all the things listed they match

Nope, just proves you are a troll.

Evening Bonnie.

Troll! That old chestnut!

girl02-female-roll-eyes-smirk-smiley-emoticon-000471-medium.gif

I do not smoke the stuff myself,but i see no problem with it.Much safer than cigarettes,doesnt cause people to act violent or go around stealing to buy some more,Helps cancer patients have a appetite,helps some with chronic pains and many other purposes.Industrial hemp being banned is absolutely one of the stupidest things on the books the uses are almost unlimited!

Have smoked it in the past, in my youth, once! I do know people who do take it to relieve pain.

But if its taking money away from the pharmaceutical companies, you can guarantee they will pay who ever they can to take it off the streets and bribe someone to declare it illegal.

• Like 1

It does seem a scary thing that Big Pharm wants in on the whole Cannabis thing. The whole point of legalizing it is for personal use not Big Pharm production.

Leave it to some Governmt lobbying group to twist a good thing into a bad thing.

Now if there only gonna grow hemp as in the plant not the drug then Im all for it.

At one time in the US's history farmers were required by law to grow hemp (farmers could even pay their federal taxes with it) in order to supply the navy with rope and sails ( and the army with uniforms ) it was the cotton industry, the chemical industry and the pulp and paper industry that successfully lobbied the government to make it illegal. They found the obscure name marijuana in mexico and the rest is history.

Consider that one acre of hemp can make as much paper as four acres of trees. The paper is softer, stronger and ages better. And hemp grows fast, really fast.

I've read that hemp is such an incredible plant for so many reasons that some people have suggested it must be alien to this planet.

Hemp being made illegal is a prime example how the US federal government has always been for sale to the highest bidder. Think of what we've lost not having the opportunity to take advantage of this marvelous plant for so many years.

• Like 6

It does seem a scary thing that Big Pharm wants in on the whole Cannabis thing. The whole point of legalizing it is for personal use not Big Pharm production.

Leave it to some Governmt lobbying group to twist a good thing into a bad thing.

Now if there only gonna grow hemp as in the plant not the drug then Im all for it.

The pharmaceutical companies will do whatever because they know the market is there, them miss out on that? Not if they can help it. They will then doctor it, bottle it, and sell it for billions though the health services.....Oh, and buy every hemp farm out there.

Anything which can produce drugs, they want in....England was once he biggest exporters of heroine from Afghanistan, not sure who is now!!

Edited by freetoroam

Not to mention the O2/Co2 conversion that occurs on an acre of hemp plant. KIts greater then forested land and more renewable

• Like 1

It's about time ! .. again. Ya, hemp, and the more fragrant varieties , are all Cannabis plants.

I knew Good old fashioned greed would win out in favor of Hemp. I hate to see Big Pharma gain control of 'medicinal' maryjane.

I think all forms of cannabis should be totally UN regulated .. lIke other herbs and weeds. I'm not promoting drugs.. i don't like drugs... i'm promoting weeds . *FREE WEEDS* lol Dandelion Power!

Edited by lightly