Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is proof of alien life a risk to society ?

Saru

That makes sense, yes, the Bible is all about Mankind's relationship with God, isn't it- the OT particularly, which is all about the people of Israel's relationship with God specifically.

That the Bible would leave this out were it really from God is just incomprehensible. You can rationalize all you want but if you had an ounce of intellectual honesty you would realize this.

You don't quite have that right; the exapnsion of space-time does not even become noticeable until you are at size ranges considerably beyond the nearer galaxies. The stars and planets in the Milky Way are not getting further apart.

You are quite right. I should have been more clear that expansion doesn't have as much of an affect in a localized area. Speaking on a universal scale though 'in most cases' still holds true.

That the Bible would leave this out were it really from God is just incomprehensible. You can rationalize all you want but if you had an ounce of intellectual honesty you would realize this.

hold on? " if you had an ounce of intellectual honesty you would realize this"? So I do not have intellectual honesty now, as well as everything else? :(

There would be absolutely no reason to talk about beings on other planets in the bible, and besides the fact that space is so incredibly huge that running into an entity from another planet is a extremely low chance strictly because of the distance issue.

The Bible is "The Word of God," and it doesn't even mention these things? It is beyond me that you can't see the absurdity, and I have to conclude that the religion overwhelms good sense and intellectual honesty.

OK :tu:

• Like 1

Why would the fact that there was life on (say) Gliese 539b be relevant in any way to the Israelites and their relationship with God? The Bible doesn't mention anything about the inhabitants of Britain or the Native Americans, because they weren't relevant to the subject.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 1

Im not really a religious person but I dont look down on religion, whatever works for that person is fine with me

• Like 1

Yea that's a bit off where I was aiming. Let me take another shot.

The religions of India all have the concept of deep time -- that the cosmos has been around eons upon eons upon eons (some texts get really carried away here). They also almost all have the concept of world after world after world coming and going. They all tend to suggest that thre was an actual "beginning," too. Interesting how this lines up with modern cosmology, not in a scientifically convincing way but just enough to stimulate the little grey cells. The Bible on the other hand has the four corners of the earth and a few thousand years of time.

I have no desire to get "into it" about the Bible. I find it similar to getting into it with believers in Sasquatch or alien abductions, so I will leave it at that.

Hmmmm

perhaps they don't hide deliberately; maybe they are Extraterrestrial probes, carrying out their business of studying the fauna of the planet (including us), indifferent to whether or not it'd be see as 'rude', since their technology would mean that they were all but uncatchable if the creatures they were studying did take offence. Given the number of UFO sightings, a proportion of which at least do seem to be unexplainable, they don't seem to deliberately set out to hide; I'm sure if they did, there'd never be any UFo sightings at all.

That is very much putting aliens in the default position without qualification so the premise falls down before it starts.

• Like 1

The obvious answer is yes, proof of alien life is a risk to our society. People have been told for centuries that we humans are the only civilization.

Not taking much note of Edgar Mitchell for such a big fan are you? Thought you figured he knew everything there was to know about alien life?

EM: Well, if they proved to be hostile, and wanted to do so, they probably could. But there’s utterly no evidence that they really are hostile.

LINK

Everything would change if alien life is found to exist, which is probably only a matter of time.

No it would not. I would still have to pay my mortgage, meet my deadlines at work, feed the kids, and get them to school. It would be very interesting I grant.

Matter of time? We have not even found a planet with life on it yet. Cart before the horse a bit there I would think.

With the infinite number of possible stars & planets throughout this solar system and universe, thinking we are the only intelligent civilization is indeed ignorant and arrogant.

Nobody thinks we are "it" except perhaps Mr Blueprint. Considering your words of wisdom, it would seems you pay little attention to the forum, but much to woo woo sites.

I have said it in other topics and I'll say it again; I'm not a believer in random coincidence. I don't believe God or whomever you choose to believe in would have created these planets and only have one of them inhabited. Religion would be directly affected by discovery of ET life because of our conditioning to believe in ourselves as God's favorites and only creations. Society as a whole would begin to question our place in the universe and how we govern ourselves. Which is the most likely reason why government covers up knowledge of ETs and UFOs. Those in command do not wish to lose control and will do anything to keep their power. Just my thoughts on it, though as I'm sure there are many who disagree with that sentiment.

The Catholic Church not only accepts ET life, but has one of the better observatories around. They believe "Life" is Gods creation, and the Bible explains life "here".

LINK - Vatican Observatory.

Society is fragmented, and fluid, no two are going to see the news in exactly the same way is it will impact lives in different ways. Mostly we will know for certain we are not alone is all.

There is not Government collusion, you are making that up as you go along. Different people have different levels of power, and some crave more, or a complete re-write of society, these people will not keep a US ET secret as that offers them an advantage and no country is going to sit idly by whilst a super power grows under their very noses. Of course I disagree as I have pointed this out to you before, and you tried to tell me the US has these people in some pocket with ET tech, but you could not tell me why the US does not have this power with regards to any other issue? As such, your clam makes less sense than the faulty premise it is suposed to explain.

As long as you make stuff up on the fly, thinkers will challenge your claims. You have to be able to back your claims, not just insist others take you at face value. To date, much of what you have presented has been very, very wrong. Is that not an indicator that you might want to have another look at this? Or do you wish to exist in belief alone? And if that is the case, good for you, but it is not fact.

