Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Horse meat could still be on sale in Britain

Still Waters

The cow meat turns out to be horse meat which is possibly donkey meat. Man, they've better not been serving unicorns. NKorea is gonna be really upset then.

I do not care what they put in there, (within reason) as long as the package is labeled correctly so we can decide whether to buy it or not.

Apologies for this but I find this Update on the Horse-Meat Scandal amusing and have to share.....

"A senior scientist has told Sky News that lamb products may also contain horsemeat and need to be tested.

Dr Mark Woolfe, formerly of the Food Standards Agency, said retailers should immediately test everything from lamb ready meals to doner kebabs for horse DNA to ensure their products are clear.

He warned the same pressures to find cheap sources of beef make it impossible to "verify" the lamb supply chain."

Source:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/scientist-lamb-meals-may-contain-horsemeat-135440587.html#r4SdWN8

Coincidence that it's a wolf who's concerned about the lamb supply chain? I think not!

• Like 3

I dont understand all the outrage that we may have been unknowingly eating horse meat for months on end. Or are horses somehow more important than other animals that we'll quite happily slaughter and eat?

I dont understand all the outrage that we may have been unknowingly eating horse meat for months on end. Or are horses somehow more important than other animals that we'll quite happily slaughter and eat?

May I respectfully draw your attention to post #4 of this thread?

The cow meat turns out to be horse meat which is possibly donkey meat. Man, they've better not been serving unicorns. NKorea is gonna be really upset then.

EE35D2CD-F846-470B-9296-CB63229D14D1-11017-00000D1B0DB3669A.jpg

MY FATHER'S UNICORN?! THIS IS THE REASON FOR THE NUKE TESTS.

So you are ok about buying things which are not actually what it says on the packet. I personally would like to be given the choice to buy it or not by knowing exactly what is in it.

I have a nice box with a 24 carat gold Rolex watch signed by the Queen in it , you can have it for only 200GBP.

Edited by freetoroam

In fact, the British are almost unique in Europe for their silly aversion to eating horsemeat. We have no problem eating cows and sheep and chickens but, for some silly reason, we seem to be horrified at the prospect of eating horse.

I have to chime in here. As a Briton I have always been extremely proud that eating animals such as horses is, quite rightly in my opinion, looked upon with disgust.

It is a cultural thing, and for once, just like we're told we must do for every other culture and group on this planet, I'd hope it would be respected. In some countries people eat dogs and cats and think nothing of it, but to me that's one step away from eating a human, I'm not saying that for dramatic effect, it is how I feel. I recently lost my family cat ,who I had grown up with since I was four years old, I am now twenty, to cancer. I did not see her as a cat, nor as a pet, she was my childhood friend and I loved her as a family member, I have been a wreck since it happened and it's hard to type about, let alone talk, but the point is that, while some cultures would see her as food, to me I saw her as one of the bestfriends I've ever had, and now I've lost her, which goes to show how different cultures can be in these regards.

Horses, like dogs and cats, are seen in Britain as animals you do not eat, full stop, at least to a good deal of people, and many simply do not look at them in the same way we would with a cow or a pig, and yes, I know that pigs are extremely intelligent animals, but there we go, I suppose had pigs been used as mounts and friends to people for centuries and centuries then they might be seen in the same way.

British culture seems to be constantly being eroded, but can we please not let this aspect of it change, I think it would be a sad day for this island when eating horses is no longer looked at with disgust. I'm sure I could make a list of aspects and views of other cultures that I find 'silly', but I don't want to change those cultures, and I'd hope no one wants to change mine.

Edited by TheSpoonyOne
  • Like 3

Bit of an update to your meals:

New figures released by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) show that eight horses slaughtered in the UK between January 30 and February 7 tested positive for the veterinary painkiller bute.

But FSA tests on Findus processed beef products withdrawn from sale in the UK after the discovery of traces of horsemeat found no evidence of the drug

They had already been exported to France and may have entered the food chain. Authorities are urgently trying to trace the meat.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/findus-foods-test-negative-horse-drug-105736191.html#xsV6sUH

Come on England, we have just spent all this time moaning about the meat coming in here from other countries and yet its our farmers who are doing the baddie! we have drugs in our meat!!

