Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Horse meat could still be on sale in Britain

Still Waters

I prefer not to have horse, cat or dog on my menu. Other than that I've tried alligator, rattlesnake, ostrich, bear, rabbit, deer, elk, squirrel, escargot, bison and a few other things. I have my limits.

May I ask what your criteria are for these limitations?

There are things you could never get me to eat -- durian for example, and I'm not much for the lardy stuff they call Shanghai cuisine.

I love durians. I wish I could buy them here. they have the added bonus of keeping people away too!

Ale może wzrosnąć, jeśli nie wyjdziesz za mnie szybko.

Potem będzie kłaść to praca w unieruchomionym

Stoppit, stoppit!!!! My Polish is terrible!!!!

There are things you could never get me to eat -- durian for example, and I'm not much for the lardy stuff they call Shanghai cuisine.

I've never eaten horse meat. Ever since cavalry became obsolete there haven't been many horses around. Ever tried water buffalo?

One thing the Americans have that you can't find in Vietnam is what we call "Western Chicken," but Americans call "Turkey." (I wonder what the Turks think of that). It is delicious stuff but I just can't find it here.

I try to avoid things like pork and cat and dog and rat since they are either carnivores or omnivores, and therefore unhealthy. Those who think they are a delicacy have their noses out of joint. Its a big con like "fine wine" from Dalat.

I would try durian, I think...but I haven't smelled one yet so I'm not sure. :P Never had water buffalo or rat, but would give it a shot. Rattlesnake tastes like chicken too. If I hadn't cleaned it and cooked it I would have probably been a little more open to eating it. As it was, it was a little difficult for me to get over the ick factor.

May I ask what your criteria are for these limitations?

Besides the three I mentioned, it would probably be how rude it would be to turn up my nose at a meal someone went to the trouble to cook for me.

I would try durian, I think...but I haven't smelled one yet so I'm not sure. :P

Close your eyes and try to imagine the outcome of throwing a grenade into a cesspool and then falling backwards into an old farmyard slurry pit. You ain't even close!

• Like 2

Close your eyes and try to imagine the outcome of throwing a grenade into a cesspool and then falling backwards into an old farmyard slurry pit. You ain't even close!

:w00t: I might have to pass on that!

• Like 1

:w00t: I might have to pass on that!

No sense of adventure, you young'uns!

• Like 1

No sense of adventure, you young'uns!

Since I would probably have it on a vacation it would depend on how much I had to drink that day or the night before. :innocent:

I have never heard of durian before so looked it up and found this bit:

Commercial Mon Thong durians are the most digestion-friendly sub-species. By this, I don't mean that in general, durians would be hard to digest. No stomach cramps and no excessive winds as with cabbage, and no discharge pain as with chilies. But with non-Mon Thong durians, there will be burping, and burps do smell like the durian fruit... socially not acceptable even in counties where durians are grown. Mon Thong is clearly the mildest kind of durian fruit. (But even in Thailand, durians are usually banned in offices and hospitals.)

So not ideal for a valentines meal then?

• Like 1

So not ideal for a valentines meal then?

Not unless you both eat it. :unsure2:

• Like 2

I've just had an update from Northwest Tonight....

Apparently the Peter Boddy abattoir in Todmorden has a got a contract for five years with Aintree raincourse.

This abbatoir is taking care of any horses that get killed at the Grand National meeting.

The Food Standards Agency was taking a particular interest in this because of an employee being fired.

Even though we are back to square one there was no evidence of any wrongdoing.

It means that none of the horsemeat we've seen recently has nothing to do with it.

So the Continential European theory is still looking good.

I doubt anybody would have known about this if it wasn't for me.

Even though it was a mountain in a molehill it just goes to show how angry some people are.

I'll get back to my book now while you chew the fat over this.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that the word 'lasagne' is an anagram of 'nag sale'? (just a thought!)

The cruel, disgusting practices of Ḏabīḥah and Shehitah without prior electrical stunning and the sale of halal and kosher products should be completely banned as a matter of course!

Seldom mentioned, but very true Ealdwita!

• Like 1

Besides the three I mentioned, it would probably be how rude it would be to turn up my nose at a meal someone went to the trouble to cook for me.

Yes, I understand that you would not eat horse, cat or dog, but what criteria do you use to separate animals that you would eat and those you wouldn't? Thanks.

I've just had an update from Northwest Tonight....

Apparently the Peter Boddy abattoir in Todmorden has a got a contract for five years with Aintree raincourse.

This abbatoir is taking care of any horses that get killed at the Grand National meeting.

The Food Standards Agency was taking a particular interest in this because of an employee being fired.

Even though we are back to square one there was no evidence of any wrongdoing.

It means that none of the horsemeat we've seen recently has nothing to do with it.

So the Continential European theory is still looking good.

