Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran unveils 'stealth' fighter

Space Commander Travis

Looking at the pictures I can tell you the iranians havnt quite cracked stealth yet, although given their lack of experiance what they have produced is amazing.

although I believe they had foreign help, only 3 other countrys have succesfull stealth jet programs iran now being number 4.

It is impressive considering its a third world nation.

The canopy isnt stealh and the inside of the cockpit isnt stealth (yes radar bounces in and out of the cockpit). This looks to me like another nations work.

It is impressive considering its a third world nation.

The canopy isnt stealh and the inside of the cockpit isnt stealth (yes radar bounces in and out of the cockpit). This looks to me like another nations work.

I tend to agree with everyone else though I'm no expert. It looks fake.

I am pretty much an expert, it is 100% fake and not a good fake at that. It is designed to impress the camel herderrs in the hinterland.

Edited by Merc14

If you have a look at the pictures I am wondering if that is even a hangar it is in.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/iran_qaher_fighter_jet_AIz1r72znTXwMeJ67TLWDP

It appears to have boarded up windows all around and the roof is very low. I am not sure it could even get out of the building let alone into the sky. The floor looks wooden and not concrete like you would expect to find in a hangar.

Reminds me of the Drone in the Gymnasium.

I think a lot of propaganda is out there trying to undermine the Iranian achievement.

A stealth fighter is mostly made from composite materials not metal. Often, and I better not get in trouble for revealing this, we are talking carbonised woodchips mixed with a special resin glue. Fibre glass is a very strong material and can also be made radar absorbing. Fibre glass is strong enough to make fighter-jets from. Finally so called 'stealth paint' is the stuff they used to coat video tape with allowing you to record music and films onto cassette slighty tweaked so it records the microwave frequencies of electro-magnetic radiation instead.

There are no rivots because stealth planes are either glued together or have a classified type of rivot which doesnt return a radar profile. The angles on the Iranian fighter jyet are correctly designed to reflect away incoming radar waves instead of bouncing them back.

Everything on Irans fighter jet looks correct but the canopy is clear glass and the inside of the cockpit and pilots flying outfit isnt stealth. They need to be because radar waves enter the cockpit and can return a profile. I would rate it as an effective low altitude attack plane. Ground units or ground radar wouldnt pick it up but a Nimrod or aircraft with radar would due to its cockpit issues.

I would just like to point out the size difference between a real stealth fighter and the thing built by Iran

Notice how the camera perspective of the Iran stealth fighter has the plane significantly closer to the camera then the people making the plane look bigger.

Lastly I would like to point out who the cockpit size is way to small, I have never seen a military plane where the pilots legs where higher then the side borders of a cockpit.

Edited by DarkHunter

Anyone got their Matrix glasses on?

• Like 1

I think a lot of propaganda is out there trying to undermine the Iranian achievement.

A stealth fighter is mostly made from composite materials not metal. Often, and I better not get in trouble for revealing this, we are talking carbonised woodchips mixed with a special resin glue. Fibre glass is a very strong material and can also be made radar absorbing. Fibre glass is strong enough to make fighter-jets from. Finally so called 'stealth paint' is the stuff they used to coat video tape with allowing you to record music and films onto cassette slighty tweaked so it records the microwave frequencies of electro-magnetic radiation instead.

There are no rivots because stealth planes are either glued together or have a classified type of rivot which doesnt return a radar profile. The angles on the Iranian fighter jyet are correctly designed to reflect away incoming radar waves instead of bouncing them back.

Everything on Irans fighter jet looks correct but the canopy is clear glass and the inside of the cockpit and pilots flying outfit isnt stealth. They need to be because radar waves enter the cockpit and can return a profile. I would rate it as an effective low altitude attack plane. Ground units or ground radar wouldnt pick it up but a Nimrod or aircraft with radar would due to its cockpit issues.

You may be right.

