Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aliens...Yes again

IBelieveWhatIWant

I've looked though some of the past threads based around the possibility of Extraterrestrial Life but from what I saw none of them brought up the point I am about to make, now I would have posted it in those threads but they have since been locked so here it is:

We used to think that the Sun and basically everything else revolved around the Earth not the other way around, which has been found as false so is it so far fetched to think we are the only life in the entire universe?? The points I'm about to bring to you have been proven by science and credited astronomers. Now I don't want to get into alien life on Earth or anything like that just the possibility of alien life.

To start there are more than 100 billion galaxies in the universe, on that statement alone brings the odds in my favour because if there are 100 billion galaxies there would easily be much more than 100 trillion planets so just saying we are the only life in the universe is saying the odds of us forming in the first place is 1 out of 100,000,000,000,000.

I wanna keep this post short so I'll just post the main points in this

Second Point. As an educated guess by astronomers and based on the amount of planets found by Kepler in 2010, they judged an estimated 17 billion habitable planets in our galaxy alone.

So now if we look at the 100 billion galaxies in the universe and being generous saying in each there are 10 billion habitable planets that is 1 trillion possible habitable planets, that's just judging but the "ingredients" we are made up of and what kind of environment we need to survive

Recently on Earth micro organisms we found to be living off of carbon dioxide. So who is to say that else where in the universe there isn't other life living off the same chemicals??

I truly believe that we are limiting ourselves for the possibility of finding life by only looking for similar planets to Earth when for all we know Venus could house life. Just because there is sulfuric acid for clouds and lava as oceans on Venus doesn't mean life couldn't survive there,

Anyway guys I think I've taken up enough of your time, so have at it.

Good,bad or ugly I wanna know your thoughts but please no generic 1 word or sentence responses like to try and debunk the entire thing because I can tell you now, it just makes you look uneducated.

I agree with all of this, but none of what you have put is news to us who do believe in other life forms out there.

'just not life with our make-up. " this is pretty obvious.

rereading I think i understand what you want, you do not want people to agree with you, you want people to debunk it?

I do not debunk it, but do not agree that its your idea, " I saw none of them brought up the point I am about to make,"

But, we are on the same belief here, so carry on. :tu:

rereading I think i understand what you want, you do not want people to agree with you, you want people to debunk it?

I do not debunk it, but do not agree that its your idea, " I saw none of them brought up the point I am about to make,"

But, we are on the same belief here, so carry on. :tu:

I constantly meet people (online or real life) who don't think life could possibily exist outside of Earth (some people on here as well, judging by comments I've read on other threads). I'm just posting this to prove that it is almost guaranteed that alien life exist.

By almost I mean 99.9999999999999999% chance it does exist.

• Like 1

I constantly meet people (online or real life) who don't think life could possibily exist outside of Earth (some people on here as well, judging by comments I've read on other threads). I'm just posting this to prove that it is almost guaranteed that alien life exist.

haha, agree with you, but trying to convince those who do not believe is like throwing a bubble against someones head, they never get it.

We used to think that the Sun and basically everything else revolved around the Earth not the other way around, which has been found as false so is it so far fetched to think we are the only life in the entire universe?? The points I'm about to bring to you have been proven by science and credited astronomers. Now I don't want to get into alien life on Earth or anything like that just the possibility of alien life.

To start there are more than 100 billion galaxies in the universe, on that statement alone brings the odds in my favour because if there are 100 billion galaxies there would easily be much more than 100 trillion planets so just saying we are the only life in the universe is saying the odds of us forming in the first place is 1 out of 100,000,000,000,000.

Second Point. As an educated guess by astronomers and based on the amount of planets found by Kepler in 2010, they judged an estimated 17 billion habitable planets in our galaxy alone.

your words ! i have read or heard them before .. i wonder who it was ,, i dont remember that guys name.. its a japanese guy . ah what was his name again ,, he got a phd in uhhh ahh i dont remember ...

yeah i m sure he said those words..

however i agree .with you 100% we are not alone in this universe , and i m sure we have been visited :D

now sit back . open a heineken beer , and wait till they say HELLO .. cheers aliens

ahh i found him [media=]

[/media] dr michio kaku its really is intresting :D
Edited by WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

I've had exactly the opposite experience, It's pretty rare that I see or hear anyone who doesn't at least recognize the possibility of alien life.

• Like 1

your words ! i have read or heard them before .. i wonder who it was ,, i dont remember that guys name.. its a japanese guy . ah what was his name again ,, he got a phd in uhhh ahh i dont remember ...

yeah i m sure he said those words..

however i agree .with you 100% we are not alone in this universe , and i m sure we have been visited :D

now sit back . open a heineken beer , and wait till they say HELLO .. cheers aliens

ahh i found him [media=]

[/media] dr michio kaku its really is intresting :D

Wow I'm quite honoured to use similar words to him :).

Michio along with Neil Tyson are the only 2 people I can listen to talking about space for long periods without falling asleep.

Wow I'm quite honoured to use similar words to him :).

Michio along with Neil Tyson are the only 2 people I can listen to talking about space for long periods without falling asleep.