Edited by psyche101

I've been pondering what the Vietnamese authorities would do if they had contact with aliens the US was trying to keep secret (oh and thanks for giving me the idea). Frankly I just don't know. Nowadays they don't want to irritate the Americans too much, but at the same time they want to keep them at arm's length. I guess it would depend on the reasons for the secrecy. Fear of public panic would not hold any water with them for the simple reason that that scenario would not happen. Maybe the aliens are rabid anti-Communists, but then why are the Americans keeping it secret? Obvuiously if they are Communists the opposite of that coin would prevail. Maybe the Americans are bribing everyone out their ear, but I don't think that looks doable. Naw -- you are absolutely on target -- a secret like that just simply could not be kept.

I just cannot see another power sitting idly by whilst their direct opposition grows in power. We just don't do things like that. I think the US conspiracy scenario is very full of holes and just cannot work.

About the bible not mentioning life elsewhere in the universe does actually make sense, In my opinion I mean the Bible is about this planet and how it came to be, not other planets. Besides what are the odds that anything would actually land on this planet considering space is expanding, and the planets are getting further away from eachother. Just my Opinion though.

In my opinion you "get it" spot on mate :tu:

Yea that's a bit off where I was aiming. Let me take another shot.

The religions of India all have the concept of deep time -- that the cosmos has been around eons upon eons upon eons (some texts get really carried away here). They also almost all have the concept of world after world after world coming and going. They all tend to suggest that thre was an actual "beginning," too. Interesting how this lines up with modern cosmology, not in a scientifically convincing way but just enough to stimulate the little grey cells. The Bible on the other hand has the four corners of the earth and a few thousand years of time.

I have no desire to get "into it" about the Bible. I find it similar to getting into it with believers in Sasquatch or alien abductions, so I will leave it at that.

I have to admit, some of those calculations were pretty impressive, but man as a whole seemed to be looking at the same problem. in 1638 Galileo tried to measure light, but used instruments that were insufficient for the task at hand, Olaf Roemer waas hot on his tail giving a measurement in 1675, yet about 100 years earlier, Sayana stated something that seems to be very close to this figure in the Rigveda. Whist we globally might have all been thinking about the same thing, it would apear that Sayana was the first to consider the speed of light as a measurable phenomena. The hymn departs information that is very hard to ignore.

• Like 1

I think things would go on almost as they were before the discovery. Differences like shifts in college degrees pursued.

• Like 1

I have to admit, some of those calculations were pretty impressive, but man as a whole seemed to be looking at the same problem. in 1638 Galileo tried to measure light, but used instruments that were insufficient for the task at hand, Olaf Roemer waas hot on his tail giving a measurement in 1675, yet about 100 years earlier, Sayana stated something that seems to be very close to this figure in the Rigveda. Whist we globally might have all been thinking about the same thing, it would apear that Sayana was the first to consider the speed of light as a measurable phenomena. The hymn departs information that is very hard to ignore.

And to this we made our own est: of what time and distance and speed is to do these calculations were to become right ? Remember these are mans mesurments ,and works. What If, Just What If there are other distances,space time ,speeds we no nothing of ? Just throwing that out there ! :tu: justDONTEATUS

• Like 1

Yeah I think it would depend A LOT on whether they were hostile to us, I mean we've all seen the movies with the alien that attack the earth for one reason or another. I always hated most of those types of movies because I assume if an alien race was going to attack earth they wouldn't ***** foot around, and be defeated by a couple of our missiles and tanks

And to this we made our own est: of what time and distance and speed is to do these calculations were to become right ? Remember these are mans mesurments ,and works. What If, Just What If there are other distances,space time ,speeds we no nothing of ? Just throwing that out there ! :tu: justDONTEATUS

Indeed, the wonders of string theory have much to be uncovered, and whilst I feel reassured at the very hard work that has developed out body of knowledge, we are still unable to unify GR and QM. They need to talk to each other before anyone will be happy we have the thing on track I think. We have a good understanding of what is around us ATM, but I think we also understand there is more to this equation yet.

But I think we are going the right way about it all. Too bad if we are not I guess! :w00t:

Yeah I think it would depend A LOT on whether they were hostile to us, I mean we've all seen the movies with the alien that attack the earth for one reason or another. I always hated most of those types of movies because I assume if an alien race was going to attack earth they wouldn't ***** foot around, and be defeated by a couple of our missiles and tanks

And not least of all, Will Smith.

Yeah the real thing IF it happened would be far quicker in my opinion, and I would think that If they were to attack there weapons would be much more advanced then our missles and junk. You see I would go to alien invasion movies and be p***ed off that the alien LOSES everytime. I know this is off the topic of the discussion so Im sorry. :whistle:

• Like 1

I believe that people deserve the right to know, even if they want to remain in their ignorance.

People will find out sooner or later and we would really look stupid as a species if we don't take the news well.

I believe that people deserve the right to know, even if they want to remain in their ignorance.

People will find out sooner or later and we would really look stupid as a species if we don't take the news well.

I beg your pardon?

There is a high chance that a lot of people wouldnt take the news well though