Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Children and public places

willowdreams

I went to H&R block to do my taxes today, it is busy there this time of year, and when I went in, sure enough the receptionist said there may be an hour to hour and a half wait. If I like I could put my name down and 'be in line', and then go elsewhere, and she will call me when there is only one person before me

Well, I declined, said i would stay (brought book and all, i already knew there could be a longish wait)... and sat down, she and i chatted a bit... then more pple came in, some stayed some put name down and waited for call.. this is fine..

but a few came in with their YOUNG kids, and chose to wait. They did not bring books, toys or even food/drink, though the tax place did give free water and free coffee.

The kids were todlers, and not happy.. running round, screaming, then crying and throwing fits when mommy or daddy told them to stay still.. I was not upset with the kids, but the parents.. if you do not have supplies for the children, then WHY put them and EVERYONE ELSE.. through all this?

One parent gave me nasty look when i coughed, I explained to her I have nothing catching, and she was like 'how do you know', and I said.. I know because I am under doctors care, and I promise you, what is wrong with me is NOT catching.

Later I heard her 'loudly' whispering to the dad to 'keep the kids away from her, she is probably contagious', at this point my daughter is fed up, her kids are having melt downs right and left, the owman is snotty to the receptionist because of the long wait.. and she said 'look, my mom has been in the hospital with congestional heart failure, and though she is out of danger, she still has some fluid in lungs and the coughing that comes with congestional heart failure, so back off'.

At this point, the lady who is doing my taxes comes out and is like 'Joan! I am ready for you, so sorry you had to wait over an hour'.. the mother there is like 'we have kids here who are tired and we need our taxes done as soon as possible', the woman looks at her and is like 'did you have an appointment?' and the mother says 'no, we are walk ins', and she said 'well joan had an appntment and has been nice enough during this time to wait without any problems, though it is an hour past her appntment with me, i will see you in the order you signed in on'

then she walked me to her cubical to do taxes.

when i left 30 min later the mom and dad and their kids were still in line waiting...

why do parents do this? when my kids were small, I never ever took them to places like that where it is obvious children at not needed.. i got a babysitter or had family watch them, the one time i didnt have anyone, i brought toys, snacks and such, to keep them occupied and never ever ever ever did i try to use them as a tool to get ahead of everyone else.

what is it with parents and why do they put their children through this? It cannot be fun for them.

Or is it as I am getting older *I* have less tolerance for things..

• Like 1

why do parents do this?

The really cynical part of me says "they do it in order to get peferential treatment", you'll notice the parent kicked up a stink when the accountant showed up...

• Like 1

Maybe they have no one to watch the kids?....

Although, one could have stayed home, and the other came in to do taxes.

Maybe they have no one to watch the kids?....

Although, one could have stayed home, and the other came in to do taxes.

if no one can be home with the kids, then you take supplies. i mean.. heck when my kids were that age, i never left the house without water/juice/milk AND cherrios! Not to mention some books, pencil and crayons..

• Like 2

The really cynical part of me says "they do it in order to get peferential treatment", you'll notice the parent kicked up a stink when the accountant showed up...

This probably explains why teens today expect things to be 'given' to them all the time... if they kick up enough tantrums.. they get special treatment.. though with my kids and with me when i was a kid...

'if you do not stop that crying, i will talk to your ass and gve you a reason to cry!'

heh.. i guess parents do not do this any more.

You're right to say parents of small kids should have something with them to keep the kids occupied, but it's also obvious these days that so many children can't seem to sit quietly on their parent's lap and just watch the world go by or get lost in their own thoughts/imagination ....... I think that's very sad. The parents are impatient all the time and the kids are the same.

First of all, they should have made an appointment, especially when it comes to tax time & dragging kids along. So, since they didn't have an appointment, then one of them should have sat in the car with the kids while the other waited inside to be called. However, you are correct in stating that they should of had some type of provisions for the kids--anything to keep their mouth and hands busy.

It always pays to make an appointment first and not take it for granted that just because you walked in at a certain time, that you're entitled to be seen next...oh no, and hopefully they learn from this incident.

You should have coughed it up more and exclaimed out loud "OMG, this Flu will never go away!!!!" .... and then run quick for the bathroom as you are holding your butt. Think of it as an opportunity to practice your acting skills. lol

(I am a mother btw lol)

Edited by Pssst
  • Like 2

snip...

Okay...don't hold back...I know you want to...go for it.... :sk

:P

I hate parents who let their sniveling bad-mannered mutant children act like sniveling bad-mannered mutant children in public places and never stop them from what they're doing, or at the very least, apologize for their actions (this usually happens in Walmart--hard to believe, right?). I really don't get mad at the kids, it's the people who can't control the kids, or pass on good values to them that I have the problem with. As for using your children to get ahead of people, I'm not shocked by this behavior, at least living in America. These parents are the same people who don't say "thank you" after you hold a door for them and act as if it's your occupation to do so. They are the same people who can't count past ten and have more than ten items on the "ten items or less" express line at your local grocery store (insert any town, any state, USA). They are the same person who wont accelerate when the traffic light turns green because they're too busy texting their "BFF". This is what it's finally come to. This is who we are. Instead of moving forward, we are moving backward. I hate to say it, but get used to experiences like the one you had at H&R Block. The asshole population is only going to increase.

• Like 1

I vote we are all getting too old but I will never be old enough to forget that kids are kids.

You can take all the snacks they want and toys! It won't mean they are going to behave as disciplined adults as you would like because they are not disciplined adults, you are.

Them using their kids as an excuse is very shysty of them. That I do not approve.

But as long as their children are not bumping into me and invading my personal space they can be kids all they want which includes running around in safe and open spaces or even tiny corners and making noise. Expecting them to act any different is unreasonable.

I applaud them going together as a couple to get their taxes done. Babysitters and toys might be too expensive for them.

Next time take headphones!

I want to add that in general there is a certain percentage of people out there who believe in proper public social conduct ... of themselves and expecting it of their spouse and children. They see it as a true reflection of themselves and genuinely don't like to be inconsiderate of others. I happen to be one of them, so please be careful with the labels. When my kids were young, bored and beginning to act up I would remove them from the situation, in your case by simply taking them outside. There are easy ways to resolve the boredom of toddlers, which is why mine knew how to identify any vehicle by their symbol. lol I'm the type that doesn't want to ruin anyone else's experience, dinner or what have you b/c my kids were misbehaving.

• Like 2