Absolutely LOVE Tyson.... and Richard Dawkins, but thats another story. Kaku is a little to much "theoretical" speculation prone for my taste.

Edited by DBunker

Yeah, well people usually don't even read 1 line of a post that contradicts what they believe, they usually just try to make a point to just try and discredit the post like DBunker did.

That's all he ever does. He never has a hypothesis of his own but just tries to shoot down anything he didn't learn at school.

For what it's worth though I don't think that looking at the numbers of heavenly bodies is going to say anything other than what should be terribly obvious to all. In my view the human race should have really moved well on from that point now to looking at the meaning of sightings and experiences over the last one hundred years.

Of course many vested interests exist to keep the sheep at distance from the real evidence. That's the real problem.

• Like 1

Absolutely LOVE Tyson....

How can you love him? He was accused of rape and bit Evander Hollyfield's ear off. Terrible thug.

How can you love him? He was accused of rape and bit Evander Hollyfield's ear off. Terrible thug.

I know you are absolutely serious saying that. :yes:

For the new dude.... this is our woo woo guy, zoser. He believes pretty much in everything.

Edited by DBunker
  • Like 2

I know you are absolutely serious saying that. :yes:

For the new dude.... this is our woo woo guy, zoser. He believes pretty much in everything.

Everything that should be common sense for anyone with a little grey matter.

"Grey" being the key word here. :alien:

Edited by DBunker

common sense indeed. says the forum entity who laps up the following nutcake and believes everything he says (do read it please)

http://thedingleberr...wanted-to-know/

ps: its pink matter actually :tu:

Edited by seeder

All I was saying is that it takes more than 1 sentence for an educated person to try and debunk something. Especially if it is near impossible to debunk.

There's actually a term for this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laconic_wit

On top of an easy to find answer for your inquiry.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry

To sum up an answer, astrobiologists are aware that there can be other forms of biochemistry, but searching for stuff in the vastness of space isn't cheap. You have to pick and choose your 'shots', for lack of a better term. Since we know all life (with one exception of an arsenic based organism) is carbon based, our best bet is to look for that. That's also why liquid water on rocky planets is a hot spot, we know life can exist on a rocky planet with liquid water. If you only had enough money to look for something in one place, wouldn't you try in a place that has a higher probability of supporting life as you know it?

Also, your last statement in your initial post is just terrible for so many reasons. Scientific inquiry requires rebuttals, your statement makes me believe you can't produce one.

• Like 1

I've looked though some of the past threads based around the possibility of Extraterrestrial Life but from what I saw none of them brought up the point I am about to make, now I would have posted it in those threads but they have since been locked so here it is:

So now if we look at the 100 billion galaxies in the universe and being generous saying in each there are 10 billion habitable planets that is 1 trillion possible habitable planets, that's just judging but the "ingredients" we are made up of and what kind of environment we need to survive

Recently on Earth micro organisms we found to be living off of carbon dioxide. So who is to say that else where in the universe there isn't other life living off the same chemicals??

I truly believe that we are limiting ourselves for the possibility of finding life by only looking for similar planets to Earth when for all we know Venus could house life. Just because there is sulfuric acid for clouds and lava as oceans on Venus doesn't mean life couldn't survive there, just not life with our make-up.

Anyway guys I think I've taken up enough of your time, so have at it.

Good,bad or ugly I wanna know your thoughts but please no generic 1 word or sentence responses like to try and debunk the entire thing because I can tell you now, it just makes you look uneducated.

Welcome to UM, BWIW.

At present, Earth is the only example we have of a planet with life, If we learned the planet would be habitable for a set period and that we had evolved early in this period, then even with a sample of one, we could suspect that evolution from simple to complex and intelligent life was quite likely to occur. But now scientists believe that we evolved late in the habitable period, and this suggests that our evolution is rather unlikely.

Then, there is also the Fermi Paradox. http://www.seti.org/...s/fermi-paradox

The point is, we simply dont know. We can speculate, suspect and hope,... but we have no way of knowing, not yet.

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 1

I've now got this mental image of Neil De Gasse Tyson with boxing gloves.

Brings to mind Hook ,Line and Stinker ! :tu:

Anything With a "Z" at the start of the topic Im looking for that sharp object to hit the head against!

• Like 1

Of course many vested interests exist to keep the sheep at distance from the real evidence. That's the real problem.

You do keep trying, but it is not working. People who think like you already had their minds made up. Sometimes by the voices in their heads................

But when you already have the answer, you are not going to keep looking, That is where the AA drivel and the like dries up. But you just keep asking the same things, hoping one day that someone somewhere will give you the answer you want.

You even know deep down that all the rubbish you have posted is childish Sci Fi nonsense, That is whay you attack the academics, ohh not, I, I am too much for you as my fuse is short, but people with patience and knowledge are your targets I just scared you off. You always ask Harte and Oniomancer and Abe how things are done, and when they tell you, you give some rude ignorant reply to them, and dismiss thier hard work at the wave of a hand. But you do not hang around with the decidedly credulous, you make the odd supportive coment here and there, well done and so forth, indeed life is all around us, that sort of feelgood crap, but you do not get into deep conversations with the really credulous, like ZR, BR, Bee, TSR, all those with a very extreme and unsupported view. You lot could PM back and forth about your "knowledge" all day and be happy as pigs in mud, but you do not, you go for the opposite side. I have been in some deep conversations, heck even challenged Lost Shaman a few times, and Peri, and mostly lost, yet in that I win, but you do not have a liking for conversing with your own likeminded, I find that somwehat interesting.