Now I am not even going to buy British mince meat anymore till this whole shabbam gets sorted.

ps: unimportant news but will still mention it, it seems pork has been found in halal meat. Suppose this will teach them not to give us halal without telling us in future.

Has anyone else noticed that the word 'lasagne' is an anagram of 'nag sale'? (just a thought!)

ps: unimportant news but will still mention it, it seems pork has been found in halal meat. Suppose this will teach them not to give us halal without telling us in future.

The cruel, disgusting practices of Ḏabīḥah and Shehitah without prior electrical stunning and the sale of halal and kosher products should be completely banned as a matter of course!

• Like 3

Has anyone else noticed that the word 'lasagne' is an anagram of 'nag sale'? (just a thought!)

well spotted!!! my husband is putting that on twitter.....have you patented that? :cry:

• Like 1

Horses, like dogs and cats, are seen in Britain as animals you do not eat, full stop, at least to a good deal of people, and many simply do not look at them in the same way we would with a cow or a pig, and yes, I know that pigs are extremely intelligent animals, but there we go, I suppose had pigs been used as mounts and friends to people for centuries and centuries then they might be seen in the same way.

So the criteria in deciding whether to kill and eat some particular animal is whether you can ride or befriend it? Have I got that right?

I think this roadside sign in Flint, Michigan as shown in the documentary Roger and me, is a good summary of the complete arbitrary nature of animal flesh consumption.

pets-or-meat-the-return-to-flint.jpg?1313558450

well spotted!!! my husband is putting that on twitter.....have you patented that? :cry:

Yess, that'll be £75 per usage, please.

Yess, that'll be £75 per usage, please.

fancy a deal, i stop sending you emails for virgin Polish brides want to come to UK (only 4 children) and you wave the fee.

Edited by freetoroam

Looks like people don't mind much what they eat so long as they don't know what it is.

I do mind.

snooty.png

Mind you, if I was starving I would eat a beetle as long as its not halal.

• Like 1

fancy a deal, i stop sending you emails for virgin Polish brides want to come to UK (only 4 children) and you wave the fee.

Oh so that was you was it? I'm still waiting on the delivery of my first order!

• Like 1

Oh so that was you was it? I'm still waiting on the delivery of my first order!

She is on her way, just once she has given birth to baba no5.

• Like 1

Looks like people don't mind much what they eat so long as they don't know what it is.

I prefer not to have horse, cat or dog on my menu. Other than that I've tried alligator, rattlesnake, ostrich, bear, rabbit, deer, elk, squirrel, escargot, bison and a few other things. I have my limits.

• Like 1

She is on her way, just once she has given birth to baba no5.

OK, providing liczba dziecko pięć is included in the original price.

s7158.gifs7158.gif

s7158.gifs7158.gifs7158.gif

• Like 1

I prefer not to have horse, cat or dog on my menu. Other than that I've tried alligator, rattlesnake, ostrich, bear, rabbit, deer, elk, squirrel, escargot, bison and a few other things. I have my limits.

rattlesnake? I will not eat that but will send you one for thanks giving. he is called "just try it buster". :innocent:

• Like 2

There are things you could never get me to eat -- durian for example, and I'm not much for the lardy stuff they call Shanghai cuisine.

I've never eaten horse meat. Ever since cavalry became obsolete there haven't been many horses around. Ever tried water buffalo?

One thing the Americans have that you can't find in Vietnam is what we call "Western Chicken," but Americans call "Turkey." (I wonder what the Turks think of that). It is delicious stuff but I just can't find it here.

I try to avoid things like pork and cat and dog and rat since they are either carnivores or omnivores, and therefore unhealthy. Those who think they are a delicacy have their noses out of joint. Its a big con like "fine wine" from Dalat.

• Like 1

OK, providing liczba dziecko pięć is included in the original price.

s7158.gifs7158.gif

s7158.gifs7158.gifs7158.gif

Ale może wzrosnąć, jeśli nie wyjdziesz za mnie szybko.

• Like 1

Cobra is a delicacy in Cambodia. Whenever I visit the locals have a hunting expedition and find one for me. I pretend to be delighted, but actually it tastes just like chicken.

I dread to think just what I've eaten in my years of globe-trotting, but I'm still here so perhaps my grandfather's old saying ..."What won't fatten will fill" is about right.

• Like 1