Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"types" of experiences you believe

SpiritWriter

Have you had experiences? I've never had an experience that couldn't be readily and comfortably explained by known real-world phenomenon.

Do you tend to believe others when they confide thier stories to you? I have no problem (usually) believing in an eyewitness's sincerity. However I am quite aware of the fallibility of our human senses and how very un-objective our senses and brains can be when in the middle of an "experience".

Do you accept some types of stories but not others? I believe in things that can be measured objectively. Things that are as true for one observer as they are to the next. I'm an empirical person. Thats what makes sense to me. I listen with an open mind to begin with, to aborb what information there is, respectfully. Then I apply what, if any, background knowledge I have to the topic to understand what i can. If there is a lack of knowledge on my part I attempt to gather resources to help myself better understand.

Do you believe in ghosts? I've not yet seen anything that would convice me of their existence.

Do you believe in angels? I've not yet seen anything that would convice me of their existence.

Do you believe in aliens? I've not yet seen anything that would convice me of their existence, however I know that the universe is a very big place. I don't believe that life could possibly only exist on our planet. Do I believe we've been visited by this potential other life? No.

Do you believe in other types of spirits not listed here for example demons or fairies etc... I've not yet seen anything that would convice me of their existence.

Do you believe in God (or gods and goddesses?) I believe that divinity exists within us all. But do not believe in a unique, separate, creator-type entity named God exists as such.

Do you believe entities can communicate through dreams? I think that dreams are the mind, unfettered at play. The ultimate imaginative experience. So, no.

Do you think entities can appear in this realm and be visible for some to see? I've not yet seen anything that would convice me of that phenomenon.

Do you believe humans can travel to the spirit world? No.

Do you believe in religious visions? I think that people can have mental revelations that are profound and important, and that if they choose to attribute them to influence from a divine being, then they should if it helpful to them and doesn't hurt other people.

What types of stories are valid to you? Stories that are objective, supported by irrefutable evidence, and repeatable by anyone.

Do you base what is valid upon your own experiences? Having had no experience I would term "paranormal" or "supernatural" I can't really answer this. If in fact i saw something unexplainable I would doubt it however, knowing how fallible my own human senses are.

If you do accept some reports and not others.. why? See above answer to nearly identical question......

• Like 1

Jesus said that we are all gods.

Could you quote me chapter and verse for this, please? I've never seen that claim made before. Thanks.

Could you quote me chapter and verse for this, please? I've never seen that claim made before. Thanks.

Psalms 82:6

John 10:34

Btw I have a muslim friend who heard the word of god speak to her ear and told her to turn to this verse and read it (john 10) she had never opened the bible before or even considered it. Not only that but a day or two later she was riding the bus and was sitting next to an attractive young man and she struck up a conversation with him. She asked him what he was reading and guess what it was - John 10... she was very surprised first because of the coincidence in bible verse and secondly because he didnt look like the type to be reading the bible at all... She told me about what happened and so I too read that verse and had never (to my memory) recalled reading that verse or hearing a sermon about it and I had been in church for 12 years. The very next Sunday my pastor preached on these verses...

It is not uncommon for synchronic events to occur when it comes to scripture so I wasn't "amazed" - (edit:okay let me not lie I was feeling amazed that weekend) :) but it sure is noteworthy! :)

I love that verse too... very powerful/meaningful

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

Psalms 82:6

John 10:34

Thank you.

• Like 1

Thank you SpiritWriter. I may have never of found that scripture.

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, "You are gods" '?

Psalms 82:6 I said, "You are gods, and all of you are children of the Most High.

Thank you SpiritWriter. I may have never of found that scripture.

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, "You are gods" '?

Psalms 82:6 I said, "You are gods, and all of you are children of the Most High.

I knew it was john 10 from the story I just told you, then I saw it said 'is it not written' so I knew there would be a reference verse.. just a little internet search.... ;)

• Like 1

I knew it was john 10 from the story I just told you, then I saw it said 'is it not written' so I knew there would be a reference verse.. just a little internet search.... ;)

The internet search makes it easy. Thanks for the info.

While thinking about these posts, it occurred to me that many of us accept what we've seen or experienced as fact, or real, and where belief comes in to play is what we make of those experiences, how we process & interpret them. Most of us do this through our own cultural bias, which includes our language and how we use it. Some say they saw, for instance, a "ghost", others a "spirit", some would say "entity" or "orb", I use "spook", others might say "demon", etc. For me it's clear there are other things living among us, I'll use the word spook as a general inclusive work, but as to what they might be, how they exist, why not everyone sees them, etc. is mostly what UM is about, I think. Many of us are seeing or experiencing the same things, but what we make of it varies widely.

• Like 2