It does look awfully small which is an advantage in some respects as it would already have a small radar signature so by the time you add the stealth materials and shape you are trying to disguise something taht wouldn't have had much in the first place.

Stealth doesn't mean totally invisible, even the SR71 gave off a radar signature however it was only about a 5th of the size.

If it is real it's major drawback from the start will be pay load. It doesn't look like it has much room for an internal weapons bay. No hard points on the wings either unlike the F35 which can carry wing mounted weapons in a non-stealth interceptor or attack role.

Thing is aircraft only maintain stealth when they are giving out a very minimum exhaust signature or they are picked up on infra red etc. A stealth fighter on afterburner is no longer stealth, not even the mighty F22 is that good. If it is real I can't really see any advantage as a defensive interceptor (which need to be very fast) as it would give up its stealth catching up to target. The idea of a stealth is not to be invisible all the time but up a till you strike then power away to relative safety and gradually return to near invisibility.

Being it's size I doubt it has the payload or range to be effective strike aircraft. I am not sure what capability the Iranians have for in-flight refuelling but there is no visible flap on door a boom could come out of.

If it is functional it is most probably a prototype that they will further develop. All seems odd as they have spent an utter fortune and years upgrading their F14's but the end results have impressed the Americans very as they labeled the plane years ago as an expensive failure. Shows they do have some good aircraft designers.

Edited by skookum

What accomplishment? Building a fiberglass scale model of a made-up aircraft, and it's not even a good model, is no accomplishment for a country.

A stealth fighter is mostly made from composite materials not metal. Often, and I better not get in trouble for revealing this, we are talking carbonised woodchips mixed with a special resin glue.

You won't get into trouble because that is not what carbon fiber is made of.

Fibre glass is a very strong material and can also be made radar absorbing. Fibre glass is strong enough to make fighter-jets from. Finally so called 'stealth paint' is the stuff they used to coat video tape with allowing you to record music and films onto cassette slighty tweaked so it records the microwave frequencies of electro-magnetic radiation instead.

Fiberglass is not nearly strong enough to make a modern tactical aicraft, nor would it hold up to the rigors of flight.

All aircraft are comprosed of solid panels and removable panels as well as doors and and other entrances to allow access to different computers, engines and service ports. These panels are generally held on by panel fasteners like calfax fittings. Apparently Iran's ne "fighter" doesn't need servicing ir even fuel as there are no panles or service ports.

The canopy looks to be plain old 1/4" or 1/2" plexiglass, the landing gear looks non-movable, the cockpit looks completely nonfunctional and he instruments were glued on. The fiberglass body is clearlty visible and laughably crude and there is no engine in the thing, the seat looks like it was designed for a 12 year old and the poor idiot posing as a pilot can barely get his legs into the cockpit, This "aircraft" is nothing more than a fiberglass mock-up built in 2/3rd scale. It is completely nonfunctional. The flight demo was a small radio controlled model. To top it all off, all the warning markings are in english! LMAO.

I am not sure who they were trying to fool here but if it was the west then the Iranians government is even dopier than i previously thought.

• Like 1

Seems like the pictures didn't work in my last post, I really got to figure out how to post pictures correctly one day.

Whatever that thing is that the Iran has built, it is far to small to be real. The pictures posted, if they would be view able show how much smaller that thing is compared to the F-22, arguably a plane that should be of similar size.

In the third picture, all of these picture can be found on google, with the pilot sitting in the cockpit, his legs are over the border of the canopy. I have never see a fighter where the canopy is so small you can see the pilots legs while they are sitting down.

Seems like the pictures didn't work in my last post, I really got to figure out how to post pictures correctly one day.

Whatever that thing is that the Iran has built, it is far to small to be real. The pictures posted, if they would be view able show how much smaller that thing is compared to the F-22, arguably a plane that should be of similar size.

In the third picture, all of these picture can be found on google, with the pilot sitting in the cockpit, his legs are over the border of the canopy. I have never see a fighter where the canopy is so small you can see the pilots legs while they are sitting down.

