Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More Horsmeat in your diet

AsteroidX

They used to sell it in Seattle in WWII. It was cheaper then beef...

They used to sell it everywhere when there were still enough work horses. Something had to be done with them... besides bone glue.

I would much rather be told I am eating horse meat than NOT being told until later that the meat is halal. Now the shops and fast food chains have to tell us, but sure there was a time when they did not. KFC is one place I will never go to.

How can people be so hum hoe about horse meat and yet ok about meat for sale which has been slaughtered because of a religion?

Where are the animal rights brigade now? they were quick enough to get fur off the racks but they seem ok with butchered and inhumanly slaughtered animals in fast food and supermarket chains???

Eating horse meat is no different from eating cow, the only difference is horses are working and are intelligent animals, they are not bred for eating.

• Like 1

People who eat horsemeat can have an allergic reaction to tetanus vaccine because the horse immune system is used to create the vaccine.

http://survivalism.wolfeblog.net/component/content/article/23-peak-food/39-horse-meat-primer

I would eat horse before dying from starvation, but only then.

• Like 2

People who eat horsemeat can have an allergic reaction to tetanus vaccine because the horse immune system is used to create the vaccine.

http://survivalism.w...rse-meat-primer

I would eat horse before dying from starvation, but only then.

This is what many people have been saying.

These horses were never meant to be used as meat to be eaten by humans.

I doubt in countries were they do eat horse meat, that the horses would be having the vaccine in the first place.

Funny how they are telling us that the meat is safe and yet they had no idea the horses were being mixed with other meats in the first place!

Trust me you don't want to eat horse, based on the fly sprays, the bute, the worming medicines, etc, none of which are in any sense good for humans to consume. They don't raise horses for human consupmtion anymore in the US because of the vaccine issue as posted earlier. In Europe a small amount of horses are specificially raised for human consumption and are generally free of any dangerous chemicals but since none of this was regulated at the Irish processing plant, you can well imagine the "source" for those horses were former race horses and the like. Race horses are pumped full of chemicals some of them cancer causing in humans.

• Like 1

i have eaten horse several times over the years ( back before horses became pets) and i have to say it is a good meat, very tasty ( a little tough though) i would be more than willing to eat it again if i could find it.

Where are the animal rights brigade now? they were quick enough to get fur off the racks but they seem ok with butchered and inhumanly slaughtered animals in fast food and supermarket chains???

Animal welfare groups have been advocating against Kosher and Halal ritual slaughter for many years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/2977086.stm

http://www.globalpos...ck-halal-kosher

http://www.animalifi...s-video-12.html

Anyways, no worries about not getting enough horsey burgers in the U.S.A. Ever since the US banned horse slaughter, Canada has increased its production of horse "products". http://www.hsicanada...orse_slaughter/

The Canadian government has no qualms about clubbing seals (cuz they're eating all the cod dont'cha know?) slaughtering horses or culling thousands of dogs on Indian reserves.

• Like 1

Animal welfare groups have been advocating against Kosher and Halal ritual slaughter for many years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/2977086.stm Britain 2003

http://www.globalpos...ck-halal-kosher Good on the Dutch

http://www.animalifi...s-video-12.html

They need to shout far loader than that, there are halal shops all over the place in Tower Hamlets and Luton.

Their campaign needs to really step up a gear, you can now buy halal in many of the supermarkets.....its a disgrace!

I want to see the animal rights campaigners stand outside the supermarkets and halal shops with their banners like they did with the fur shops!!!

And yes, I have told these supermarkets what I think, but seeing that most are owned by the Jews, its not getting me far. surely the animal right campaigners can do something more?

I would much rather be told I am eating horse meat than NOT being told until later that the meat is halal. Now the shops and fast food chains have to tell us, but sure there was a time when they did not. KFC is one place I will never go to.

How can people be so hum hoe about horse meat and yet ok about meat for sale which has been slaughtered because of a religion?

Eating horse meat is no different from eating cow, the only difference is horses are working and are intelligent animals, they are not bred for eating.

Yeah, horses are very intelligent. I won't eat dolphin either. But I do like tuna and some other fishes.

And even if were stranded somewhere with my precious pet dog, I don't think I could bring myself to eat her, even if she were already dead and I was starving.

I think I would just bury her and eat grass, bugs and berries instead.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

They need to shout far loader than that, there are halal shops all over the place in Tower Hamlets and Luton. Their campaign needs to really step up a gear, you can now buy halal in many of the supermarkets.....its a disgrace!

Supply and demand. There seems to be a fast growing Muslim population in Europe. Also, the moment you criticize Kosher or Halal slaughter methods, you are immediately labelled an anti-Semite or Islamophobe.

In the same article, the director of the World Halal Forum Europe Project, Abdalhamid Evans, cites Temple Grandin as his authority on animal welfare. Ms Grandin has become somewhat of a celebrity because of her autism which allegedly allows her some kind of special ability to know what cattle are feeling. Her celebrity status has even her earned an HBO movie.

The scary part is this women has "designed over 50% cattle slaughterhouses in the country". She thinks that slitting an animals throat, without stunning it first, and letting it bleed to death is a perfectly acceptable ethical practice. If you search for "kosher halal animal welfare" in google, the second article at the top of the list is her paper on Kosher and Halal slaughter,and how humane it can be.

Naturally she has her critics, but she keeps telling governments and meat processors exactly what they want to hear, so it's going to be a big challenge to change this bizarre and inhumane practice.