Your anti science agenda is comparable to the nonsense creationists are trying to force into schools. In my opinion, what you state publicly about education should be a crime. Just like they should be outlawed for calling that rubbish a science.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I truly believe that we are limiting ourselves for the possibility of finding life by only looking for similar planets to Earth when for all we know Venus could house life. Just because there is sulfuric acid for clouds and lava as oceans on Venus doesn't mean life couldn't survive there, just not life with our make-up.

The scientists are not really limiting themselves, IBWIW. just look at this Wiki about Titan:

Although all living things on Earth (including methanogens) use liquid water as a solvent, it is speculated that life on Titan might instead use a liquid hydrocarbon, such as methane or ethane. Water is a stronger solvent than methane. However, water is also more chemically reactive, and can break down large organic molecules through hydrolysis. A life-form whose solvent was a hydrocarbon would not face the risk of its biomolecules being destroyed in this way.

http://en.wikipedia....search_for_life

Edited by Abramelin

The scientists are not really limiting themselves, IBWIW. just look at this Wiki about Titan:

Although all living things on Earth (including methanogens) use liquid water as a solvent, it is speculated that life on Titan might instead use a liquid hydrocarbon, such as methane or ethane. Water is a stronger solvent than methane. However, water is also more chemically reactive, and can break down large organic molecules through hydrolysis. A life-form whose solvent was a hydrocarbon would not face the risk of its biomolecules being destroyed in this way.

http://en.wikipedia....search_for_life

Yes, astronomers and FINALLY looking for life outside of the "norm" so to speak. Which is brilliant. But the whole point of this post was for people who say there is no other life out there at all other than us, this was to show that it is extremely likely that there is but like freetoroam said, Most people will never get it. I'm just hoping to make it more aware to people who don't believe.

Yes, astronomers and FINALLY looking for life outside of the "norm" so to speak. Which is brilliant. But the whole point of this post was for people who say there is no other life out there at all other than us, this was to show that it is extremely likely that there is but like freetoroam said, Most people will never get it. I'm just hoping to make it more aware to people who don't believe.

We have been looking at the possibilities for centuries, it is mostly that carbon is just better, and more flexible, and thusly more likely.

Early speculation

In 1891, the German astrophysicist Julius Scheiner became perhaps the first person to speculate on the suitability of silicon as a basis for life. This idea was taken up by the British chemist James Emerson Reynolds who, in 1893, in his opening address to the British Association for the Advancement of Science,1 pointed out that the heat stability of silicon compounds might allow life to exist at very high temperatures (see thermophiles). In an 1894 article,2 drawing on Reynolds's ideas and also those of Robert Ball,3 H. G. Wells wrote:

One is startled towards fantastic imaginings by such a suggestion: visions of silicon-aluminium organisms – why not silicon-aluminium men at once? – wandering through an atmosphere of gaseous sulphur, let us say, by the shores of a sea of liquid iron some thousand degrees or so above the temperature of a blast furnace.

Thirty years later, J. B. S. Haldane suggested that life might be found deep inside a planet based on partly molten silicates, the oxidation of iron perhaps providing it with energy.

LINK

Max Bernstein — It’s important for us to keep an open mind about alien life, lest we come across it and miss it. On the other hand, carbon is much better than any other element in forming the main structures of living things. Carbon can form many stable complex structures of great diversity. When carbon forms molecules containing cxygen and nitrogen, the carbon bonds to nitrogen and oxygen are stable. But not so much so that they can’t be fairly easily undone, unlike silicon-oxygen bonds, for example.

LINK - Why Silicon-based Aliens Would Rather Eat our Cities than Us: Thoughts on Non-carbon Astrobiology

I do not know of anyone that says "There is no more life" I have heard people say Life is Rare, or Intelligent Lie is Rare, or even, we have no proof that anything else exists, and that is a correct statement, but I do not know of anyone here who outright says, no way. Other Life does not exist.

I think you will find that 99% of us skeptics (skeptics about aliens visiting the earth) believe there is life out there in the universe :) I would be very suprised if someone tried to debunk it.. because you would have us skeptics digging into them..

I mean look at it.. there is at a rough guess 100 billion galaxies each with 100 million stars.. the chance of there not being any other life out there is almost infinitely impossible.. considering now how many planets we are finding in the goldielock zone without our to be honest limited technology..

Is there alien life out there.. yes.. in what shape or form.. intelligent or rudimentary intelligence .. now that is the question we should be asking..

what if we are the most advanced life in the universe.. that is a good possibility

but I do not know of anyone here who outright says, no way. Other Life does not exist.

sadly I do.. gotta love the deeply serious religious .. :hmm: