Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My, my, - ARMED guard stops school shooter

Rafterman

Seem to remember a lot of Dectective shows and Westerns on TV in the 60s and 70s. Then there was a favorite of mine (which I recently found reruns of on MeTV) "Combat!". Plenty of people getting shot on TV in the 60s and 70s. Not many school shootings back then, at least that I'm aware of.

There was a difference though, you watched TV for an hour and then the family sat down for dinner, the tv was turned off and the rest of the evening was spend talking about the day. On Sunday TV was maybe watched for 2 hours. And, depending on the family, the most violent thing kids got to see was Bonanza. Today the TV goes on when people stand up and it goes off when they go to bed.

In many families there was not even a TV when the kids were small (we got one when my smallest sister was 10, I was 16 at the time, and not because my parents could not afford one but because they maintained that it hampered the intellectual progress of children by inhibiting the imagination)

• Like 1

There was a difference though, you watched TV for an hour and then the family sat down for dinner, the tv was turned off and the rest of the evening was spend talking about the day. On Sunday TV was maybe watched for 2 hours. And, depending on the family, the most violent thing kids got to see was Bonanza. Today the TV goes on when people stand up and it goes off when they go to bed.

In many families there was not even a TV when the kids were small (we got one when my smallest sister was 10, I was 16 at the time, and not because my parents could not afford one but because they maintained that it hampered the intellectual progress of children by inhibiting the imagination)

I think perhaps you are generalizing a little too much. Not every family only watched an hour of TV a day. I used to watch several hours of cartoons on Saturday mornings (talk about violence :-* ). Not all parents were as concerned about their kids watching TV as yours. I think average viewing hours went up massively in the 70s (just the way I remember it, not a fact as I haven't researched this) after cable became more prevelant.

No, I want people to have the means to defend themselves. I live in Phoenix, and some guy just shot a few people in an office building. Thing is, we're an open carry state, and the reason this guy was able to get away is because that particular building had the 'no guns' sign posted. Had he been in a lot of other places, you would read a story similar to this http://www.dailymail...hases-door.html

Even if you were to give an elementary school student a gun they wouldn't be able to defend themself against an armed grown attacker. Someone else has to protect them. Even my NRA friends here in Iowa don't carry 24/7. What alarms me about all these incidents is not the gun control aspect, but the fact that everyone is pushing towards armed guards for everything. Where do they think these armed guards are going to come from and who do you think they will be ultimately working for? I suppose we could be like Cuidad de Este in Paraguay where every store had a guard with a shotgun standing by the doorway. Or would you prefer more of an Israel style guard system where everyone is in the army and issued an assault weapon? You yourself pointed out that the shooters were targeting areas that seemed vulnerable and not just schools and theaters.

• Like 1

I think perhaps you are generalizing a little too much. Not every family only watched an hour of TV a day. I used to watch several hours of cartoons on Saturday mornings (talk about violence :-* ). Not all parents were as concerned about their kids watching TV as yours. I think average viewing hours went up massively in the 70s (just the way I remember it, not a fact as I haven't researched this) after cable became more prevelant.

Cable came along in the 80s, not the 70s. But you really made me wonder about the statistics of TV watching and guess what? If they exist they don't seem to be readily available. I'll try to dig something out.

Even if you were to give an elementary school student a gun they wouldn't be able to defend themself against an armed grown attacker. Someone else has to protect them. Even my NRA friends here in Iowa don't carry 24/7. What alarms me about all these incidents is not the gun control aspect, but the fact that everyone is pushing towards armed guards for everything. Where do they think these armed guards are going to come from and who do you think they will be ultimately working for? I suppose we could be like Cuidad de Este in Paraguay where every store had a guard with a shotgun standing by the doorway. Or would you prefer more of an Israel style guard system where everyone is in the army and issued an assault weapon? You yourself pointed out that the shooters were targeting areas that seemed vulnerable and not just schools and theaters.

My apologies, did not know that was being implied; I am not advocating juveniles to be carrying weapons. I am advocating that adults without felonies learn to handle and carry firearms.

• Like 1

Thanks, I found that one but sadly the viewing hour statistics end in '78 (at average ~7) the big boom did not start until then, so 78-2000 is the inetersting part.

Edit: statistics brain has something pretty compelling:

Hours per year the average American youth spends in school 900 hours

Hours per year the average American youth watches television 1,200 hours

and :

Average time spent watching television (U.S.) 5:11 hours

White 5:02

Black 7:12

Hispanic 4:35

Asian 3:14

Now,which of these groups is the most successful?

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 2

Thanks, I found that one but sadly the viewing hour statistics end in '78 (at average ~7) the big boom did not start until then, so 78-2000 is the inetersting part.

I was mainly looking for the early years, because there have been a bunch of statistics done on the later ones.

Im glad this school shooting got stopped. Although it wasnt one of the "turkey shoots" it shows us something about what might works. I heard a comment made and cant remember by who but it resounded with truth to me regarding armed guards in schools.

It basically went. We are in a unique situation regarding these school situations. One that we dont have an answer for yet. Ill support any school or district that is willing to try a solution to end this violence to our most precious assett. Our children. Will mistakes be made. Certainly. But along the way by trying different ideas we may find a solution and what works to stop this unnecessary violence. In the end we mind find the solution that works so I support any action a school or school district deems necessary at this point in time to ensure the safety of its students.

I liked this because it was solution driven and he was correct when he said we do not yet have the answer to this problem. One which we all agree must end.