Here's a good summary of the problem with Ms Grandin;

"The article reports that after watching the rotating pen hang cows upside down and then slit their throats, slaughterhouse workers now listen for signs of consciousness before dumping the cows’ bodies. Grandin used her divine gift of intuition and many years of animal behavior expertise to access the situation: “I didn’t hear any cows mooing,” Grandin said. “When they do things wrong, cows moo.”

Am I wrong to be annoyed by Temple Grandin’s existence? It’s not that I don’t like her. It’s just that I’m irritated by the way people flock to her for answers as though she were some sort of psychic bridge connecting humans to the minds of animals. Why don’t people take a much shorter leap of faith and listen to the voice in their heads that says all living creatures wanna keep on living, they don’t wanna die in some multi-million dollar “humane” slaughter complex?"

• Like 1

What about non-mammal fish, shrimp, etc... netted or captured, brought out of the water, suffocate, and eventually becomes someone's meal?

Is that inhumane?

• Like 1

Yeah, horses are very intelligent. I won't eat dolphin either. But I do like tuna and some other fishes.

And even if were stranded somewhere with my precious pet dog, I don't think I could bring myself to eat her, even if she were already dead and I was starving.

I think I would just bury her and eat grass, bugs and berries instead.

Oh no, i could never ever eat my dog, the thought of it makes breaks my heart. Bugs and berries? yep, I can live with that. :tu:

Supply and demand. There seems to be a fast growing Muslim population in Europe. Also, the moment you criticize Kosher or Halal slaughter methods, you are immediately labelled an anti-Semite or Islamophobe.

In the same article, the director of the World Halal Forum Europe Project, Abdalhamid Evans, cites Temple Grandin as his authority on animal welfare. Ms Grandin has become somewhat of a celebrity because of her autism which allegedly allows her some kind of special ability to know what cattle are feeling. Her celebrity status has even her earned an HBO movie.

The scary part is this women has "designed over 50% cattle slaughterhouses in the country". She thinks that slitting an animals throat, without stunning it first, and letting it bleed to death is a perfectly acceptable ethical practice. If you search for "kosher halal animal welfare" in google, the second article at the top of the list is her paper on Kosher and Halal slaughter,and how humane it can be.

Naturally she has her critics, but she keeps telling governments and meat processors exactly what they want to hear, so it's going to be a big challenge to change this bizarre and inhumane practice.

Here's a good summary of the problem with Ms Grandin;

"The article reports that after watching the rotating pen hang cows upside down and then slit their throats, slaughterhouse workers now listen for signs of consciousness before dumping the cows’ bodies. Grandin used her divine gift of intuition and many years of animal behavior expertise to access the situation: “I didn’t hear any cows mooing,” Grandin said. “When they do things wrong, cows moo.”

Am I wrong to be annoyed by Temple Grandin’s existence? It’s not that I don’t like her. It’s just that I’m irritated by the way people flock to her for answers as though she were some sort of psychic bridge connecting humans to the minds of animals. Why don’t people take a much shorter leap of faith and listen to the voice in their heads that says all living creatures wanna keep on living, they don’t wanna die in some multi-million dollar “humane” slaughter complex?"

They can call me anti-Semite or Islamophobe. if they like, I call them MURDERERS!

I agree with your post, as for that Grandi woman, i would love to have a face to face conversation with her, I take NO BRIBES.

All slaughter houses have to have a vet present to ensure the animals are stun and killed humanely, obviously here they are getting around this with their religious loophole and bribes, and the fact that some of the vets are muslims!!!!!!!(thats one loophole they got out of with out the stupid lefty human rights brigade man seeing it coming)

I do not care what that woman is or what she says, what they are doing is barbaric...no buts about it.

Edited by freetoroam

What about non-mammal fish, shrimp, etc... netted or captured, brought out of the water, suffocate, and eventually becomes someone's meal?

Is that inhumane?

Yep, thats also inhumane. Anything which goes through a slow death is inhumane. But nature can be very cruel, and all animals have to live, when you see the way some of the wild life catch their prey, its pretty awful, death by nature can be much worse.....it does not help though when the top of the food chain who should know better, are making it even worse because of a religion....there is no need for slaughtering today, most humans have evolved from that barbaric ritual....yes, its a ritual, NOT just another part of natures ways.

Is that inhumane?

Do you need to consume "seafood" in order to survive? If not, then killing them is unnecessary, and therefore by definition, cruel.

The horse meat is wrong because they were lying about it by saying it was beef.

also it's not safe because it's got tranqulisers in it.

Also there's pork been found in halal meat.

Who are the muppets they've got working for them?

The horse meat is wrong because they were lying about it by saying it was beef.

also it's not safe because it's got tranqulisers in it.

Also there's pork been found in halal meat.

Who are the muppets they've got working for them?

The horse meat sold in countries like France, do not have tranquilisers in, only horses which were not bred to go on a supermarket shelves have tranquilisers.

.Also the disgrace is not finding pork in halal meats, the disgrace is halal.

But ofcourse it is wrong to sell something other than what has been described, strict laws were put in place to stop that.

I also have heard the horse meat is from Poland....I would like to know if the people who were buying it and putting it in other meats will now get severely prosecuted and never allowed to trade again as opposed to a fine.

Just to confirm, the meat was imported from Poland to Ireland, then mixed and sent to England, probably as Irish beef. These horse meat have traveled a bit before it hit the plates.

Maybe we will get an explanation from Poland now???? will not be holding breathe. Wonder how many other countries have been buying their "beef" from Poland?