Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Urban Legend?

Pineapple Milk

In my opnion "Bigfoot" is my favourite, whats yours?! :D

And don't forget to check out my "Best urban myth" blog to! ;)

• Like 1

Mine is "Aren't You Glad You Didn't Turn on the Lights?"

Never heard. Let me guess. One drunk man end up with ugly girl and in the morning she ask him that?

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

Maybe a drunk girl ended up with a ugly man and that's the reason she didn't want the lights on.

• Like 1

"Aren't You Glad You Didn't Turn on the Lights?"

Legend goes, a college girl comes back to the dorm late one night and does not turn on the lights. In the light of the next day, it is discovered that her roommate was killed, and the words "Aren't You Glad You Didn't Turn on the Lights?" were written on the wall.. There's a couple of variations but that's basically the story.

There are too many UL's out there that I like for me to choose just one. There's a lot of them I like for different reasons.

• Like 2

I've got to admit "Aren't You Glad You Didn't Turn on the Lights?" is great! :D

In my area there is a story about marys grave.a girl died in her house and if u go to her gravesh will vist u in the night

Thats interesting which country do you live in? If you don't mind me asking. :D

In my area there is a story about marys grave.a girl died in her house and if u go to her gravesh will vist u in the night

puts on clothes ... here comes my date .. is she cute ?

"Aren't You Glad You Didn't Turn on the Lights?"

Legend goes, a college girl comes back to the dorm late one night and does not turn on the lights. In the light of the next day, it is discovered that her roommate was killed, and the words "Aren't You Glad You Didn't Turn on the Lights?" were written on the wall.. There's a couple of variations but that's basically the story.

There are too many UL's out there that I like for me to choose just one. There's a lot of them I like for different reasons.

Scary. Is it based on some similar event?

Maybe a drunk girl ended up with a ugly man and that's the reason she didn't want the lights on.

Thats also one scenario.

Scary. Is it based on some similar event?

Thats also one scenario.

I am pretty darn sure that no true crime event happened. At least not the UL version. There have been true crimes where the killer waited till everyone was asleep, like the Villisca and Crouch murders. A few crimes where writing was left, Mansons crew being the most famous. But nothing that really matches the UL. Geez, I miss JVE.

A UL that is quite closely related is the "Licked Hand" UL. Death in the dark still... This one the person wakes in the dark, dog licks hand, and person goes back to sleep. Come light, the dog was dead, the killer did the hand licking. This one sometimes has writing on the wall, sometimes not. Licked Hand is generally thought of to be the older of the two UL's.

My notion on "Lights"... It is a fairly recent variation to come onto the scene. I think it is in part due to a cropping up of "college kids killed by killer who tinkers with them" movies like Scream, I know what you did last summer, ect. Also possibly in part due to a lot of campus violence getting a lot more media attention.

I still don't have a fave... But some I like a lot...

Hell rides... It's not just one gate, it's a few of them to pass through.

Pentagrams of doom.. Where you take five points on a map and draw a star, and POW! instant evil.

Walled Lake Child Killer- because it is so untrue and totally skewed off some real crime, I find it a particularly fascinating study of a UL.

Werewolves and canine kin.

Food related UL's, there's a bunch of them.

• Like 1

I never heard any of it. Im UL newbie. I know about Licking hand. But others dont. If isnt hard to you I would appriciated that you describe in such penetratin way as you did on Lights.

The Licked Hand....

A dog owner is awakened in the night by something, but is reassured when they feel a licking on their hand, thinking it's the dog. So they don't get up or check anything. Come light of day, it wasn't the dog that licked, it was the intruder.

Usually the dog is dead, sometimes it was let outside, or locked up, or distracted with food. Sometimes there is writing left behind to the effect of "People can lick hands too", but some versions don't have that. It's more common that the owners were robbed rather than people were killed.

It is purported that this tale goes back in virtually unaltered form to the late 1800's. I haven't done the chainback to see if this is true or not.

I live on long island ny just a search marys grave there are some story on the net. I might have the story wrong there are all kinds of versions i have a friend in Pennsylvania

He saw a bigfoot and he is a judge.

• 4 weeks later...

The Hook Man was popular in our high school.

A guy and girl are parked down a dark country road. They've got the radio on and the music is interrupted by an urgent bulletin warning of an escaped murderer from a nearby prison. An identifying feature is that he has a hook in place of a hand that had been cut off many years ago. The girl gets scared and wants to go home so they drive away.

The girl gets out at her house and when she goes to close the car door there's a bloody hook hanging from the door handle.

(this works best with those pre 1990 cars with the old pull down handles) :)

My favourites are any that have to do with haunted roads. Anyone have any favourite haunted roads?

• Like 1

My favourites are any that have to do with haunted roads. Anyone have any favourite haunted roads?

In New Mexico, Highway 666 has a bad reputation. With everything from ghosts, demons, and way too many traffic fatalities. They finally changed the name to Highway 393. People still say the devil appears on that highway at night.