Here is a more current one, but we are still missing a few years between '78 and '91.

http://www.worldtvpc...-all-time-high/

Exactly what we needed, so we can see that from about 5 hours in the 50s it grew to over 8 hours in 2009. On average people watch TV about the same time they sleep or are at work.

Exactly what we needed, so we can see that from about 5 hours in the 50s it grew to over 8 hours in 2009. On average people watch TV about the same time they sleep or are at work.

I thought you would have found it by the time I checked the roast and washed dishes. :P

I don't know if I would put it down to TV though. Remember how Elvis swinging his hips, The Beatles and rock music in general were going to corrupt us all? All I used to read, from the age of about eight, was paranormal, Edgar Allen Poe, Alfred Hitchcock, Steven King, etc. and mostly watched scary movies on TV. For the average person those sort of things are a blip in their lives. I never had to have anyone sit down and explain to me that those things weren't real. I think there is something inherently wrong with people who can't grasp reality and some people are simply born a little odd...some more than others. One child I knew, when he was about two years old was already being extremely cruel to animals. They moved away and I lost touch when he was five, but he had killed six kittens and tried to kill the mother cat just before they moved. His mother didn't know how to deal with him...I'd hate to know what he did later on.

• Like 1

I thought you would have found it by the time I checked the roast and washed dishes. :P

I don't know if I would put it down to TV though. Remember how Elvis swinging his hips, The Beatles and rock music in general were going to corrupt us all? All I used to read, from the age of about eight, was paranormal, Edgar Allen Poe, Alfred Hitchcock, Steven King, etc. and mostly watched scary movies on TV. For the average person those sort of things are a blip in their lives. I never had to have anyone sit down and explain to me that those things weren't real. I think there is something inherently wrong with people who can't grasp reality and some people are simply born a little odd...some more than others. One child I knew, when he was about two years old was already being extremely cruel to animals. They moved away and I lost touch when he was five, but he had killed six kittens and tried to kill the mother cat just before they moved. His mother didn't know how to deal with him...I'd hate to know what he did later on.

Naturally it is not all down to.... (put in as needed), it is a combination of many factors, the question is how these factors interact. A problematic upbringing, family violence and violent TV shows are surely not what you need to raise a balanced person. But just parking the kids without a meaningful social interaction in front of the box surely does nothing for the mental health of a country.

IMO TV propogates the Sheeple mentality. Itleast on a cpu you have to use your brain to navigate at the minimum.

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 1

There is no rhyme or reason to it. I've known lots of kids that were brought up in the most adverse of situations that turned out great. People can have four or five kids, raise them all the same and one of them will go rogue. Everybody is wired differently.

• Like 2

IMO TV propogates the Sheeple mentality. Itleast on a cpu you have to use your brain to navigate at the minimum.

Except for the people that think everything on the internet is true.

• Like 1

Except for the people that think everything on the internet is true.

Yeah not sure which is worse. That or those that take modern media seriously and as truth.

• Like 4

There is no rhyme or reason to it. I've known lots of kids that were brought up in the most adverse of situations that turned out great. People can have four or five kids, raise them all the same and one of them will go rogue. Everybody is wired differently.

Not every person, even under the same roof, makes the same experiences.Small things, that at the time seem insignificant, can make a huge difference in the development of a child. If the kid has nowhere to turn to when not being able to make sense out of a situation then a trauma forms, trauma leads to instability or delusion.

• Like 1

Not every person, even under the same roof, makes the same experiences.Small things, that at the time seem insignificant, can make a huge difference in the development of a child. If the kid has nowhere to turn to when not being able to make sense out of a situation then a trauma forms, trauma leads to instability or delusion.

I know...I only have to look at my own family to see it.

We have a lot less people hanging from bridges without heads.

Very true. And I am not by any means talking about the overall level of violence in general but rather gun policies around schools. The city I live in is in a US consulate advisory "stay away from zone" yet the schools don´t have metal detectors, and I can only recall one incident of a school shooting and that was in Juarez and cartel members were involved. But hey if some people want to believe handing out guns to everyone will help the situation then they are free to do so.

• Like 1

A general increase in violence in american society does seem to parallel the rise of violent TV and violent video games.. It has to be a contributing factor. Kids get the message that killing is just a normal part of life , and can even be sort of fun !* Militarism also teaches kids that killing can be a good thing and that life is expendable. Killing, or the use of force to get what you want, is just a necessary part of human existence somehow. The idea of killing another human being has become far too acceptable.

in the old days LOL we were taught that life is precious. A lot of kids don't seem to be taught that nowadays ?

• Like 3

The most violent thing in society is mainstream media. The way they portray the violence any no brain nut knows they can get 5 minutes of fame.

• Like 1

Good to see a guard managed to get the gun from him. How did the kid get the gun in the first place though? Did he get it from the black market? Or did he grab it from his parents nightstand?

It has now been reported that it was a gang related shooting. Wasn't a big surprise to me, knowing the area.

It has now been reported that it was a gang related shooting. Wasn't a big surprise to me, knowing the area.

Gang leaders usually distribute guns to their members, so it could have come from anywhere. Stolen, bought, or gotten from the black market.

• Like 1

what ever happened to schools that used to teach reading,writing and arithmetic and all the little kids were safe enjoying life? So much for the American dream. Violence is glorified and is now the norm and somewhere in the last two or three generations we missed the boat.

• Like 2