I doubt anybody would have known about this if it wasn't for me.

Even though it was a mountain in a molehill it just goes to show how angry some people are.

I'll get back to my book now while you chew the fat over this.

OMG, I wish I had mentioned this too, my husband was talking about this earlier today about the racecourse and their deal with the abattoir.

Unfortunately the bold bit is not so looking so good, because it has been proven that horsemeat from England has got drugs in, please see the earlier update post.

http://uk.news.yahoo...91.html#xsV6sUH

Edited by freetoroam

OMG, I wish I had mentioned this too, my husband was talking about this earlier today about the racecourse and their deal with the abattoir.

Unfortunately the bold bit is not so looking so good, because it has been proven that horsemeat from England has got drugs in, please see the earlier update post.

http://uk.news.yahoo...91.html#xsV6sUH

Who's to say the same deal isn't happening in the Todmorden abattoir.

Gee. This is getting more insidious by the minute.

It's the only thing everybody talks about in the UK apart from Gazza's stay in rehab.

I can't believe my local presenters would lie by omission though.

Who's to say the same deal isn't happening in the Todmorden abattoir.

Gee. This is getting more insidious by the minute.

It's the only thing everybody talks about in the UK apart from Gazza's stay in rehab.

I can't believe my local presenters would lie by omission though.

We do not know who to believe. My mum lives in France, they are now blaming the English for selling them drugged horse meat, this could all get quite tricky.

I hope not they test all the British minced beef on our shelves, forget findus, we have our own problems.

Gazza is always in rehab, the Sun said he was dying earlier, Gazza says he knows nothing about that. :whistle:

I could care less... the only thing that annoys me is that if a label says 100% beef then that is what it must be.

This horse meat that has got into the food chain appears not to have any provenance (animal passport) that assures that it does not contain prohibited chemicals, has been sourced responsibly, sustainably, and produced in as humanely a way as possible (I know that is almost an oxymoron) and traceable.

I have no problem with eating horsemeat, goodness only knows that I have eaten enough Italian Salami from horseflesh, and it is some of the finest protein available.

Yes, I understand that you would not eat horse, cat or dog, but what criteria do you use to separate animals that you would eat and those you wouldn't? Thanks.

I don't have any particular criteria besides how I personally feel. I wouldn't have tried things in my teens that I did later in life. My opinion and sense of adventure have changed over the years. It's possible circumstances will differ in the future where I will have a completely different outlook. When the economy tanked I heard about the plight of people who couldn't afford to feed their horses and nobody would buy them. I think it would be better if those horses were used for food instead of letting them starve to death. Things change.

We do not know who to believe. My mum lives in France, they are now blaming the English for selling them drugged horse meat, this could all get quite tricky.

I hope not they test all the British minced beef on our shelves, forget findus, we have our own problems.

No change there then... they covered up their own BSE Infection in France and allowed meat from infected French carcasses to enter the food chain whilst banning UK Beef products.

All part of the Political game I guess

• Like 1

Chinese chicken legs (alias Rat), sold in a take-away in Brum last year, Dont know whether they were Peking or Hong Kong variety.

No change there then... they covered up their own BSE Infection in France and allowed meat from infected French carcasses to enter the food chain whilst banning UK Beef products.

All part of the Political game I guess

Yep, and we still bought their meat!

Considering most of our companies are getting better deals from abroad, they do not give a damn about whats in it if it boosts their profits. But they do suddenly "care" when they get caught.

• Like 2

Chinese chicken legs (alias Rat), sold in a take-away in Brum last year, Dont know whether they were Peking or Hong Kong variety.

The fast food "chicken" chains has been at it for years. Someone should have told these Turkish and Asian owners that we do not eat rat here!!!

before someone jumps on that....were I lived every single privately owned fast food chicken shop were owned by the Turkish and Asian people, and we had a rat fest surge there a few years back.

The fast food "chicken" chains has been at it for years. Someone should have told these Turkish and Asian owners that we do not eat rat here!!!

before someone jumps on that....were I lived every single privately owned fast food chicken shop were owned by the Turkish and Asian people, and we had a rat fest surge there a few years back.

Did the Rats have Pet Passports ? OK, NO is the answer. I get really annoyed when I think that I am buying Chicken, but get Rat. I want to know that the protein I eat is safe.

• Like 1

Oh .. look!! It appears that a French Abbatoir is culpable: A French minister says the French meat wholesaler Spanghero is to blame for fraudulently labeling horsemeat as beef.

source: http://news.yahoo.co...7--finance.html

Oh FCOL!!! the French are blaming the English, the English are blaming the French, The Cypriot guy hasn`t even been mentioned yet.....the one who is also involved in this whole fiasco....and us???? what have we got to eat while the beef/horse is under investigation? rats!