Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Historically, polyandry was much more common

Big Bad Voodoo

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/02/when-taking-multiple-husbands-makes-sense/272726/

For generations, anthropologists have told their students a fairly simple story about polyandry -- the socially recognized mating of one woman to two or more males. The story has gone like this:

While we can find a cluster of roughly two dozen societies on the Tibetan plateau in which polyandry exists as a recognized form of mating, those societies count as anomalous within humankind. And because polyandry doesn't exist in most of the world, if you could jump into a time machine and head back thousands of years, you probably wouldn't find polyandry in our evolutionary history.

http://www.unl.edu/rhames/Starkweather-Hames-Polyandry-published.pdf

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Bad Voodoo

• Frank Merton

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I know UM girls will love this.

Anthropology is some much fun yet is one of the most low payed college degrees.

Also I know that Liburnians (Illyrian culture which have boats and sailed trough Adriatic sea, have had colonies in today Italy and they were orginally placed in todays Croatia, built cities etc.) were matriarch society. That their woman were also free to sleep with who ever they wanted. One interesting thing is that Liburnians burried their dead in fetus position.

Edited by the L

I know UM girls will love this.

Anthropology is some much fun yet is one of the most low payed college degrees.

Also I know that Liburnians (Illyrian culture which have boats and sailed trough Adriatic sea, have had colonies in today Italy and they were orginally placed in todays Croatia, built cities etc.) were matriarch society. That their woman were also free to sleep with who ever they wanted. One interesting thing is that Liburnians burried their dead in fetus position.

Question: How do you get the anthropologist off your front porch? Answer: Pay for the pizza.

I think the Celts and the Spartans and the Etruscans are all referred to in ancient literature as allowing women a great deal of sexual freedom.

I think the Celts and the Spartans and the Etruscans are all referred to in ancient literature as allowing women a great deal of sexual freedom.

I never heard that either Etruscans or Spartans or Celts allow their *spam filter*freedom.

Edited by the L

In fact I think Etruscans influenced a lot Romans and we know who established familia and patriarch society for the eternity.

LegionRomaineAsterix.jpg

Edited by the L