It really is ridiculous. I would guess they are trying to impress the masses by showing how powerful they are militarily. At least I hope so because if they thought that would fool people in the west then I truly am clueless about how their minds work. As far as I know they are completely incapable of building a modern aircraft of any kind, much less an advanced tactical type. I know they still have a few Tomcats that can fly but have no idea if they can still arm them. When I was training I actually flew in some of the Tomcats that were supposed to go to teh shah but were held back after the revolution.

Ground units or ground radar wouldnt pick it up but a Nimrod or aircraft with radar would due to its cockpit issues.

Sadly, it wouldn't, since there aren't any more, thanks to the idiot Cameroon.

It really is ridiculous. I would guess they are trying to impress the masses by showing how powerful they are militarily. At least I hope so because if they thought that would fool people in the west then I truly am clueless about how their minds work. As far as I know they are completely incapable of building a modern aircraft of any kind, much less an advanced tactical type. I know they still have a few Tomcats that can fly but have no idea if they can still arm them. When I was training I actually flew in some of the Tomcats that were supposed to go to teh shah but were held back after the revolution.

according to Wiki the Pedia, they may have as many as 30 Tomcats still flying.

Here's the updated entry on the Dominant 313; some of the comments on "Doubts of viability of aircraft" are interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qaher_313

• Like 1

it's rarely the people that will be uniformly evil, it's almost invariably the Leaders that stir them up, supply with with a constant diet of fear of enemies so as to stir up paranoia, and persuade them that only they can protect them from those whose sole desire it is to destroy them.

Irans mullahs are not necessary personally "evil" either; the supremacist political religion that they embrace is.

By definition, every country that makes the Koran its constitution and Shariah its law turns into another backward and belligerent hellhole like Iran.

Ironically, the West seems to have a kind of death wish to create ever more of these. Remember it was Jimmy Carter who boycotted the Shah and helped Khomeini ("the holy man") take power.

• Like 2

according to Wiki the Pedia, they may have as many as 30 Tomcats still flying.

the wingboxes alone are long overdue for overhaul, and usa ain't about to sell the spares, and no, they can't make them themseves right, there is a lot more involved than just welding and cuting mettal, the exact specs are actually secret, believe it or not.

Apparently the Iranians have now photoshopped the thing into a stock photo that makes it appear it is flying.

http://www.dailytech...rticle29893.htm

I've just seen that photo doing the rounds in the mainstream media and subsequently found this thread.

Well done to the posters here at UM who were on top of it being a fake.

Radar wont detect it,as its made out of plywood and cardboard,Oh dear I hope I havent upset the local Mullah.

• Like 1

Radar wont detect it,as its made out of plywood and cardboard,Oh dear I hope I havent upset the local Mullah.

Well, actually that worked pretty well for the Mosquito ...

• Like 3

Well, actually that worked pretty well for the Mosquito ...

The Mosquito was an AWESOME aircraft! It received far less credit than it was due, IMO. It must have been a joy to fly.
  • Like 1

The Mosquito was an AWESOME aircraft! It received far less credit than it was due, IMO. It must have been a joy to fly.

Glad you posted that. I thought he was talking about wee mosquitos and it hurt my head to imagine them being made of plywood & cardboard.

• Like 1

It incorporates all the attributes of a modern jet fighter on the software, where materials, propulsion, avionics, payload, scale, and 1,000 other requirements are all taken for granted with mouse clicks and keyboard inputs. They can design a stealthy jet on AutoCAD and manufacture a miniature. They threw this basement project that just got catapulted as a premature pre-prototype. It's a hoax more by how it was announced than by what it is. There's a million stages required in the development of a stealth fighter; you don't need titanium alloys to test a model in a wind tunnel. That said, this weapon is entirely political. I think the possibility of Iran indigenously producing stealth fighters before buying hand-me downs from China or Russia is approaching zero.

• Like 1