Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Honest question to atheists

Blood_Sacrifice

Do you ever wish for there to be an afterlife? Note I said "wish" not believe. I am not saying there has to be one, or it is logical/rational enough to believe in one. But do you wish for there to be some kind of existence after this "life", where all wrongs will be corrected and such that. This doesn't have to be the same afterlife concept of most theistic religions, but just some form of existence once you die. Do you wish there to be one?

• Like 2

I can't say I've really sat around and wished for there to be an afterlife, but the idea of an afterlife of eternal bliss does sound nice.

It's a nice concept but I haven't ever found myself wishing for it.

I'm a generally good person because it's who I am and who I want to be, not because I'm hoping for a good afterlife.

If there is an afterlife then I'll shake the hand of whoever's up there and congratulate them on how good their hide-and-seek skills are, before being welcomed in with open arms.

• Like 2

i do not WISH for it, but i can imagine that something like a form of life after the one we know is possible. like a "next level" in a video game....

Do you ever wish for there to be an afterlife? Note I said "wish" not believe. I am not saying there has to be one, or it is logical/rational enough to believe in one. But do you wish for there to be some kind of existence after this "life", where all wrongs will be corrected and such that. This doesn't have to be the same afterlife concept of most theistic religions, but just some form of existence once you die. Do you wish there to be one?

I cannot imagine anything worse. The fact that this life is all we've got is what gives it its value.

• Like 4

Short answer to the question: No.

I cannot imagine anything worse. The fact that this life is all we've got is what gives it its value.

This is a valuable point. I'm not sure if it is true but I have often though it.

Generally no, but I have often dreamed of being a ghost flying around the cosmos for all

eternity.

• Like 1

Not really. Not for myself at the very least. I think the lyrics from 'All the Way Down' suit my feelings well:

'I can't believe in Hell

but I've got to believe in Heaven

I wouldn't sleep at night not knowing

that you were somewhere better'

Generally no, but I have often dreamed of being a ghost flying around the cosmos for all

eternity.

For all eternity? Alone? And you never get bored?

For all eternity? Alone? And you never get bored?

How many alien worlds are out there to visit? How many bizzare star systems and beautiful galaxies? If I got that afterlife I would pity those who go to heaven to gaze at Gods ankles.

• Like 1

Not really. Not for myself at the very least. I think the lyrics from 'All the Way Down' suit my feelings well:

'I can't believe in Hell

but I've got to believe in Heaven

I wouldn't sleep at night not knowing

that you were somewhere better'

pfffff.....too bad you can't really have one without the other

pfffff.....too bad you can't really have one without the other

Depends on the religion and how you interpret the holy texts.

• Like 1

you could speculate tho that "an afterlife" would be uncomparable to this one..its like apples and oranges..both good but different

also we would never know the existence of this other realm until we kicked the ol' bucket (:

Whats this got to do with atheists?

I follow no religions, do not believe in god and most certainly would never follow novels like the bible or koran, but afterlife? yes sort of, but only in the form that your genes are based through to the next generation, so part of you does live on. As for ghosts, i have already said before, I believe these are imprints of time.

i would like to know why people ask atheists? I understand today that an atheist is someone who believes in god, but not yours, an agnostic does not believe but is open to proof, an ignostic is someone who will not believe, ever, no way.

so does no one think to ask the ignostic these questions?

Edited by freetoroam

How many alien worlds are out there to visit? How many bizzare star systems and beautiful galaxies? If I got that afterlife I would pity those who go to heaven to gaze at Gods ankles.

Gods ankles? I´d be sick of that after 5 minutes, not to mention eternity.

But the same goes for your galaxies. So after you have investigated your first 100,000 mysterious galaxies and encountered your first thousand bug-eyed giant slug aliens or whatever.... you still want to continue this for ***eternity****?

It seems to me the Buddhist ideal of trying to escape from it all is pretty reasonable.

Couldn't have said it better. This life is special and wonderful because it's all I've got.

Nibs

• Like 1

Gods ankles? I´d be sick of that after 5 minutes, not to mention eternity.

But the same goes for your galaxies. So after you have investigated your first 100,000 mysterious galaxies and encountered your first thousand bug-eyed giant slug aliens or whatever.... you still want to continue this for ***eternity****?

It seems to me the Buddhist ideal of trying to escape from it all is pretty reasonable.

Well it's a highly speculative question, but that would be my preference for an eternal afterlife. Anything you could think of would get boring after a billion years - and that is absolutely nothing compared to an infinite amount of years.

Do you ever wish for there to be an afterlife? Note I said "wish" not believe.

This is a good question, and one I have discussed with Christian friends. Yes I do. Not so much because I want immortality in some form, but because I miss my parents and grandparents. I would love to know that one day I will see them again. However, I don't believe that it will happen.

• Like 1

Sure, an afterlife would be cool as long as I can terminate it any time I wish. I'm really hoping for of course the reuniting with loved ones, but also hoping to be able to time travel maybe in spirit form (or even in physical form), there's a lot of concerts/events I missed that I'd like to witness.

of all the religious concepts... after life is totaly with out foundation of any type or kind in any reasoned form follows function ....

lets start with god .... if god never makes a mistake.... and god made you... why do you need a second chance to get it right... when god made you right the first time... or... did god make you as his exception to the rule of never making a screw up?

point two of god concepts ... why do you need a brake room / waiting room ( green room) for the main event ?

show me one other exsample of when nature has a perfectly ready baby... and it waits untill its a good moment to be born ( more often , when its good enought , it pops... ready or not world , here i come! ) ...

when the critical mass is good... the fire blooms , when the parts come togather... bang! ...

dead is dead , no waiting around .... there is no interviews after life , so no locker room ... if you want a tranformation to some other state or condition ... it follows rules and laws , functions and patterns ....OF WHICH AN AFTER LIFE IS TOTALY OUT SIDE WHAT CAN BE SEEN ...

there is with out exception , no reason what ever to beleive in any form or kind of afterlife ... unless you return as who you are now... and repeat the life you live currently as you... cycles do repeat.... cycles are so common... we have a number of words for it... its called " cycles" and frequancys .... and patterns ... if you are going to return as you , and live your current life an infinite number of times... then that is supported by observable history ...

if god is orderly , and never makes a mistake , and is consistant ... and if god is orderly... then the after life is a myth... but your soul is conserved as a repeating cycle of you returning and reincarnating as you... reliving your current life forever ... being who you are each and every time for eternity .

Edited by onereaderone

If God gets anything He wants and He wants everyone to be saved, the conclusion has to be that everyone is saved.

Now that gets around the idea of justice, but I don't think God couldn't think of a few ways to make it all perfectly just in the end too. The Catholic idea of Purgatory comes to mind, or the Hindu/Buddhist idea of rebirth.

I don't personally think this is the way things are, but I certainly think that those who say God has to punish people forever and can't save everyone don't give God enough credit.