Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skydiver Felix Baumgartner fell faster

Still Waters

Austrian Felix Baumgartner fell even faster during his historic skydive last October than was originally thought.

Subsequent analysis has revealed that the daredevil attained a speed of 1,357.6km/h (843.6mph) when he leapt from his stratospheric balloon.

It is about 15km/h (10mph) above what was initially reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21341485

Yes - Very brave. I just wonder if something had happened to himand he was critically injured or killed, if his insurance would have paid out.

• Like 1

Flippin 200 pound brass balls were affected by the Earths gravity.

This guy is stone cold.

I could not imagine making that jump, not in a million years.

Now I'm the opposite; were I younger and had the money I would love doing something like that. That one has already been done so it would have to be different, but wow what an experience, and not really that dangerous.

I hope this doesn't become a trend for thrill seekers. Hate to have people dropping down all over the place........

Wow we now learnt you can plummet faster then the speed of sound. :tu:

You may think Felix had some steel "you know what's" but think about Mr Joseph Kittinger who did the same thing (well nearly....19miles compared to 24miles....) back in 1960.

This was before advanced pressure suits and reliable heaters in the capsule.

If you get a chance to see the video of Jo Kittinger taking his plunge you will understand that this guys "you know what's" must have been bigger than Ben Hur because "nobody" had done this before.

BTW Jo Kittinger held the record until Felix did his jump, also Jo was the director for Felix (seeing he was the only person qualified).

Here is a bit of info regarding Jo Kittinger:

Colonel Joseph William Kittinger II (born July 27, 1928 in Tampa, Florida, United States) is a former command pilot, career military officer and retired Colonel in the United States Air Force. He is most famous for his participation in Project Manhigh and Project Excelsior, in 1960 setting the record longest skydive, from a height greater than 31 kilometres (19 mi).[1] He was also the first man to make a solo crossing of the Atlantic Ocean in a gas balloon.

Serving as a fighter pilot during the Vietnam War, he achieved an aerial kill of a North Vietnamese jet fighter and was later shot down himself, spending 11 months as a prisoner of war in a North Vietnamese prison. In 2012, at the age of 84, he participated in the Red Bull Stratos project as capsule communicator, directing Felix Baumgartner on his record-breaking 39 kilometres (24 mi) freefall from Earth's stratosphere.